AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.africahunting.com
Media
Articles
South Africa safari operator implicated in hunting scandal
by Dane McDonald

Cape Town A safari tour operator has been implicated in connection with illegal hunting on state-owned property.

A source who prefers to remain anonymous told News24 that in May 2013 Icon Hunting Safaris took him onto the state-owned Den Staat farm to shoot animals after attempts to find certain animals on Icon property was unsuccessful.

Earlier this week a SANParks employee was arrested in connection with illegal hunting on the Den Staat farm in Limpopo.

"He [Johan] said we can go to this farm [Den Staat] and I must take along the cash for the animals I want to shoot because he must pay a guy called Michael...who will arrange the permits and everything," the source said.

"The guy also said it's his birthday this weekend and he would like for us to shoot him an eland so that he can have a braai."

The source said he was unaware of any illicit dealings. "According to me this was his farm," he said.

Denial

Icon Hunting Safaris was established in 2004 and is managed by Johan Hendricks who denied any involvement in illicit hunting activities.

"I'm not on the farm, I am not the owner of the farm...for two years I am not on the farm anymore, I don't know what is going on there," he said.

Hendricks' statement contradicts the source who said he who went on a hunting trip in May 2013.

According to a SAPA report the SANParks employee arrested earlier this week faces charges of:

- Bringing SANParks' name into disrepute by advertising illegal hunts with price lists using the organisation's official stationery and electronic communications;

- Involvement in illegal commercial hunting business for personal gain in a conservation area;

- Falsifying documentation including hunting permits and transportation of game carcasses;

- Contravening of veterinary regulations (health risk as the activities occurred in the controlled foot and mouth veterinary area); and

- Non-declaration of interest in a hunting business.

Source: news24.com

Attachments

• icon-hunting-safaris.jpg
    icon-hunting-safaris.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 110
  • icon-hunting-safaris2.jpg
    icon-hunting-safaris2.jpg
    1,018.6 KB · Views: 128

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Efren35C00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross