Spent some time at the reloading bench

Quaticman

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Namibia
I just spent the last couple of hours at my reloading bench preparing some rounds for my .458 Winchester Magnum. 400 grain Trophy Bonded Bear Claw, 400 grain Swift A-Frame, 450 grain Barnes TSX, 500 grain Hornady DGS and 550 grain Woodleigh Weldcore. I think I have all bases covered.

That's a lost of different bullets - are you trying them out to see which shoots best?

I just spent the last couple of hours at my reloading bench preparing some rounds for my .458 Winchester Magnum. 400 grain Trophy Bonded Bear Claw, 400 grain Swift A-Frame, 450 grain Barnes TSX, 500 grain Hornady DGS and 550 grain Woodleigh Weldcore. I think I have all bases covered.
Couple of hours? I’ve recently loaded some 350gr Speer MagTips and 450gr Barnes TSX in my .458WM. Not even tried the 500gr Barnes TSX yet. I guess I need another seating/crimping die, cause between resetting it for the different bullets and changing the powder charge in the hopper, takes me far longer than a couple of hours? I have older RCBS reloading stuff, so I guess that’s why? Oh well, I’m not really in a hurry anyways.

CEH,
make a dummy load for each bullet you use, then setting your OAL is easy. Or it is quicker for a small batch of ammo to seat and crimp in separate steps. Matter of fact I never seat and crimp in the same step.
Wyatt,
I used a factory cartridge to set the OAL (3.40”?) in the seating die when loading the 450gr. But the OAL when loading the 350gr is appx. 2.90”? So, I have to adjust the seating die after each respective bullet weights/lengths batches AND roll crimp in the cannelure of each bullet size. I think I really need an extra seating die and “pre set” for the different bullets. I would then just have to screw one out of the press and screw the other one in? What I’m doing now takes a lot of time. I’ve set up my RCBS die to seat and “mild” roll crimp into the cannelure in one step?
CEH

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AishaYpd4

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross