Stock style question

Stock style

  • Monte Carlo

  • Straight Comb

  • Other


Results are only viewable after voting.

Pheroze

AH ambassador
Joined
Jul 6, 2013
Messages
5,576
Reaction score
9,994
Location
Ontario
Media
100
Articles
32
Hunting reports
Africa
2
USA/Canada
6
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted
South Africa, Canada, USA
My gunsmith recommended a Monte Carlo style stock for a 308 Norma Mag I am building. It's almost done and it is beautiful. I was told it is very good for hunting as it is quick to the shoulder, good cheek weld and handles recoil. But, I have noted a lot of large bore hunting rifles have a straight comb with a pancake type cheek pad.

So what gives? Does one have a functional advantage over the other? Or is it aesthetics?
 
Elmer Keith claimed to have invented the reverse slope comb as a means of dealing with heavy recoil. the idea is that the rifle tends to recoil back and up, so if the stock slopes down then as it moves back it is moving away from the cheek. One of the offsetting aspects of the California style stock is that it has more drop at the shoulder, so as the rifle is pushed back by the recoil, it tends to torque up more so than rifles that have the top of the buttplate almost in line with the bore. My preference is to keep my face tight against the stock so that the recoil pushes me along rather than hitting me, so even on fairly heavy recoiling rifles the recoil can be endured.
 
Very few take the build of the shooter into account when discussing the stock style that will best suit a certain cartridge or shooting activity be it a staking rifle or a rifle that will be shot primarily from a rested position.
A tall thin man will need a vastly different configured stock to one that is shorter and carrying more weight. Bringing a lady into the debate will change the dynamics completely so unless there is a correlation between the body shape and the stock shape then in essence the debate is highly symbolic of what suits me and that may be entirely unsuited to you.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,383
Messages
1,574,667
Members
170,088
Latest member
BrianMcnea
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top