Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Cleveland Gun Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe, SouthAfrica
Has anyone made a gunstock out of teak? I would like to make one for my Ruger No1 375. Has anyone done this, pictures, advice?

Teak is a very hard and heavy wood. That might have both pros and cons... Standard stock sizing might make the rifle heavier. That could be a good or a bad thing depending on what you want. But it could also produce a more streamlined stock...

Oiling it and keeping it in shape could also take a bit more work as it would be less porous...

Machining teak would also probably be a bit more of a chore compared to walnut. But give it a go. You'd definitely be one of the only people in camp with a teak stock!

I don't think strength would be an issue. If they make railway sleepers out of teak then it should stand up to a bit of recoil!

Many spearfishing guns are made in teak

Riffe and Teaksea are among the many manufacturers .

Teak is beautiful wood but hard on tools, because it grows in sandy areas it soaks up silt. Popular is the same way, a mill I worked in made Popular 4x4’s and it would destroy chipping blades in 2 hours.

Hi Spookstar, a friend of mine makes exquisite furniture from teak, you are right it is very beautiful, if you find a piece with feather it is wonderful. I have made a stock before and it is hard work, but the Ruger No1 involves minimal inlay so it is an easier project. I think what I really like about teak is the density and solidity. Here is a photo of the arm on an old Morris chair after many years of hands, the trick will be to use the Ruger so much it looks like that!
0A2B482E-F2A5-46CB-A4CE-751140F61922.jpeg

Hey Kevin,
I've only heard of some custom stocks made from Teak, haven't seen any, I heard of a PH in Bulawayo who had a rifle stock hand made for him...Teak would really add a little more needed weight to the No. 1!
What I have seen fitted and very nicely done is Tamboti or African Sandalwood stock. Also dense and heavy, also hard and hard on tooling, oiled with Schaftol. Made a beautiful and “hard“ working rifle.

Hey Kevin,
I've only heard of some custom stocks made from Teak, haven't seen any, I heard of a PH in Bulawayo who had a rifle stock hand made for him...Teak would really add a little more needed weight to the No. 1!
What I have seen fitted and very nicely done is Tamboti or African Sandalwood stock. Also dense and heavy, also hard and hard on tooling, oiled with Schaftol. Made a beautiful and “hard“ working rifle.
As soon as I locate the right piece of wood I'll give it a bash Arthur and see how it goes.

I've built a lot of teak furniture and cabinetry for home and boats. It is beautiful but hard to work and tough on tools. Once you get it put together and sanded down it takes a wonderful finish. Oiling is the best because of the natural oils in the wood. Other types don't stick so well.
Show us some pix when you get it finished.

@Newboomer
Do you work on rose wood. I have some always wanted a rifle stock made out of it. What do you think.
Krish

Haven't worked with rosewood. It makes beautiful handgun grips but I don't know how it would stand up to rifle recoil. Maybe Von Gruff can offer some tips.

I think rosewood would look nice but as for the recoil etc?? Hmm

Haven't worked with rosewood. It makes beautiful handgun grips but I don't know how it would stand up to rifle recoil. Maybe Von Gruff can offer some tips.
I have no experience with rosewood but understand that the pacific rosewood grain structure can be coarse and uneven ( a quicker grown tree due to climatic conditions) so is not one I would use but there are other rosewoods and they may be entirely different. The same way that walnut can be fast growing in sympathetic conditions and will be less than ideal for rifle stocks

weight is one thing, but stability is the most important for stocks.
bruce.

Some SKS rifles come with teak stocks. Teak is common in boat work too, used lots of it over the years. Strange I dont recall it being any harder on tools than other woods, and it will go gray if not finished.

Many boat owners with teak decks like the worn gray look, I never did, so I keep it oiled, trim anyway. I ended up putting epoxy over my old leaky teak decks on my boat and the went over that with some thick deck paint.

Saw mention of rosewood being iffy for recoil? Cant imagine why, its pretty tough stuff as well as nice looking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg