Stock refinishing help

@Rob404 that's a nice looking rifle.

Thanks everyone for your further inputs. I'll avoid the wax for now then. The schaftol gives a glow already, and it gets more sheen to it with each application, so for now I'll just carry on with an application every 2 days or so.

I think I will wax it once I'm done with the oiling, both for more shine and for extra protection against water, my rifle does get used in the rain occasionally.

On the same topic what would you guys think about putting oil on the stock say 6 months or more after I've waxed it. The instructions on the schaftol say that one should rub the stock with schaftol periodically to refresh the finish and maintain the protection. If I start to use wax can I then not go back to shaftol ever again?

I give a little rub down with shaftol about twice a year just because...
I certainly think it is worth doing.

On the water side of it, check out Kanele arms, they had some G96 Gun Treatment spray. I know many will disagree but i used it on my beretta after a duck and goose shoot in the pouring rain. I didnt have anything else handy.
I wiped the water off, sprayed this on and since then the water does not leave any marks on the stock. I decided to do it to all my rifles and so far i've been happy with the results.
On all my rifles i have used Shaftol and then rub in a coat or two with my hands.

For the folks in the US, where do you buy your Schaftol? I've been searching a little bit online and can't seem to find it

I don't believe you will obtain the desired results by continuous applications of oil. Your problem originates in a lack of filling the pores and sealing the grain properly in the pre-oil stages where you should have been working with 400-1200 grit wet/dry with a cutting and sealing agent.

Imho, it would be worth going back to the start and getting it right instead of fighting a losing battle with oil coats. A proper shiny finish can be had with hardly any oil coats, it's the wood polish that gives the finish, otherwise you might as well varnish or laquer it.

I have not used your product, but I would not use wax and then oil.

Here is my plan.

I will carry on with the thin coats of oil, a coat every couple of days for the next week or so. Then I will give it a good week to cure after which I will use an old cloth nappy (diaper) to buff it up. At this point I will decide whether or not to wax it.

This plan could change, as it has throughout the course of this little project.

I'm going to do a coat right now.

@Rob404 that's a nice looking rifle.

On the same topic what would you guys think about putting oil on the stock say 6 months or more after I've waxed it. The instructions on the schaftol say that one should rub the stock with schaftol periodically to refresh the finish and maintain the protection. If I start to use wax can I then not go back to shaftol ever again?

oil once a year is the old refrain.

I put the rifile back together a month ago. Before I did that I buffed it with a soft cloth. Since then I've put another coat of oil on and will do so once a month for a while.

I'm fairly pleased. The oiled finish looks and feels great, even with open pores. The detail in the grain that the oil has highlighted is quite something compared to what showed up with the factory finish.

I did end up rounding the edges off quite badly where the recoil pad sits, it was definitely a much better fit before I started wet sanding. I may in the future attend to the lip that is visible.

A big part of the reason for doing this while job was to lengthen the stock with the pad, I haven't ha a chance to shoot it yet and am interested to see if the point of impact with the iron sites has been affected at all.

Here are some pics

IMG_20170819_162842.jpg

IMG_20170819_163201.jpg

IMG_20170819_163327.jpg

IMG_20170911_184553.jpg

Very nice. I realize that you are in Southern Africa, but I would serious at the Boca Shield and a Montana Sling to protect that wood.

Last edited:
Beatiful! Well Done!

How many coats did it take to get the stock to this stage?

//Gus

Beautiful Wood

just in time for the hunting season... :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg