Springfield '03A3 Calibre Options

That load of yours gets hotter every time you mention it!:whistle::eek: Now nearly 4350 ft/lbs of energy!! Not only more than most .338 win mag loads can do, but equal to a standard loading for the .375 magnum! :eek::rolleyes:o_O Not bad for the old '06 case eh?:confused: Oh and not familiar with the .25 Whelen, but let me guess. Blasts a 117gr bullet to 5400 fps right? LOL.:rolleyes:(y):eek::eek::D:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Guys must have goofy chronographs down under mate.:whistle::D:D
Cheers!
Sestoppelman
The loads for the Whelen aren't getting hotter that is just what it is doing with the woodleigh PPSP 225grain the 225gn accubonds are directly FROM the Nosler reloading site. Neither chronograph is wrong it was checked on 2 chronograph.
It must have been a typo it was supposed to be 25 calibers..
No loads I use have shown any signs of pressure in my rifles Sestoppelman and I always advise people to start low and work up to to a SAFE WORKING load..
How do you explain Speer reloading site getting 2,700 fps with a 250grain Speer hotcore. If it wasn't safe they wouldn't publish it. They have a load that exceeds 2700fps for the 250 grain hotcore.
No my 25 doesn't get 5,400 fps but does do 3,300+ fps with a 115 grain nosler combined technology silver tip. Average for 6 shots over a chrony chronograph.
Cheers mate Bob

I posted it originally as 8.5x53 it’s 8.5x63 Ammo Guide has it on their website but not much info. Created by Reb Werner in Germany
Hmm. Found a little more about it with some google-fu, but I don't think it quite appeals to me.

Hmm. Found a little more about it with some google-fu, but I don't think it quite appeals to me.

It is different I only own it because of the package deal with the 9.3x64. Was a good price for 2 guns and both came with Brass and dies. I don’t know if I would build one

Strong enough but it's a good idea to fix the slow lock time on these old military rifles, Springfield, Enfield, etc.
Got any tips on the lock time mod? I have a 1903 and want to do that but have not been able to find a kit currently available... I already have had a Timney trigger and safety installed.

Perhaps chronos down there run the opposite way, same as their toilets?
Webley Green
If our chronos run backwards they must have been designed that way for us to make us feel good. I doubt it tho. The 2 chronograph used were a Chrony chronograph and a Magneto speed chronograph. The Magneto was attached to the barrel and the Chrony set up 12 feet from the muzzle. Testing was carried out on a 34 degree Celsius day with no wind. Not even a tail wind. If in doubt try it for yourself.
I consulted a lot of manuals and a gunsmith before working up my loads.
Alliant used to list 59grains of reloader 15 for the Whelen with 2,600+ fps, John Barsness used this load for years in several 35 Whelen without any problems. Alliant has now dropped the load to 52 grains for a pissy 2,200fps. Was it for legal reasons or what.
The good Mr Whelen designed his cartridge to perform with a 250grain bullet at 25 to 2,600 fps. With newer powders this is easy to achieve and exceeded. IF your rifle is built on a STRONG MODER ACTION why can't it be loaded to its full potential.
The original 280 Remington loads were low pressure along with the 257 Roberts, 7mm mausers and even the good ol' 06.
With proper loads all these can be given a substantial boost.
Take the ol 06 with a 150 grain load originally 2,800fps with proper carefully loaded ammo you can SAFELY get 3,050 fps with a 150 grain projectiles.
The 257 Robert original load with a 117grain projectiles @ 2,700fps can SAFELY be loaded now to almost 3,000fps.
Why can't the Whelen be given a boost. Try it for yourself you will be surprised. DO IT SAFELY, START AT THE MINIMUM AND WORK UP.
Cheers mate Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LawerenceV

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross