Strange Sightings, Creepy Feelings

I was hunting ducks on a large creek in central Alabama with my Chesapeake Bay retriever, all of a sudden Tug started growling and he stood up focused on something behind us. I saw and heard absolutely nothing, he cowed down behind me growling the whole time and wouldn’t stop. I finally heard something walking away over Tugs continued growling.
My conclusion was it may have been a bear which are extremely rare in that part of the state. But I had never seen Tug back down from anything, he would be willing to take on a pride of lions. The bank on the creek was 8 or 10 feet high behind us so I couldn’t see anything when I stood up, this still gives me chill when I think about it.

Dogs have a sixth sense for sure. Maybe caught a whiff of a skunk ape :):)

Maybe a person or bear?

Most spooked I remember being was a 3/4 mile walk after dark between Kraut Bank just below confluence of Kenai and Russian rivers back to the upper parking lot. Not a smart move. I should have known better because there was a reason everyone had vacated this popular fishing area at about 4 pm. Fishing was so good I stayed until well after sundown. This is an area that has one of the highest rates of serious encounters between people and brown bears of anywhere in AK. Adding to the potential, some idiot semi-local from Skankorage had put a bullet from an SKS into and crippled a sow bear a couple days earlier. Don’t tell me people living in certain zip codes are magically experts based on their state or area of residence! Thinking back on it and after the fact… I remembered seeing an individual head toward the river from the upper parking lot with his “bear gun” SKS strapped over his back a couple days earlier. Probably same idiot who shot the bear- the timing matched up with the Troopers’ report. Anyway, 3/4 mile of whistling through the graveyard I vowed never to repeat. I have had brown bears at less than 10 ft swim past me while wading in rivers in AK. They might just give you a glance while continuing their mission to cross the river. But walking down a trail in the dark with a crippled bear in the neighborhood is a dumb thing to do and not recommended!

So you know that feeling of something watching you? Turns out you already saw the thing looking at you, but your subconsciousness doesn’t know that yet.
It makes for good hunting knowledge, there might be a animal you saw but you don’t know, so it makes you stop and take a more careful look around you.

I am a fan of any documentaries concerning Sasquatch, Bigfoot, Yeti of the Grassman.
I would really love to go on a Sasquatch adventure to actually see if we could call one to respond or actually see one.
I have heard may have multiple times that these creatures smell horrible. Well, if I ever did see one and it screamed at me, it would not be the one smelling bad, the next odor one might smell would be me!
I most likely will have to exchange my soiled under roos for a clean pair!

Sasquatch has been called Bigfoot at times, Yeti doesn't care!

Unfortunately, have dispatched more game @ work, than hunting. We've seen maimed deer in a snowbank for 4 days, how nothing got at it in the interim was beyond me. Until the opportunity came to stop and put it out of it's misery with the only available tools .. it's incredible, the will they have to survive & how much energy it takes to put it down? Lord.
View attachment 581791
View attachment 581793
Man that is depressing.

I am a fan of any documentaries concerning Sasquatch, Bigfoot, Yeti of the Grassman.
I would really love to go on a Sasquatch adventure to actually see if we could call one to respond or actually see one.
I have heard may have multiple times that these creatures smell horrible. Well, if I ever did see one and it screamed at me, it would not be the one smelling bad, the next odor one might smell would be me!
I most likely will have to exchange my soiled under roos for a clean pair!

Sasquatch has been called Bigfoot at times, Yeti doesn't care!
Way back in 1989 I was hunting black tailed deer in Northern California, I was perched on a hillside watching a promising valley and then all hell broke loose! I saw deer, bear and a mountain lion along with several coveys of quail bust out of the valley in every direction.
My buddy I was hunting with came down and got me and said we had to get the hell out of there. We did and I could never get anything else out of him.
I came to 2 conclusions 1) Bigfoot 2) pot growers , probably #2 but I would like to think it was #1.
I might turn into a fan of the cryptic searching shows if even on a very rare occasion they would find what they’re looking for.

We had the yahoos from finding Bigfoot tv show rooting around where my camp is located several years ago, what a bunch of dingleberries, they couldn’t find an escape route outta of a wet paper bag.

Hunted a lease that had an old abandoned graveyard from the mid 1800 on a high river bank in Houston County. Always lots of fog along the bottom and always felt strange driving by on the 4wheeler dark thirty in the fog and full moon up above. Would make me talk to myself once in a while then catch the big green eyes of a cow in the headlights would get your blood pressure up. Plus this bordered a big prison farm that is still active that been around since the end of the civil war. Makes you wonder who is all buried out in that area.

In the early 1960s a friend & i were hunting goats in the Flinders Ranges in South Australia we were camped in the workers huts on a cattle station that overlooked a row of hills about 2 ks away, i got up
one night to have a pee out side looking towards the hills i saw these blue triangles flying around over the hills , i got my friend up & he saw them too. On one occasion the owner of the property owner invited us in to have dinner with them i mentioned the flying triangles & the family said they had seen the same thing, the father said they are UFOs & that strange things happen over there at night.

Dogs have a sixth sense for sure. Maybe caught a whiff of a skunk ape :):)

Maybe a person or bear?

Most spooked I remember being was a 3/4 mile walk after dark between Kraut Bank just below confluence of Kenai and Russian rivers back to the upper parking lot. Not a smart move. I should have known better because there was a reason everyone had vacated this popular fishing area at about 4 pm. Fishing was so good I stayed until well after sundown. This is an area that has one of the highest rates of serious encounters between people and brown bears of anywhere in AK. Adding to the potential, some idiot semi-local from Skankorage had put a bullet from an SKS into and crippled a sow bear a couple days earlier. Don’t tell me people living in certain zip codes are magically experts based on their state or area of residence! Thinking back on it and after the fact… I remembered seeing an individual head toward the river from the upper parking lot with his “bear gun” SKS strapped over his back a couple days earlier. Probably same idiot who shot the bear- the timing matched up with the Troopers’ report. Anyway, 3/4 mile of whistling through the graveyard I vowed never to repeat. I have had brown bears at less than 10 ft swim past me while wading in rivers in AK. They might just give you a glance while continuing their mission to cross the river. But walking down a trail in the dark with a crippled bear in the neighborhood is a dumb thing to do and not recommended!

Dude, that was the year the guy got his face ripped off coming up that same trail late. Not a good move. We never fished that area, too many tourists and anchorage folks there for the locals. We had banks we’d run the boats to and have to ourselves.

On a side note, that was a rough year on the Kenai for bear maulings. Five if I remember right. One guy got jumped out jogging not far from our place. It was the second time he got chewed on. Think the bear were trying to tell him something?

Finally, up close though staying clear .. amazing animals.

1707876593833.png

1707876627172.png

they were able to let it loose.

Coming from the city to an Extremely rural, Northern Hemisphere. I've been to some incredible country in the US, but it can be strange here surrounded by the water, mines & pines. The sky, enormous moons, lights, meteor showers, cold, dark, wildlife. Working from the across locks, up to the Keweenaw peninsula all hours, remote.

I was curious anyone's experience, hunting or not, anywhere that left an impression. Unexplained, bizarre, creepy, mysterious?
A few years ago I wss hunting near home in Western Washington. Blocks of dense forest and clear cuts. Suddenly there was a series of loud sounds. The best I can describe them was a booming roar, kind of like a big cat, then trailing off into a high pitched squeal (whistle? whine?). Kind of came out like "ROOoareee", six or seven times, very loud. It made me check the magazine to be certain the rifle was loaded. I've been roaming around the Western states for about the last sixty years and have heard just about every animal that makes a sound but this didn't sound like anything else. Having done some contracting work in a zoo I've heard lions and tigers roar. They don't live in Washington. I've heard big Brahma bulls bellow in the morning when I lived in California. Similar, but not really the same, and no one keeps any cattle anywhere in the area.
Anyone have any other ideas?

Mountain lion.
Or maybe bobcat. They can be really vocal and make noise like a screaming woman. They scared the hell out of me when I was a little kid and and staying with my grandparents on the family ranch on the Northern California coast. We have lions too, but my grandfather told me they were "wildcats" which is what he called bobcats so I believed him. He called mountain lions "panthers."

Or maybe bobcat. They can be really vocal and make noise like a screaming woman. They scared the hell out of me when I was a little kid and and staying with my grandparents on the family ranch on the Northern California coast. We have lions too, but my grandfather told me they were "wildcats" which is what he called bobcats so I believed him. He called mountain lions "panthers."
You're probably right as there are many more bobcats than mountain lions around in any given geographical area.

We had the yahoos from finding Bigfoot tv show rooting around where my camp is located several years ago, what a bunch of dingleberries, they couldn’t find an escape route outta of a wet paper bag.
Ever notice that they go out at night with lights and camera crews, then they yell back and forth. Gee, I wonder why they never find whatever cryptic species that they're looking for.

Ever notice that they go out at night with lights and camera crews, then they yell back and forth. Gee, I wonder why they never find whatever cryptic species that they're looking for.
I see them as kids who don’t have to work so they make up some nonsense fantasy world and live in it.

I’ve spent a decent amount of time exploring old houses, ie early 1800’s and earlier.

I haven’t ever seen anything but I can think of three specific times that I got creepy crawlies.

The first was in an early home in Richmond, KY. Beautiful place that the current owner is in the process of redoing. We were standing in the living room and I heard a dog pawing at the other side of a door. It was loud and clear, so I asked the owner if his dog was there. He just said nope, there weren’t any dogs around. It seemed harmless enough but it was weird.

The other two occasions were hard to explain. One was in the house of a riverboat captain in Portland, KY and the other was in an old inn. I had been exploring and suddenly felt an overwhelming sense of get out. Sometimes things just feel…off. In each place, it was just one specific spot. The attic in one and a bedroom corner in the other. In the inn, I literally stopped moving for a long second. The owner laughed and said yep, everybody has the same reaction in that spot.

Nothing specific but I’ve had enough experience to believe there’s plenty out there that we don’t understand.

I’ve spent a decent amount of time exploring old houses, ie early 1800’s and earlier.

I haven’t ever seen anything but I can think of three specific times that I got creepy crawlies.

The first was in an early home in Richmond, KY. Beautiful place that the current owner is in the process of redoing. We were standing in the living room and I heard a dog pawing at the other side of a door. It was loud and clear, so I asked the owner if his dog was there. He just said nope, there weren’t any dogs around. It seemed harmless enough but it was weird.

The other two occasions were hard to explain. One was in the house of a riverboat captain in Portland, KY and the other was in an old inn. I had been exploring and suddenly felt an overwhelming sense of get out. Sometimes things just feel…off. In each place, it was just one specific spot. The attic in one and a bedroom corner in the other. In the inn, I literally stopped moving for a long second. The owner laughed and said yep, everybody has the same reaction in that spot.

Nothing specific but I’ve had enough experience to believe there’s plenty out there that we don’t understand.
I know what you're trying to explain .. there is an energy, from homes, establishments, people. Comfortable or unsettling. "If you ever been in the market for a home, looking at many listed, maybe some can relate. As soon as you walk in the door" ..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AbbyRigby0

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you