Taxidermy Progress Reports

The best PH story I heard was about the guy that Chris Troskie aprenticed under. He was a man renouned for his ability to kill big Leopard and very proud of his number of kills. When discussing Leopard hunting he would always comment フ have killed 73 Leopard`or whatever his count was at the time.

He took an American out who had read the perfect shot and it had given him infinite wisdom on Leopard hunting and as such he didnt need to listen to the old experienced PH. A particulatly crafty monster cat that they had been after finally came to the bait one night and the client was quietly instructed to shoot. Intead of shooting the client replied `we have to wait until he starts to feed first`. The old Leopard Guru knew the cat wa sonto them and was about to leave so he again told the client to shoot. The cat left the bait.
Frustrated and sure that the cat would not return the PH sat down on the ground trying to comprehend why the hunter had chosen to blow the only opportunity that they had ever had on this old monster of a cat. The hunter then said `hes back`. Unable to move into position to see for himself the old PH asked are you sure its himノ`The hunter replied `yes`. Since no other Leopards had been on the bait nor would they dare with the monster Tom working it he said then shoot him`.``And when the cat began to feed, the hunter did.

Now when discussing Leopard hunting the old Ph says`I have killed 73 Leopard... and a GENET!!!

Had a US guy out, on a gemsbok, the farmer wants NO females taken. I am glassing with the farmers rep driving. I said, don't shoot, 11 shots later it is finally anchored, a female. Two years later, same farm and rules, I want one for myself. The farmer goes with as he is sure that I was the problem. He points out the one to take, I said it was a female and shot another one, a male. He asked about the previous wrong one, tell him the story. He has been a best friend since.

This pic is last Thurs. pig hunt with him, now have over 150 this year.

watermark.php

LOL. Im sure the language barrier has frustrated many a PH over the years. A little knowledge is often more dangerous than none at all.

"It would be a BIG mistake to SHOOT, he is definitely not a TROPHY!!!) BANG

Attachments

• 100_0013.jpg
    100_0013.jpg
    836.9 KB · Views: 124
Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome brace of bushpig! I would love to take just one nice boar.

It makes no difference to us on sex, they all die. We are overrun with them. Our kill to date is about the same as 2011. They are also getting bigger, most are 100kg+. The big ones like to hurt the dogs.

It makes no difference to us on sex, they all die. We are overrun with them. Our kill to date is about the same as 2011. They are also getting bigger, most are 100kg+. The big ones like to hurt the dogs.

Where are you located?

Richards Bay. Most are taken near Vryheid or Newcastle, a few around Melmoth. Like the ones near Melmoth, close and the cane rots out the tusk, not as much damage to the dogs.
Where are you located?

We don't know how any taxidermist operates without keeping the client up to date on their mounts.
We will send all clients progress pics of their mounts from day 1 of their mannikin prep to the day it is finished. With all of todays technology there is no reason not too.
I will give you an example. We mounted a lifesize white rhino for a client in Jacksonville, Fl. which is over a 1,000 miles away from our studio. And there was something he wanted to change right after we mounted it, since we sent him a pic right away, we were able to change it for him & he was extremely happy when we delivered it along with his other 17 mounts.
Now if we didnt send him pics of his freshly mounted Rhino, we wouldnt have known to change some things and upon delivery he would have been unhappy.
But since we did, we had a very happy client.
We just see no reason not to do this with our clients. It takes hardly any time and save some headaces in the end. Plus it keeps us in contact with our clients.

Heath, you are obviously on the leading edge with Johannes. Good for you. The sooner it becomes standard the better.
It certainly serves all the positive functions you noted.

The money has been sent. Johannes is paid.
March 28, the shipping company is scheduled to show up and put the critters in a crate.
April 2 the final ship/crate invoice versus the "estimate" is to be sent to me.

Interestingly, the two shipping/crating estimates provided for this project were 40% different.
First estimate Sept 2011 and the current Mar 2012, The second one was much lower.
The items did not change and currency exchange can't explain it either.
We'll have to see what the "invoice" says. Makes you wonder.

I asked for some other quotes for comparison from various providers.
Some did not even bother to reply. Those that did provided "guesstimates", which is as good a description as I can offer for what was provided, were so high it was not even realistic. 125% higher.
One of the companies I had to explain "wall pedestal" mounts. If they are that out of touch with the taxidermy industry I certainly was not going to use them but I wanted another price so I explained.

I'll let you know how this goes.

Forgive me if you have already mentioned this.....who are you using as the shipper?

Forgive me if you have already mentioned this.....who are you using as the shipper?

Rick I had not mentioned the shipper yet; Tracks Freight. Tracks Freight - Hunting trophy shipment agent of game trophies - Freight forwarding - Hunting trophy packaging

It happens to be the one that Johannes has suggested.
I am going with his recommendation after having such an excellent performance from him on my taxidermy work. I got reassurance from Johannes that the last "estimate" will not be very different, if at all, from the final invoice.
I'll let you know.

Johannes emailed me last night and the critters are in the crate, picked up and starting the long journey around the earth.

Cool, I may get to see pictures before I leave.

I thought I would be home free today. Send money and wait for the phone call from the warehouse.
NO!

Shipping is the nemesis of every part of my hunting trips thus far.
Either getting the proper critter into the crate;
or having the shipper know their job and provide you with a proper "QUOTE", not a wild estimate.

Estimates are lovely for planning a "someday" hunt in Africa that you are trying to budget for.

The update email received earlier.

"On Friday we were informed by Delta that there is a situation in the US concerning trophies shipped to Canada via USA. According to new Canadian regulations all trophies via USA need to go to a USDA taxidermy before being on forwarded to Canada. At first it just concerned dip/ship trophies but processed trophies have now also been on cargo hold in the US.
This means we can only ship your trophies airfreight with Cargolux, Swiss Air and British Airways and they are all more expensive than Delta I would expect your end invoice to be over $2000.00
"

Of course there are no new regulations in place. I checked.

There are regulations in place for any shipments transiting any country in the world. Either an EU Vet certificate or an inspection at a US port of entry.
Why is that a surprise to a freight forwarder??
Why is it being presented as a NEW regulation?
Have they never done this kind of work before?
Don't understand geography? What?

I have now asked for:
1. an invoice for work completed to date,
2. a QUOTE including all fees certificates, etc to get my crate here from Gauteng.
3. The exact weight and dimension of my crate.

I will be asking for quotes from other companies AGAIN.

I trusted a recommendation and looked at the forwarders web site finding the glowing reviews of past customers and got other "estimates". I even questioned the two "estimates" provided to me being so different. I was reassured by the referee that the final invoice will not be that much different than the last "estimate".

At the moment it appears that my shipping costs are projected to be DOUBLE the "estimates" provided

I await everyones replies to my requests for clarification, etc.

Lesson: Next time take Euro mounts home in my luggage. :)

It is always something! My trophies where picked up from taxi 4 weeks ago. Export permits where expired....should only take 2-3 weeks to get new permits....4weeks later... Shipper has shown emails he is sending questioning the permits. So at least I know he is attempting to help me along.

Good luck! hopefully its a glitch and you will have your trophies soon! :)

I'll get this working shortly. You have to stay on top of every stage and not leave anything to chance.

More education.

Rick, I hope they get your's together shortly to.

If this keeps up I am going to go over and start checking for ticks with Tap. :)

Someone is having fun with you also, all permits are 12 month issue now, used to be 90 days.
It is always something! My trophies where picked up from taxi 4 weeks ago. Export permits where expired....should only take 2-3 weeks to get new permits....4weeks later... Shipper has shown emails he is sending questioning the permits. So at least I know he is attempting to help me along.

Good luck! hopefully its a glitch and you will have your trophies soon! :)

Someone is having fun with you also, all permits are 12 month issue now, used to be 90 days.

Anything is possible! One would think that if the shipper had the trophies and the permits...why screw with me? I won't pay him till he has the permits. So I am in no hurry......well I am in a great hurry. I just want them!! :) like I said he has show me emails regarding his inquiry about our trophies to the limpop game folks (dont know their actual title off hand) Time will tell!

like I said he has show me emails regarding his inquiry about our trophies to the limpopo game folks (dont know their actual title off hand) Time will tell!

Sorry its the North West Province Conservation Department.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg