The double has arrived

I refrained from saying, but.
Kevin, I love you like some random guy on the internet I never met! But I have to tell you, that red dot mounting arangement is uglier than home made sin!
I'm glad to hear it didn't work and you have to find something better.
Not being mean here, this is spoken out of long-distance random love!

Congratulations on a great looking rifle. I do like the wood. Do as you are going to do and put it to good use.

Re the red dot, I swear by Aimpoint though I do not know if they make a mount to sit on the rib of your double. If some on the forum can not get the base you need (in my opinion that base is way to high to use on a DG hunt as you may well burn time remembering to use a head high mount when really needed) is there any machine shop locally that could make something to suite. An expensive option I know.

Just my thoughts for what they are worth....................certainly not as much as getting a mount made up :)
Thanks for your inpot @Rule 303, I went on the internet and found the exact correct item, Heym USA sells it. It is expensive but I'll order it today.

Kevin, I just had a 505 Gibbs built for me, Iron Sights only... It's going to Zim this August, Buff and Tuskless on the menu .... Spent a lot of time experimenting with different front sights at different times of the day and with different light.. Silver Beads, White Beads, Fiber Optic, Red and Green. Really liked the Green Fiber Optic But, even with the ability to carry an extra front sight in a Trap Door Grip Cap and the where with all to install a new rod if needed it looked too fragile and aesthetically it just did not belong. (not a fan of front sight hoods).. Started to spend more time with a 3/32" 2.5mm Silver Bead but just was not happy with shadowing and it's inability to pick up light at certain times of the day.. A very knowledgeable friend suggested I file the face of the bead at a 45* angle ... WOW... did that do the trick, it got rid of the shadowing and really picks up the light ....
Hope this helps
Below is a not so so great pic of the front sight...
IMG_0708.jpeg

Kevin, I just had a 505 Gibbs built for me, Iron Sights only... It's going to Zim this August, Buff and Tuskless on the menu .... Spent a lot of time experimenting with different front sights at different times of the day and with different light.. Silver Beads, White Beads, Fiber Optic, Red and Green. Really liked the Green Fiber Optic But, even with the ability to carry an extra front sight in a Trap Door Grip Cap and the where with all to install a new rod if needed it looked too fragile and aesthetically it just did not belong. (not a fan of front sight hoods).. Started to spend more time with a 3/32" 2.5mm Silver Bead but just was not happy with shadowing and it's inability to pick up light at certain times of the day.. A very knowledgeable friend suggested I file the face of the bead at a 45* angle ... WOW... did that do the trick, it got rid of the shadowing and really picks up the light ....
Hope this helps
Below is a not so so great pic of the front sight...
View attachment 472128
Thanks Zephyr, indeed my Verney has that feature and it works well.

What a machine, Kevin ..

Really nice display, love the upright piano ;
Thanks Daniel, all four of my daughters passed their London Royal School of Music exams on that piano, it belonged to their music teacher and when she passed away she left instructions that it was to be offered to our family. Of course we bought it. It is a 1923 New York Steinway.

Thanks Daniel, all four of my daughters passed their London Royal School of Music exams on that piano, it belonged to their music teacher and when she passed away she left instructions that it was to be offered to our family. Of course we bought it. It is a 1923 New York Steinway.

remarkable hx ..
Heymway
1655700658961.png

I am sure it wouldn't be difficult to come up with something V, but I suppose we need to remember that the 89b is meant to have classic British styling with no detractions. The original Dokter sight and it's base does indeed mount lower. I tried to buy that base but they say it is discontinued?
View attachment 471968

So glad to see you have your double! It is a beauty for sure.

Optics trade EU might have a lower mount in stock, under the 11 mm they have a henneberger in stock for an 11 mm dovetail, looks very similar to the one you said was discontinued.

I will post a pic of the lower one and the one that was too high as well.

I bought two bases for the kahles on my 470, I think this type was one . One of the two I purchased seemed too high for me, the other was a beauty.

Screenshot_20220623-222615.png

Screenshot_20220623-223121.png

Screenshot_20220623-223312.png

Last edited:
How did I miss this!!! Congratulations on getting your heym. It is perfect and I’m sure it fits you like a glove.

I can’t wait to read the first hunt report!

So glad to see you have your double! It is a beauty for sure.

Optics trade EU might have a lower mount in stock, under the 11 mm they have a henneberger in stock for an 11 mm dovetail, looks very similar to the one you said was discontinued.

I will post a pic of the lower one and the one that was too high as well.

I bought two bases for the kahles on my 470, I think this type was one . One of the two I purchased seemed too high for me, the other was a beauty.

View attachment 472955

View attachment 472956

View attachment 472957
Hi MB, yes the one is much lower. I bit the bullet and ordered the correct base from Heym USA, expensive, but at least it will be right.

Kevin,

Glad you were able to sort it out. Yes, it cost you some money, but now it looks and feels right to you!!! You will forget about the cost every time you shoulder it!

Hope you had a great hunt.

JP

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Warren03T

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross