Thoughts on case design

Andrew NOLA

Gold supporter
AH enthusiast
Joined
Dec 31, 2024
Messages
466
Reaction score
882
Location
New Orleans, La USA
Media
17
Hunting reports
Africa
1
Member of
Pearl River County Rednecks
Hunted
USA, South Africa
In the nitro express and other cases we are using case designs over 100 years old intended for black powder

Some (me) are stuffing foam into the case to take up the excess room to keep the powder stacked against the primer for consistent ignition regardless of the position of the case

I am new to these cases but come from a benchrest background where we used a 6ppc case derived from the 220 Russian to make the most accurate cartridge ever developed

I talked to Don Geraci this weekend who is one of the benchrest pioneers and he mentioned that he thinks the ppc works so well as the case capacity is perfect to seat the base of the bullet on top of the powder column

Has anyone experimented with different case designs for large bore calibers 400+ that would be intended for the powders we have available today?

I am not sure where I would go with this

Perhaps get better accuracy and more velocity in a shorter action would be the goal.

Reamers are cheap. I am an inverterate tinker. Feeds my ocd.

I welcome some sharing of knowledge and thoughts
 
You could look up Messner Mags , no .40+ there but 6,5,7,8mm
Made to use less powder than other larger similar cases and better trajectory as part of that and good
Accuracy.

Bit based off the 9,3x64 Brenneke case .
 
Big fan of the PRC cases - wish hornady would make a 338 PRC

Which makes me think about necking up a 416 Ruger to see what diameter I can get that to
 
Big fan of the PRC cases - wish hornady would make a 338 PRC

If you haven't already seen it, take a look at the 33 Sherman Magnum wildcat. Looks like someone got impatient waiting for the 338 PRC to appear.

Which makes me think about necking up a 416 Ruger to see what diameter I can get that to

The 375/416 Ruger case can be upsized to a 458.

 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,282
Messages
1,571,660
Members
169,392
Latest member
ShanelZ418
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top