Talk me into or out of a Blaser r8

I was not aware of that, when did that happen? Do you know who will be handling the distribution now?

Outdoor Sporting Agencies is the importer and distributor now. The change took effect mid 2019.
I can envisage possible big benefits from the change. Many think it was overdue.

Outdoor Sporting Agencies is the importer and distributor now. The change took effect mid 2019.
I can envisage possible big benefits from the change. Many think it was overdue.

Can't argue with that.

Me thinks it might be an expensive trip. If Sydney is more convenient Horsley Park gun shop usually has a couple in stock.

Just out of curiosity, thought all you Aussies had to turn your guns in a few years back, at least if you believe the U.S. anti-gun press/propaganda machine. Sure doesn’t look that way based on all the posts from our mates down under on this site. What’s the real deal in Australia, a curious Yank would like to know :)

More reasons to stay away from R8
5 shots at 100m, prone with backpack as support. 9,3x62 Norma FMJ. I've shot under 80 shots with the rifle. Group measures 24mm
lqOipwml.jpg

Also, it attracts spiders.
qrd7WbNl.jpg

Attachments

• lqOipwml.jpg
    lqOipwml.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 73
  • qrd7WbNl.jpg
    qrd7WbNl.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 80
Last edited by a moderator:
Just out of curiosity, thought all you Aussies had to turn your guns in a few years back, at least if you believe the U.S. anti-gun press/propaganda machine. Sure doesn’t look that way based on all the posts from our mates down under on this site. What’s the real deal in Australia, a curious Yank would like to know :)

There are strict limits on handguns, all selfloading long guns and pump action shotguns (pump action rifles are fine). You also need a firearms licence.
In order to get it one needs to demonstrate having a “genuine reason” to have a gun. Sport club membership or permit to hunt from land owner is the usual one. Carrying of any weapons for self defence is a big no no. For autoloaders one needs to prove a disability which makes using other action types difficult/impossible or be a professional shooter (pest control). These are NSW rules, there are some differences between the states.

Last edited:
There are strict limits on handguns, all selfloading long guns and pump action shotguns. You also need a firearms licence.
In order to get it one needs to demonstrate having a “genuine reason” to have a gun. Sport club membership or permit to hunt from land owner is the usual one. Carrying of any weapons for self defence is a big no no. For autoloaders one needs to prove a disability which makes using other action types difficult/impossible or be a professional shooter (pest control). These are NSW rules, there are some differences between the states.

Thanks for the education!! Sounds a bit restrictive...how's that working out for you all?

Thanks for the education!! Sounds a bit restrictive...how's that working out for you all?

Don’t ask mate, we make do cause we have to. It’s all nonsense and does bugger all for public safety. Criminals still kill people using illegal weapons.

I live in between Oz and Poland. Poland is far less restrictive. I carry most of the time and I’ve got 3 AR15 type rifles here (223 Wylde, 22lr and 9mm PCC with a 10” barrel).

Oppsite Pole has answered Fastrig question pretty well.
It was a knee jerk reaction to a mass shooting in 1996. This was carried out by a person who was clearly identified with mental issues. Perhaps the system let us down in allowing him a firearms licence. Coincidentally the government were able to outline there planned legislation quite quickly.
Regardless you can have good numbets of firearms if you give reason on a permit to aquire prior to any new aquisition. They have identified some people own on excess of 100 legally but the antis oppose this.
Registration of existing firearms came into effect quickly in 1996.
One of the main reasons the Politicians kept using was that they did not want to "Have a gun culture like America" we always had more restrictions. Particuarly handguns for civillian use. Target shooting only.
Some semis somewhat restricted pre 96 dependant of state laws.
No silencers or machine guns. No tax stamp approval.
Nothing has changed as fas as stopping killing if someone is intent on it. They use other methods.
Firearms have always been used in Australia and many shooters only shoot targets but hunting is allowed on private property some public land subject to permit.
FYI our last bad shooting lindt Cafe Martin Place Sydney was of terrorist persuasion and on bail. He was shot dead when the building was stormed and at least one civilian was injured by friendly fire. A police sniper was in position for a considerable time (days?) But not given a green light. My bet is there will always be fatalities if it was stormed. Its Likely the offender was going out dead either way no arrest no incareration.
When the media report that special buullets were used to break glass you wonder is that bad reporting or bad information provided? I would have thought a frangible bullet would be better in close quarters.

Oppsite Pole has answered Fastrig question pretty well.
It was a knee jerk reaction to a mass shooting in 1996. This was carried out by a person who was clearly identified with mental issues. Perhaps the system let us down in allowing him a firearms licence. Coincidentally the government were able to outline there planned legislation quite quickly.
Regardless you can have good numbets of firearms if you give reason on a permit to aquire prior to any new aquisition. They have identified some people own on excess of 100 legally but the antis oppose this.
Registration of existing firearms came into effect quickly in 1996.
One of the main reasons the Politicians kept using was that they did not want to "Have a gun culture like America" we always had more restrictions. Particuarly handguns for civillian use. Target shooting only.
Some semis somewhat restricted pre 96 dependant of state laws.
No silencers or machine guns. No tax stamp approval.
Nothing has changed as fas as stopping killing if someone is intent on it. They use other methods.
Firearms have always been used in Australia and many shooters only shoot targets but hunting is allowed on private property some public land subject to permit.
FYI our last bad shooting lindt Cafe Martin Place Sydney was of terrorist persuasion and on bail. He was shot dead when the building was stormed and at least one civilian was injured by friendly fire. A police sniper was in position for a considerable time (days?) But not given a green light. My bet is there will always be fatalities if it was stormed. Its Likely the offender was going out dead either way no arrest no incareration.
When the media report that special buullets were used to break glass you wonder is that bad reporting or bad information provided? I would have thought a frangible bullet would be better in close quarters.

Case in point. The psycho from Lindt Cafe was a convicted criminal, out on bail while being investigated for murder, with numerous reports from within his community to the authorities of his ill intentions and psychotic behaviour. He did not have a firearm licence and was using an illegally owned “prohibited weapon” (a pump action shotgun).

I’d like to make an observation about the R8.

I finally got to mount the scopes on my new R8 purchase. I installed 5 scopes for 4 different barrels. I was amazed at how minimal adjustment was required to the scope once installed. With other rifles I have had to dial quite a bit of adjustment to get the scope at least laser bore sighted. Today, I only had to adjust a few clicks. Blaser’s machining is really impressive.

The .22 LR kit is very cool. It is essentially the same weight, just a shorter cocking throw.

Now I just need this virus pandemic to subside so I can do more shooting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg