The .257 Roberts thread

Is that current Hawkeye you bought in a medium, or long action?
I called the Ruger CS hotline and the representative I spoke with told me that these are built on their long action. I haven't measured for confirmation but I do have other M77 long actions so I'll try to get them out and compare when I have a chance.
 
If it is a LA, then you're sitting pretty with options opened up for you, especially if you handload.

The LA magazine box will accommodate the longer OAL loads that use the higher BC bullets.
With that action you can use both "normal" and standard +P loads, without worries regarding higher pressures. I'm quite certain that modern action is also used in the .30-06 which has a SAAMI MAP of 60k psi.

I commend Ruger for selecting the LA for the .257 Robers as that's where the cartridge gets to show what it's capable of.
 
Is that current Hawkeye you bought in a medium, or long action?

I have heard of short action Ruger Robert's rifles, but never seen one... I have owned at least half a dozen M77 Robert's rifles over the years and they were all long actions.
 
Excellent whitetail cartridge, why it fell out of favor I do not understand, my wife’s first rifle was a .257 roberts.
 
If it is a LA, then you're sitting pretty with options opened up for you, especially if you handload.

The LA magazine box will accommodate the longer OAL loads that use the higher BC bullets.
With that action you can use both "normal" and standard +P loads, without worries regarding higher pressures. I'm quite certain that modern action is also used in the .30-06 which has a SAAMI MAP of 60k psi.

I commend Ruger for selecting the LA for the .257 Robers as that's where the cartridge gets to show what it's capable of.
@Puddle
If you long throated the barrel as well you can seat the bullets out further and get more powder in for even higher velocities and still be in safe pressure. A 100grauber out of a 257 Roberts at over 3,299 fps and a 120 grainer at close to 3,000fps is nothing to be sneezed at.
This was achieved by our Australian gun writer Nick Harvey and the American writer Les Bowman to Remington but Remington didn't want to know about it for some reason.
Loaded to its potential the Roberts gives the 25-06 a run for its money.
Bob
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,271
Messages
1,571,236
Members
169,286
Latest member
Josie_Marry
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt Meister
480-410-1594
azklmsr462@gmail.com

have a great evening
autofire wrote on ThinAirHunter's profile.
I think forum prohibits making reference or giving personal references to PH/Outfitters that don't advertise on this forum.

But you can call me. I would be happy to discuss Cape Buffalo .

Bob 813-310-6992
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
 
Top