TIME TO FIGHT BACK AGAINST ANTIS & SHOW CANCELLATIONS

this is the email I just sent the Saskatoon Inn. I am not a happy hunter.

I am very disappointed that The Saskatoon Inn has chosen to cancel the African Hunting Show event. Some misguided individuals have protested the “exploitation” of african animals from hunting. I understand your sensitivity to their concerns. However, there are many others with different opinions who are perhaps not so skilled at protest or dissent. You may not have heard from us. Perhaps you should have considered other opinions and the facts as well?

I am a deeply committed wildlife enthusiast and lifelong hunter from Saskatchewan. I have been to Africa a couple of times — once on a photo safari and once on a hunting safari. This is what I have observed. In the countries where hunting has been banned, like Kenya, the few remaining animals that still exist in the photo safari areas are crammed into tiny islands of remaining habitat surrounded by relentless pressure from agriculture, grazing, poaching and industry. Wildlife is not winning.

In contrast, in more enlightened countries like South Africa and Namibia, ranches that struggled for years to raise European cattle and sheep that were unsuited to life on the veldt have discovered that eliminating cattle over wide areas, re-introducing formerly rare or extirpated native antelope, and restoring the grassland and trees in balance with native grazers has paid huge dividends in sustainability, biodiversity, and better welfare for both humans and wildlife.

The key source of cash that sustains the local meat market for game animals and allows this success story to continue to develop is foreign sport hunters. The tourist dollars that they spend are vital source of capital that allows the reduction of cattle, the restocking of antelope, and the scientific and ecological management of the land for the betterment of all wildlife and people. But for that to happen, some animals, the mature males and the surplus females must die and be marketed. Every bit of an african animal killed by a sport hunter or shot by the landowner during culling operations are sold to market or otherwise used for human food. Nothing is wasted.

Please understand that there is no practical alternative to the commercialization of african wildlife, except to go back to the destructive agriculture / poaching practises of the past. Some people in Canada and other priveleged countries are upset that grazing animals die at the hands of humans as part of the cycle of life. They espouse vegetarinaism, abhor hunitng, and generally feel more virtuous by not eating meat and condemning all forms of animal utilization. But the alternative to not useing a semi-arid grassland landscape to produce wild meat is - grazing by unsuitable foreign domestic species, or cultivation of unsuitable crops. Wildlife of all types lose everything then.

I urge you to reconsider your ill-informed attempt at public responsibility. Regulated hunters are not the enemy of wildlife in Africa or anywhere else. Hunting, conducted by professionals and clients in Africa or in Canada is sustainable, renewable, and the least harmful use of the ecosystem. A great number of your regular guests are hunters. It would be unfortunate for the Saskatoon Inn to lose their support and business with one ill considered decision.

I will base my own decision whether to support or boycott your busines on your reply.

Sincerely,

members here are welcome to plagiarize or get inspiration from my note if it helps! Send a direct email to the hotels!!!

members here are welcome to plagiarize or get inspiration from my note if it helps! Send a direct email to the hotels!!!

Thanks for your action and input.

.............. Hunting makes it personal while McDonald's doesn't. ................. I think it has to be a constant flood of positive messages ...................

What they can not see they can deny.

Making them feel guilty about the burger has us criticizing the ones we want support from.

I agree with the positive association message. Take back the high ground.

....Making them feel guilty about the burger has us criticizing the ones we want support from...

Agree 100%.

I meant the statements being made about the "unsustainable hunting" etc needs to be seen as foolish.

(y)

Everyone needs to write.

My god......we're is this all going? We are under attack. Where the hell are all the pro hunting advocate groups? You all know who they are. If no one here still does not believe hunters need a high powered well funded PR campaign I then think our sport at least hunting in Africa will be a memory. This anti hunting agenda is gaining way to much momentum.

The letters are the air war, we need the troops to fill the space. I too feel like this has to get into the hands of a group that will put a coordinated program in place. But, who has an international reach? DSC, SCI, AH?

So this is my idea and I am going to throw it out there, if members feel it is a negative to us, I won't do it but I want to get some feedback before spending too much time.

I am going to find every article out there where an "Animal Rights" organization euthanized pets or committed a crime. When they host their animal rights convention (this is a thing), I am going to draft an email stating that I will officially be boycotting the hotel and its chain as I cannot support an organization that would sponsor criminals and those that systematically euthanize pets by misleading the public to get donations. Might even create a petition, it will just be a matter of getting people to sign it.

It is my humble opinion we start to go on the offensive, we are always on the defensive, and hopefully causing them some headaches. They had 1500 people attend their convention, this is peanuts compared to the hunting conventions and they amount of people they bring together for conservation!!!

The OP of another thread that got us in the loop is an SCI Board member up here.
Jason St.Michael of SCI Canada is our spokesman in Canada and has been heavily involved, working with Birgit of African Hunting Events. Unfortunately, even though Birgit wanted him on Canada AM, it would appear that he was not allowed on. It would have cut into the hosts emoting about how her "research" revealed how many species "mourn" for their dead.

We need to reach way beyond the Hunting shows. Those shows are for hunters , we don't need to educate most hunters. We NEED to reach the non hunting public, I've said this many times. And until the pro hunting organizations put forth a massive educational program that reaches the non hunting public we will continue to loose on all fronts.
SCI Calgary plans to have a booth at the Calgary Sportsman Show where probably more non-hunters show up than hunters these days.

You can bet that anytime one of these talking heads is getting ready to ask a question it is going to be inflammatory.

I still mourn the day Journalists had integrity!
Notice how the interview ended rather abruptly when Birgit stated that she was an anti-hunter until she did her research and converted? Bam! End of interview.

Notice how the interview ended rather abruptly when Birgit stated that she was an anti-hunter until she did her research and converted? Bam! End of interview.

Best statement she could have ever made. No way to refute that one.

SCI Calgary plans to have a booth at the Calgary Sportsman Show where probably more non-hunters show up than hunters these days.

The Conservation message has to get out somehow.

so, instead of just talking among ourselves, send a note and let them know how you feel - here's one address: Email meetings@saskatooninn.com

ABSOLUTELY... even far away in Africa, we will help where we can... you can BET on that one!

So this is my idea and I am going to throw it out there, if members feel it is a negative to us, I won't do it but I want to get some feedback before spending too much time.

I am going to find every article out there where an "Animal Rights" organization euthanized pets or committed a crime. When they host their animal rights convention (this is a thing), I am going to draft an email stating that I will officially be boycotting the hotel and its chain as I cannot support an organization that would sponsor criminals and those that systematically euthanize pets by misleading the public to get donations. Might even create a petition, it will just be a matter of getting people to sign it.

It is my humble opinion we start to go on the offensive, we are always on the defensive, and hopefully causing them some headaches. They had 1500 people attend their convention, this is peanuts compared to the hunting conventions and they amount of people they bring together for conservation!!!
You get that petition going Mike I'll be the first to sign it.

Agree 100%.

I meant the statements being made about the "unsustainable hunting" etc needs to be seen as foolish.

(y)

Everyone needs to write.

The letters are the air war, we need the troops to fill the space. I too feel like this has to get into the hands of a group that will put a coordinated program in place. But, who has an international reach? DSC, SCI, AH?
Maybe all of the above. But I have stated here many times the entire hunting industry from gun manufacturers to hunting related clothing makers all need to pool money together to hire the very best PR firm to reach the media and social outlets. To possibly get a documentary made about the truth about hunting and its role in conservation.. This will not be easy or cheap to do but it must get done now!

The other side of this is the economic impact to Saskatoon. Having been in the foodservice industry in a tourist town, the impact of 100 people for a weekend in a town is huge. That is NEW money in town, and if each person just spent $500.00, (hotels, food, gas) that is just 50 thousand dollars, but that money is turned at least three and up to seven times by the citizens. Now that is an economic loss to the town of at least a quarter million dollars, and I was using very conservative numbers. Local businesses and the local chamber of commerce should be outraged!! You can be sure the computer warriors that signed the petition don't give a rat's a## about the impact to a town or community.

Juries tend to be pursuaded by injustice more than sympathy. You get a much stronger reaction from a person when they feel they are righting a wrong. That is why the anti-hunting message is stronger than ours because they are able to get people to react to what they believe is an injustice. I don't think we can win on facts alone. Numbers and stats cannot be the whole message. The narrative has to show an injustice or something people can be motivated to support. The first thing that comes to mind is the slander that is heaped upon people like those Etosha View speaks about. They spend $1M Rand to save the black Rhino, put their lives at risk and they are abused in the public sphere. I think that has to be message. The anti-hunting groups unjustly slander those who are actively saving these animals thereby frustrating their efforts. Just a thought anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThaddeusM4

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you