SOUTH AFRICA: KAROO WILD Safaris Plains Game Hunt Report

I am really enjoying reading about your trip. It brings back a lot of memories for me and my trips. Cannot wait to read the rest.

Day 6
We had a bit of a sleep in this morning until 6am. Victor had said that we did not have to get up really early as the Klipspringer would wait until the sun was out before they ventured out to warm up.

So we had a leisurely breakfast in the lodge by the fire washed down with a couple of cups of coffee to warm up. I went outside to see all the guys rearing to go waiting around the bakkie's.
As Chris had finished hunting all of the animals he was interested in at this concession he was joining us this morning for the hunt in the mountains.
I was having a wet puppy shiver moment again outside the lodge again this morning. The temperature was below freezing again.
We then hopped into the Bakkie and drove up to the Lost World area where we had seen a lot of Klipspringer the evening before.
Tracker Michael a local from this concession said there was a lot of Klipspringer in this area and it was worth looking again. The sun was almost ready to peak over the mountains when we got ready to leave. In the bakkie was Victor, Mitchel, Michael and myself and Arnold, Chris and Siya in Arnold’s bakkie. My wife was going to stay back at the lodge and relax the morning away reading her book next to the fire.

Getting ready for the hunt after breakfast - Bakkie's, trackers and skinners all ready to rumble
1650877994943.jpeg

The Lost World - Rugged but beautiful scenery
1650878269264.jpeg

We parked the bakkies and on the left side of the Lost World. I was carrying the .243 Brno today with a suppressor. The idea was we would use this with the brass solids on the Klipspringer to reduce the chance of damaging the cape. I also had a couple of 100gr soft points in my pocket just in case we needed them.
We started to walk around the perimeter of the lost world gorge. We stopped every now and then to glass and look deep into the hillside and bush below us. We also glassed onto the sunny slopes above as we the sun started to cover the area.

One of the waterfalls created from the melting snow running into the gorge
1650878650650.jpeg

We found some young waterbuck
1650878766974.jpeg

Young Waterbuck stopping for a look

1650878847895.jpeg

I would like to say that we saw a lot of Klipspringer but we did not. There was actually a distinct lack of Klipspringer this morning when compared to the evening before. We changed tactics and walked around the other side of the gorge to start glassing the slopes and rocky outcrops across from the gorge.

More Klipspringer country
1650879106187.jpeg

We crossed the first waterfall and worked our way along the steep drop off of the Lost World
1650879203103.jpeg

Arnold, Victor and Michael glassing for Klipspringer on the snow covered slopes
1650879256157.jpeg

After a couple of hours of hunting and looking for Klipspringer without much success we started to work our way back toward where we started at the beginning of the Lost World gorge.
Victor thought that the Klipspringer may be sunning themselves down in the gorge out of the chilly breeze that was racing up the gorge. Sounded like a good idea.
I walked over to the edge to conduct a bit of glassing myself and nearly had my hat blown off my head from the strength of the cold wind racing up the rock face.
“Burr” I thought to myself. That wind is nasty cold.
That wind could chill a beer in 30 seconds flat.

Enough of my complaining. We worked our way along the edge of the steep drop off glassing the area across and into the gorge looking for Klipspringer.
Trackers Michael and Mitchell were being more daring than the rest of us by climbing down the edge of the rocks a small way and leaning out to get into perfect glassing position to see down to the gorge floor.

A short time later Michael came back into our line of sight with a sense of urgency and motioned to us that they had spotted a nice Klipspringer ram down in the gorge. He had left Mitchell to keep an eye on him so he could alert us of his location.

Suddenly everyone was excited, me included. Victor and Arnold were in front of me as we walked close to the edge. We started to climb down to a flat top rocky outcrop where Mitchell had been keeping an eye on the Klipspringer. Victor and Arnold were both looking through their bino’s.
Victor motioned to me to come to him and to take the shot.

“It’s a nice trophy for you”, Victor said.
I positioned myself on the rock and Victor collapsed the shooting sticks to the sitting position amongst the rocks. I made myself comfortable for the shot.
The Klipspringer was lying on his side like an Egyptian Sphinx in the sun in an open grassy area with his head facing directly in line to our position. His rear end was facing away from us. He was unaware of us sitting high above him.

My Klipspringer was lying in the sun at the position of the yellow arrow below.
1650879588530.jpeg

I had loaded some solid brass bullets into the .243 magazine earlier that morning as they had worked so well on the Steenbuck a few days ago.

Victor and I had a discussion about the shot placement.
“It’s going to be a tricky shot” Victor said.
“You will have to shoot just to the left of his head into his body to anchor him”.
Ok! I said while nodding my head in agreeance.
So onto the rifle I went to line up my shot.
I had plenty of time so I wound the scope up to maximum magnification.
Oh boy, I thought to myself I only have about 5cm (2”) of area I had to hit, shooting down hill in a strong breeze.
Have I mentioned how strong and cold that breeze was?

Victor was looking at the Klipspringer though his bino's.
He then said, "We should swap out the solid bullets and run a 100gr soft point".

This was so the expanding bullet would anchor the animal better and prevent him from running into the thick thorn vegetation down to the right hand side in the bottom of the gorge.
I agreed and quickly unloaded the solid brass bullet from the chamber and changed it to a soft point.

We were worried the Klipspringer would have enough time to escaper into the gorge below after the shot with the solid brass bullets
1650880252187.jpeg

I was back on the rifle again taking my time about to take the shot. The klipspringer was still lying in the same position sunning himself.
Victor was to the right hand side behind me. Arnold was behind me to my left and Michael and Mitchel were behind them. Chris and the rest of the guys were up the hill on the track looking on.
You talk about a crowd watching me take the shot.

The strong breeze was racing up the gorge and the gusts were pushing the gun around a bit as I was trying to hold the shot.
The distance was 143 yards.
I was struggling a bit to hold the gun steady as the cold breeze came in gusts. I held my breath ready for the shot, the breeze blew again and the gun moved a bit so I and relaxed.
Then I held my breath again ready to take the shot again and suddenly I felt the gusty breeze stop for just a second or two.
I remember thinking the shot was like shooting through a keyhole in a steel door.
Bang went the little .243 sending the bullet on its way.

Here is a mock-up of the shot that I took below
1650880536882.jpeg

I quickly reloaded after my first shot and was back on my Klippy again.
Everyone was looking at my Klippy below through their binoculars.
Nothing moved. My Klipspringer did not move.
I stayed on him for a short while to make sure he was out for the count.
He had fallen over to the side I was aiming to so we could not see where I hit him.
Everyone erupted in Afrikaans. Except me of course.
Could not understand a word they were saying. I just said “You little ripper mate”.
I stood up and stretched my legs after being crunched over on a rock in the cold breeze.
The guys congratulated me.

Chris took this image below just after I had just taken the shot at my Klipspringer. The grin on my face told the rest of the story
1650883353268.jpeg

Victor spoke to Siya and asked him to walk back along the top to a safe spot he had seen earlier to a area where he could climb down and retrieve my Klipspringer. Mitchel decided to go with him so they both took off to collect my little trophy.

I repositioned myself away from the cliff edge while this was going on. These guys had more courage than me at the cliff edge
1650881439702.jpeg

Siya collecting my Klipspringer
1650881897777.jpeg

Victor came over to me and asked me how I thought my shot was.
“I thought the shot was good”. I said to him. “He didn’t move”, I mentioned.
He had concerns that I had hit it in the head from the angle we were at.
He mentioned that the fact that my Klippy did not move a muscle at my shot indicated a head shot.
So he said that I may have damaged the cape.

“No worries mate” I said. “Let’s see what the damage is, when he gets back up here”.
This was my way of saying, Oh crap, I think I screwed up the shot.
But it really does not matter. This was an awesome hunt in an awesome location and a tricky shot.
What a challenge these little guys are to hunt.
I was surprised how quickly Mitchell and Siya had climbed down and back up to us with my prize.

What funky little hooves these guys have
1650882174741.jpeg

Hollow hair follicles with a snow white fur at the base
1650882290605.jpeg

Finally success on my Klipspringer with the snow-capped mountains in the background
1650882338167.jpeg

So I did damage the cape with my shot. Not that you would notice in the photo. We spent a bit of time cleaning him up for the photo.
My bullet had gone through the right hand side of his head and exited out the side of his jaw travelled through his neck and shoulder and blown a hole out through the bottom of his chest.
So Victor was right. Dead right there.
We recovered what we could and I would cherish the memory by making a European skull mount with his horns.
Maybe I would shoot another one someday to make a mount.
But for now I had a skull mount and a cool story to tell my hunting buddies back home.
Time to head back down to the lodge for morning tea and a hot cup of coffee.

To Be Continued...

Great read Geoff. Great to see you enjoyed the hunting in Eastern Cape and you are recovering from your ill health.

Day 6 - Afternoon hunt

Pig Hunting – A passion of mine

Back in Australia a lot of my hunting time is spent chasing wild pigs. We have no seasons or bag limits on them. So long as you have permission from the farmer to hunt on his land they are fair game. A lot of the time they are in pest proportions and culling them is doing the farmer and his crops a favor.
Most of the time the trophy for Aussies hunting pigs is the size of the pig and the size of the tusks on a mature boar. The tusks are collected by many Aussies and mounted on a board or collected as sets of upper and lowers. They are often measured against the New Zealand Norman Douglas score system. Some guys care about score others do not.

Small mob of pigs in Australia on the edge of a swamp
1650966272433.jpeg

Australian Boar taken with a .240 Weatherby
1650966411944.jpeg

Another chunky boar taken from the tree line behind with a .270
1650966478114.jpeg

Another boar taken in tropical northern Australia while hunting scrub cattle with a .338
1650966510580.jpeg

A tusky saddle back boar from the tropical north of Australia taken with a .308
1650966563231.jpeg

Day 6 - Afternoon hunt for Warthog
So this being my first trip to Africa I was keen to continue the pig hunting tradition and bag a warthog or two or three if they presented. So far on this trip I had seen a lot of them just about everywhere we went we would bump into them. I got so excited every time we saw one. I kept bugging Victor like a small child, asking him, “What about that one”. He would say, “No it’s a sow” or “He is too young” or “Too small” or “No it’s not what we are looking for”

To his credit he was teaching me what to look for in a good warthog. I was thinking I was like an annoying child looking keen to have a crack at one.
So after we had finished our morning tea he said we were going to travel to another area and hunt some open crop land for warthog. Yippee !!

PH Arnold knew the farmer and he had mentioned there was a bunch of warthog that would show up on his crops every afternoon. He had dedicated a couple of paddocks to his sheep so they could graze on. We might be in with a chance for a shot at a big one. So into the Bakkie we went again driving off towards the crop farm.

We said G’day to the farmer and he pointed us towards the crops. He suggested we set up in the middle between two open paddocks in the center of an irrigation pivot frame. Arnold has previously wrapped some green tarpaulin material around the base of the framework on the pivot to provide a makeshift type of blind.

Not the best image but here is the pivot. You can see the material wrapped at the base
1650969089471.jpeg

Here is an example of an Irrigation pivot
1650971255533.jpeg

So Victor and I crawled in the framework while my buddy Chris and Arnold headed off to the far end of the cultivation almost out of sight to another blind they had previously set up there.

Chris and Arnold moving into their blind
1650969188645.jpeg

We adjusted the shooting sticks, I grabbed my camera and had the gun leaning up against the pipework of the pivot ready for my Warthog adventure.
The farmer’s sheep were already out feeding. It was not long before the Warthog started to appear. First there was a couple of them then more and more came out.

The first Warthogs to appear

1650969271720.jpeg

Warthog out feeding
1650970114448.jpeg

There was an abundance of game about. Not only warthog but duiker, all types of small birds and kudu cows and their young came out to feed as well.

Duiker walking through the crop behind us
1650970262895.jpeg

1650970333527.jpeg

1650970425739.jpeg

More Warthog came out to feed
1650970509218.jpeg

A better quality boar - But not big enough
1650970568690.jpeg

Kudu Cow
1650970608461.jpeg

Over the fence she went with ease
1650970726762.jpeg

The left and right hand sides of the pivot frame had less material covering the sides of the frame so she busted us straight away
1650970852003.jpeg

As the sun was setting we were thinking of moving to another area when I saw a warthog at the furthest point over to our left hand side of the open crop area. We had not seen him before. It was like he just appeared out of nowhere. He looked hairless and had a sunken back like an old sow until I had a good look at him through my binoculars.
He was a boar with good tusks.
I whispered to Victor. “Hey what about him”, as I pointed him out, “he looks alright” I said to Victor. Victor agreed and said that he was a shooter.
So I quietly picked up the Sako .270 and waited for him to turn almost side on then sent the shot.
At the shot the pig bolted to the left out of sight around a pile of rocks. I told Victor that I had hit him. Victor agreed and said that there was a lot of blood pouring out of the bullet holes on both sides while he ran away. So he would not have run very far.

We climbed out of our pivot blind and walked towards the general area we last saw the pig.
Victor then called both trackers Mitchel and Siya on the two way radio to come help us find the pig.
He also told Arnold and Chris we had shot a pig. Mitchel and Siya got to my pig first and found him lights out on the side of a rock pile on the edge of the cropping land. He had fallen over just out of sight and about 30 yards from the hole in the fence he had climbed through in the first place.

My Warthog where he fell
1650971630720.jpeg

Everyone was shaking my hand when Victor said “You have done him a favour”.
“Your Warthog is so old”, he said “he may not have made it through the night”, he said jokingly.
“He might have died of old age had you not shot him”.
We all laughed.
My Warthog was an old grandfather hog.
His teeth were worn down and he hardly had a hair on his body.
I named him “Grandpa Hog”.

Only Grandma hog could love a face like that
1650971801098.jpeg

1650971849655.jpeg

Me and Grandpa Hog
1650971905891.jpeg

I decided to not mount him as he was almost hairless. But instead use him as a complete skull mount. The boys started to carry him back to the bakkie when Victor’s two-way radio suddenly came to life.
We were all quiet listening to Arnold whispering on the radio telling us there was another warthog on the edge of the crop feeding towards their position. So we stopped moving, stood still or crouched and listened hoping Chris could get a chance at a pig.

Almost 30 seconds later crack went the 7 X 64 and thud went the bullet hitting its target in the late afternoon air.
“Yes, that was a hit”, said Victor.
Arnold came over the radio again saying that Chris had taken a warthog as well.

Chris had shot the pig through the heart and the pig raced off at top speed towards the edge of the field. He then ran up the embankment at the end of the field and flipped backwards in a cloud of dirt and lay still. A fitting end to our joint hunt for warthog.

By the time we had loaded my warthog into the bakkie and drove down to Chris and Arnold the sun had set and we were almost out of daylight. We took some photos of Chris and his Warthog, then we started driving back to lodge via a local town to get some food and gas for the bakkie’s.
Chris decided he was going to have a shoulder mount of his pig.

Chris and his Warthog – The irrigation pivot in the background
1650972169292.jpeg

The drive back to the lodge was a couple of hours away so we grabbed some dinner on the trip back to the lodge.

The funny things that happen in Africa
One of the funny memories I had was when we stopped for fuel for the bakkie’s at a gas station not long after we got back on the main road driving towards the lodge. The bakkie had two warthog’s in the back. Mitchel had hopped out to buy some chocolate from the shop leaving the back tailgate down.

Two Warthogs in the bakkie at the gas pumps
1650972326344.jpeg

The pump attendant saw the pigs and asked Victor in Afrikaans if he could have one of the pigs for his family. Because I only wanted the skull of my Warthog the rest of the pig was going back to the lodge to be used for meat.
Victor asked me if I minded if we gave the rest of my pig to this guy. Victor also said that he knew this guy from previous trips and he did have a family to feed.
So I said why not. Please enjoy.
Next thing the pump attendant had retrieved an empty cardboard box from the back of the shop, he and Mitchell removed the head of my warthog and placed my headless warthog in a box at the side of the driveway next to the gas pumps.
Only in Africa I thought to myself. I love the way nothing goes to waste.

Pig in a box
1650972488133.jpeg

We had dinner and drove back to the lodge arriving quite late. The plan was to get a good night sleep as the following day we were packing up and heading back to the Karoo to Victor’s hunting lodge to continue our hunt.

To Be Continued...

Wow, what a great safari. Keep it coming, anxiously waiting for the rest. :A Popcorn::D Pop Popcorn:

Thanks Geoff, keep it up . It's a great read, amazing photos and I'm glad you have finally had time to write it up.
I'm hoping you got more Warthog, they are cool. Nice of you to give up Grandpa Warthog to feed the locals. A very nice gesture and to them it's a real treat.

Day 7
The next morning we were up early again before sun rise, sucking down some coffee to get our buzz on for the day. It was another cool morning. But today it was above freezing and the temperature was much milder than the previous days. Today we were packing up and heading back to the Karoo but on the way back Victor said he had another animal we would hunt before we left the area.

There was still snow on the mountains
1651285411863.jpeg

We got the bakkie packed and Victor said we were going to make a stop along the flats to hunt a White Springbuck on our way back home. This would be my final Springbuck of the four colour phases I was looking to take for my African shield shaped wall mount.

Chris and I about to leave the Camdeboo mountain area for the trip back to the Karoo
1651285549194.jpeg

We spotted some Giraffe as we drove past on the way back to the Karoo area
1651286107337.jpeg

Chris and Arnold and his crew headed off back to the lodge at Karoo Wild Safaris to meet with Chris's wife. She was returning from her Cape Town visit today with Victors wife Lindsay while we headed over to another area on the property to look for white springbuck.

On arrival at the spot. Victor had already seen some Springbuck way over towards the edge of a big open area towards the base of a mountain. He then asked Mitchell to drop Victor and myself off on the side of the track. We walked a little way across the flat country to a bunch of trees and bushes in the middle of a large open flat area. This spot had a water tank and according to Victor it was one of the only watering points in the area for quite a distance. The water tank had a concrete water trough beside it just 30 yards in front of us.

Sheep drinking at the watering trough in front of us
1651286796979.jpeg

Mitchel drove my wife and himself back along the dirt track back the way we came in on and parked the bakkie near one of the property fences with the two-way radio turned on. Both Mitchell and my wife were going to sit and wait while Victor and I hunted the White Springbuck. Our plan was to wait for the springbuck at the water point and see if a good ram came in to water.

By the time we had breakfast earlier that morning, packed the bakkie and drove to the Springbuck spot we had arrived around mid-morning. The day was beautiful. The air temperature was cold with a moderate breeze that had the occasional strong gust of cold air. We had clear blue skies with the sun trying to warm things up.

My wife sending messages back to family back in Australia - Live on location
1651287565403.png

Our hiding spot was surrounded by trees and bushes that hid our presence well. The sheep that were close to us had not seen us so this gave us confidence that we could hide there undetected when the Springbuck showed up. We could see almost 360 degrees around us except for a few thick clumps of bush around us. We started glassing for Springbuck in the surrounding area.

Sheep to the left hand side of our hiding position
1651287112043.jpeg

Victor spotted a group of White Springbuck over to our right hand side to our position about 500 plus yards away. So I slowly turned my binoculars and had a look at my first group of White Springbuck. Their bright white coats certainly did not help them conceal themselves into the African plains.

A group of White Springbuck off in the distance
1651287258155.jpeg

There was sheep scattered amongst them as well almost everywhere.
After a while we started to pick up a few smaller groups of Springbuck around us and a few younger lone rams behind us as well.
So the waiting game was on.
We just had to be patient as the ground cover outside of our little bush oasis was no higher than my shoe laces again for us to attempt a stalk out to the mob.

After a little while of waiting I was thinking about the shot and getting my head into a prepared state. The gun was ready. The sticks were set up. I thought about how far the shot might be. We had the Sako .270 with us if we needed to reach out a little to our target.
I looked at the tree we were standing under and thought to myself that I had better use the sticks as the spikes on this sucker would certainly draw blood should I attempt to use it for a rest. I had a small flashback of the Common Springbuck shot where I slid off the rock and sat on similar sized thorns. Yikes.

Nasty spikes on the tree next to us
1651288172688.jpeg

After what seemed like a long time a small group of White Springbuck came into the waterhole from our left hand side. Victor assessed the group and suddenly became excited about a nice ram that was walking slowly to the waterhole 30 yards behind the main group at the back.
“Get ready”, Victor said.
I positioned the .270 onto the sticks. I had already fed a round into the chamber.
The bolt was closed and I was focusing my eyes on the group of Springbuck walking past through the scope.
Victor said to be careful not to make any sudden movements and wait for the bigger ram at the rear to get closer to us.
In only a short time the ram came closer and into view.
Victor whispered to me to "There he is", "Take the shot".
So I squeezed the shot off while holding carefully on the front shoulder of my ram.

The .270 cracked and the 150gr bullet made the short 110 yard dash to my target and smashed the Springbuck.
He was flattened immediately at the shot and never moved after that.
Yep! Another dropped sack of potatoes moment.

The bullet had completely penetrated this small framed animal through and through. I remember seeing the puffs of dust behind my Springbuck as the bullet clipped the ground a couple of times and smashed into a larger clump of dirt a few hundred yards behind.
Wow! That was brutal I thought to myself.
We walked over and took sight of my prize.

My White Springbuck where he fell
1651288331057.jpeg

That Candy Floss smelling moment as his main flared
1651288504202.jpeg

Victor congratulated me on taking a good shot. He called up Mitchell on the two-way radio to drive over to near our location. My wife joined me for the after shot celebrations.
We carried my prize over to an area near the dirt track and set up my Springbuck for a photo.

Victor and Me with my White Springbuck
1651289218188.jpeg

A few battle scars on his nose
1651289407650.jpeg

Another view of my Springbuck
1651289441145.jpeg

My wife was busy sending images and updates to my family back home because we had phone service in this location. My phone buzzed. I laughed at the candid shots (see below) she was sending back home.

Of course my PH is going above and beyond for the photo as well
1651289492912.png

At this point of my hunt I had a quiet moment to myself reflecting on what an awesome trip I had had so far. I had taken so many quality animals. Fulfilled dreams I had in my head for over thirty years. Now, I have four colour phases of Springbuck to mount onto my African shaped shield.

Ah!!! WTF - OK enough of that fuzzy stuff.
“Time for a coffee”!!!

Mitchell started to work on my springbuck for the trip home while we indulged in a cup of coffee off the back of the tailgate on the bakkie.
Once we had the White Springbuck tucked away in the back of the bakkie we headed off on our journey back to the Karoo. It was still a cool day but nice and sunny.
On the way we stopped in the town of Graaff-Reinet as Victor had to pick up a few things for the lodge from the shops. My wife and I grabbed a few treats from the shops as well.

Driving into Graaff-Reinet
1651290745618.jpeg

Mitchell was waiting back at the bakkie while we went into the shops. He was still working on White Springbuck cape when we returned.
My wife pulled chocolate bars (Mitchell’s favourite) from her bag like a magician’s wand to keep our tracker/skinner in good spirits. We gave some chocolate bars to Victor as well when he returned.

Mitchell working on my White Springbuck in the back of the bakkie in town
1651291006890.jpeg

Once we had everything squared away we kept travelling on our journey back to the Karoo Wild Safaris lodge.
We arrived back at the lodge by mid-afternoon and placed our bags back into our rooms. We had decided on the drive back that we would have the afternoon off and relax. This allowed the Karoo Wild Safaris staff to re-fuel the bakkies and wash the mud and dust off the vehicles. Mitchell and Siya could finish working on some of the trophies Chris and I had collected while we were away and we had a little bit of extra washing to be cleaned. This was the perfect time to get all of this done.

My wife and I relaxed on the back deck of our chalet. Watching the sun set over the Eastern Cape
1651291445830.jpeg

We got ourselves cleaned up a bit after our few days away and wandered up to the lodge for dinner. We caught up with Chris and his wife for dinner.

1651291598447.jpeg

1651291657274.jpeg

Tonight for dinner we dine on Bobotie and rice with mashed butternut pumpkin
1651291698276.jpeg

Bobotie is a classic South African dish consisting of minced meat with curry and condiments that is covered with a mixture of milk and egg that forms a custard crust.

The Bobotie was delicious
1651291752235.jpeg

We did not have a very late night. All of us were quite tired from our travels. So we turned in at a reasonable hour. I was looking forward to the next day of hunting. Victor said that tomorrow we would be looking for Nyala.

To Be Continued...

Nooooooo!!!!!!! LOL, another great chapter to your safari. Thanks again. Looking forward to next chapter

Ok, ok, it's time to get on it :A Type:, where is the next chapter :E Hmmm: We are impatiently waiting. :D Pop Popcorn::A Thumbs Up::E Happy:

Day 8
The next morning we were up early well before sunrise. Today we were going to look for a Nyala bull. Nyala are the next animal on my list of spiral horned antelope. Victor said that we were travelling over to the back of the property to an area that the Nyala love to hide in.
So we filled up on breakfast and I had a few heart starter coffee’s. We jumped into the bakkie for our trip to the Nyala spot.
Chris and Arnold were off in a totally different direction looking for Springbuck.

Early morning breakfast setting at Karoo Wild Safaris – Cereals, porridge, toast, juice and coffee
1651917134704.jpeg

The Nyala area was a decent hours drive way to the south west of the main lodge and as we arrived Victor said to keep an eye out they might appear from almost anywhere. The countryside started to open up a bit with long rolling hills instead of the steep hills on the lodge side of the property.
The recent rains had the countryside looking magnificent. The fresh green growth was everywhere.

Nyala Country
1651917240550.jpeg

Our first stop for a walk and look around with the binoculars
1651917341991.jpeg

Today we had tracker/skinner Siya along with Victor and myself. This hunt was a traditional spot and stalk hunt. We would drive along the property tracks to a likely area then get out of the bakkie and walk, glass, walk, look and see if we could find a nice bull.

Victor and Siya glassing for Nyala from a high vantage point
1651917460184.jpeg

We did a number of walks and found a few Nyala ewes and younger bulls but nothing worth looking closer at. The bush started to get thicker as we hunted deeper into that part of the property.
We also saw a bunch of other plains game just to keep us busy on the bino’s.

The bush was getting thicker with narrow passage ways between the cactus and thorn bushes
1651918023061.jpeg

We kept moving to new vantage points on the top of the hills and glassed some more into the opposite sides and into the valleys below us. Today I had the Sako .270 with me. The air was cool but not freezing today. I thought it was only a matter of time before we would find something worth taking a closer look at.

After a few hours of hunting we moved to another vantage point on top of a hill at a different location. We steadied ourselves for more glassing across the valley looking around every bush and opening. Almost immediately Victor said there was a Nyala bull way over there on the hillside opposite us. He was feeding just on the edge of an open area.
He looked promising. The best one yet.
We made a plan to head back over to our right hand side of the hill that we were on. This would conceal our decent down the hill, then using the thick bush as cover we should be able to stalk up the opposite side of the ridge to see the bull.

We left Siya at the top of the hill across from the bull with a two-way radio to contact us if he started to move. Victor and I had our knees to chest double timing it down the hill and up the other side as quietly as possible. We checked what wind their was. It was perfect. We also checked that the shooting sticks were adjusted to the correct height ready for me to take the shot.
Then we slowed our approach as we started to crest the hill directly across from the bull’s previous location.

The Nyala bull was in here
1651920388140.jpeg

We stopped a few times and glassed when we reached the top of the hill. We could not find the bull. The bush was thicker and taller than we thought. Victor was whispering on the two-way radio to Siya who informed us that the bull had only moved a couple of yards away from us but was still in the same location.
Victor turned to me and whispered, “We should move slowly downhill a little and see if we can see the bull”.
Trying to make no noise while moving slowly through the bush was difficult if not impossible. The thorn bush scraped on our clothing and the odd stick and bush limbs cracked as we pushed through the thicker sections. I was sure that this would alert the bull of our presence. There was almost no wind now at our location so we had to be quiet and keep our movement slow.

All of a sudden Victor spotted the bull directly over from us. He quickly set up the shooting sticks and motioned me to get ready. I was on the shooting sticks had the gun pointed at the bull. The bull had seen us and was frozen still looking back over at us.
Victor said, “Wait, I need to confirm the bull”

I was looking at the bull through the scope. He looked awesome, his mane hairs on the back of his neck was sitting up and was slowly waving in the morning light. He was facing away from us with his body at an angle pointing towards 10 o’clock.
This meant I would have to place my shot just in front of his hind leg on his left side aiming to just left of his front right leg on the opposite side to punch the bullet through his ribs and through his vitals.
I had no doubt the 150gr bullet would have no problems doing this. All of this by the way took place in just a matter of seconds.

“Yes, take the shot”, Victor said looking through his binoculars.
I took the shot just as the bull was about to run. He looked like he was about to spring out of the small opening in the bush he was standing in.
My shot hit the mark and the Nyala stumbled just out of sight in the thick of the bush.

This is where the Nyala bull was when we took the shot
1651920670787.jpeg

We could hear him crashing in the bushes and clanging rocks with his hooves just over from us. We remained stationary and quietly listened for a moment. The noise was not moving but rather coming from the same spot. So we suspected he had collapsed and was down.
Victor asked me how my shot was. I replied "Text book shot my friend!!"
He laughed.
To be sure Victor and I double timed it down into the little valley and up to the bull on the side of the hill to make sure he was down and out for the count.

This was the first sight I had as we approached my Nyala Bull - He was lights out
1651921112952.jpeg

We found my bull. He was down and out. I had another little fist pump moment of excitement.
Victor congratulated me. We looked at my prize.
My bull had a beautiful cape with a long colourful mane hairs running right down his back to his tail. One of the tips of his horns was rubbed to a knob. He had a lot of character.
We had a good hunt, long stalk, a bit of uncertainty as to where the bull had gone then we ended with a bit of a flurry and excitement to finish things off. I think from memory Victor called it "A Classic African Sh!t Show"

The long colourful hairs on a Nyala are amazing
1651921265913.jpeg

Victor called Siya on the two-way radio and asked him to drive the bakkie down as far as he could then walk over and join us for the post shot preparation and extraction of the Nyala to the bakkie. Siya showed up a short time later.

Looking back - This is where we originally spotted the Nyala
1651921599983.jpeg

Nyala bull and the Sako .270
1651921731517.jpeg

Me and my Bull
1651921809856.jpeg

He had a beautiful head skin
1651921906705.jpeg

Looking back the other way at all the colours and stripes
1651921994944.jpeg

Victor sending a text to let Chris and Arnold know about our success
1651922057133.jpeg

Victor and Siya field dressing the Nyala for transport back down to the bakkie
1651922175866.jpeg

Ready for the magic blue carpet ride out of the bush
1651922285210.jpeg

Hauling Nyala – At least it was down hill - I followed up from behind with the rifle and shooting sticks
1651922358419.jpeg

We had him loaded into the bakkie in no time
1651922506221.jpeg

My bull loaded ready for the trip back to the skinning shed
1651922623084.jpeg

We drove my Nyala back to the skinning shed so Siya could get to work on removing his cape. I was thinking of a pedestal mount for this guy.
We had been away hunting all morning so I was keen for some lunch and another cup of coffee. So Victor and I headed back to the lodge for lunch. When we arrived the staff were cooking Roostekoek (Barbecue bread rolls) on the Braai to accompany our lunch.

Roostekoek on the braai
1651922698279.jpeg

Chris was all smiles when we sat down for lunch telling us he had shot a nice Common Springbuck earlier that morning.

Chris and his Springbuck
1651922925546.jpeg

We had a leisurely lunch. The afternoon hunt was already planned. Chris and I would be hunting together for Common Duiker for the rest of the afternoon until dark. Then we would try our chance after dark for a Cape Grysbok under spotlight. If I was successful this would be number three and four towards my tiny ten.

To Be Continued....

Day 8 – Afternoon Hunt
Both Chris and I had been keen to hunt the common duiker. So Victor said that he and Arnold had an area where there was a blind and a pile of old oranges from the local farm dumped across from the blind next to a water hole. He said there were often duikers and other animals there in the afternoon.
So into the bakkie we went again off to hunt some duiker.
Chris and I were hunting together again with Victor who had trackers Mitchell and Siya join us for the hunt. PH Arnold and his fiancé Larochelle (Chelle) joined us on this hunt as well.

After just over an hour’s drive to the hunting location we parked the bakkie off the side of the track in a small cleared area in the bush leaving Chelle, Mitchell and Siya back at the bakkie with the two-way radio. Chris, Victor, Arnold and myself started our walk towards the blind. We walked along some animal tracks into the thick bush occasionally ducking and pushing our way through the vegetation. The bush was thick. Our PH had explained to both Chris and I that there was an open area in front of the blind to take a shot should one present. But while walking our way there I could not imagine this especially with the amount of times we had to push through the thorns and thick bush. We veered slightly to the left and crawled into the ground blind.

The blind was a natural group of low lying trees with thick foliage around its perimeter. It had a hole in the tree to shoot from like a window allowing a good view over the area in front of us.
In front of us was the open area they spoke about next to small water hole There was a pile of old rotting oranges off to the side.

Duiker Country
1652091617154.jpeg

We set up the Brno .243 with the suppressor attached onto the sticks and loaded it with solid brass bullets. The brass solid bullets were loaded so we could be as gentle as we could on this small antelope cape but still have the reach of the .243 if we needed it. The blind had old milk crates turned upside down as seats so we did not have to sit on the ground.

Milk crates seats in the blind
1652091735836.jpeg

PH Arnold and Chris waiting in the blind for the Duiker to appear
1652091788542.jpeg

The view over the rifle to the orange pile
1652091912222.jpeg

We had been waiting no more than 15 minutes when Arnold whispered to Chris that a Duiker had appeared at the right hand edge of the bush. Arnold confirmed it to be a ram and gave Chris the ok to take the shot. Chris shot the Duiker dropping him on the spot.

Walking over to check out Chris’s Duiker
1652092013098.jpeg

The pile of oranges used to attract the Duiker's
1652092082080.jpeg

Victor, Chris and Arnold checking out Chris’s Duiker
1652092169325.jpeg

Chris’s Duiker
1652092278579.jpeg

Chelle and Mitchell had joined us for the post shot setup and celebrations
1652092381015.jpeg

Chris and his Duiker
1652092453392.jpeg

Chris's Duiker had a nice cape for a shoulder mount
1652092502504.jpeg

After we had finished taking photos of Chris’s duiker and field dressing the ram the sun had set and it was getting quite dark. We decided to get back into the bakkie and move to another area for me to take a chance at a Duiker. The plan was to set up the spotlight and hunt for some night time animals as well when it became to dark to see. On the way to this spot Victor saw another Duiker ram just over to our right hand side. He quickly assessed him telling me to take the shot.

I jumped out of the bakkie to get into a better position for the shot and used an old wooden fence post next to the track we were driving as a support. I had previously turned the scope down to four power as it was almost too dark to see. The Duiker was approximately 55 yards away. Luckily I could see him quite easily in the scope. He was standing exactly side on his body facing to the left. He was perfectly still his head turned looking directly at us.
I aimed behind his shoulder and took the shot.
The bullet went straight through him leaving a cloud of dust lingering in the air behind him. My ram bolted away to the left at a very high speed into a thick part of the bush as if he had not been hit at all.
We lost sight of him very quickly in the darkness. Unlike Chris’s duiker mine did not look like he was hit at all. But I was confident I had taken a good shot.
Victor asked Mitchell and Siya to go and look for my ram. They both raced over to the area with flashlights to look for blood. Mitchell yelled back at us that he had found some blood. They started to track the ram in the dark with flashlights. It was a strange experience as all we could see was the flashlights pointed at the ground wandering through the bush from right to left. Sometimes they stopped then they gained pace then back tracked then suddenly swirled at one spot thick in the bush.

We heard a bunch of chatter and laughter then some Afrikaans words yelling back to us. Victor turned to me and said that they had found my Duiker. My Duiker had only travelled about 20 yards. But I was amazed that they found it in that thick bush in the dark. It was a mighty job what these guys did to find him.

My Duiker on the grass beside the Bakkie
1652093438877.jpeg

Me and my Duiker the third of the tiny ten for me
1652093470139.jpeg

Mitchell went to work on my duiker skinning him out for a life size mount. I had decided by this time that I would mount all of the tiny ten as life size mounts.

We had some dinner off the back tailgate of the bakkie. Victor had the lodge staff make some game meat and salad wraps for dinner. These were very tasty and we washed them down with a couple of cups of hot coffee.
Victor said that once we had finished eating we were going to connect up the hand held spotlight and look for Cape Grysbok. The area had a good population of them according to Victor.

We finished up our meal and were off again in the bakkie. I was on the back with the .243 with Arnold looking for one of these tiny antelope. Arnold was running the light into every open area and under every bush that we could see into. Chris was up front in the front of the cab chatting to Victor with the heater turned up. We did see a few Cape Grysbok's mostly ewes and one young ram. But we did not find a respectable trophy. We hunted for a few more hours, until Arnold and I were almost frozen solid on the back of the bakkie. We decided to call it a night and headed back to the lodge. We arrived back at the lodge just after midnight looking forward to a good night sleep.

To Be Continued....

What a great hide on the Nyala !

Day 9
The next morning we were up early well before sunrise and drove to the Addo Elephant National Park. All of us were indulging in the tourist thing at the National Park today.
So if your not into National Park images of animals then wait for the next instalment that is Day 10. We will be back hunting after the tourist day at Addo.

We drove around the park seeing various animals.
At midday we drove back to the main entrance area. We purchased some tourist items like t-shirts and trinkets for our kids back home. We had a steak and salad lunch and spent the day relaxing, taking photos and enjoying the sight that the park had on offer. The wives and us guys had a great time.

1652693431807.jpeg

1652693482119.jpeg

1652693530199.jpeg

1652693583681.jpeg

1652693759863.jpeg

1652693808896.jpeg

1652693846978.jpeg

1652693879886.jpeg

1652693928523.jpeg

After our day at Addo we drove back to the lodge and sat around the camp fire early evening enjoying a few refreshments and talking about things like hunting, calibers and bullets of course.

Tonight's Menu
1652694372902.jpeg

After dinner we celebrated into the night with Victor, Lindsay, Chris and his wife, Arnold, my wife and I. Some time before midnight we turned in for a good nights sleep.
Tomorrow we are driving down to the coast to hunt for bushbuck.

To Be Continued....

Day 10
The next morning, we were up well before sunrise packing for a day trip down to the coast.
Chris and I are going to hunt for bushbuck today. The property we were heading to was approximately two hours’ drive from the lodge and according to Victor it had good numbers of bushbuck. Chris, Arnold and Siya were in Arnolds Bakkie while Victor, Mitchell and myself were in Victors bakkie. We grabbed some breakfast on the trip down to the coast admiring the sunrise.

1652697030743.jpeg

On the drive down the countryside was starting to look very different to the mountainous landscape back near the lodge. The rocky steep hills of the Karoo had given way to grassy slow rolling hills of the coast. These were divided by thick rows of almost impenetrable thorn bush and coastal vine.

Bushbuck country looking out to the ocean – The dark green bush areas are where the Bushbuck live
1652697353600.jpeg

We parked the bakkie and started to walk on foot along the edges of the rows of bush. This coastal concession was renowned for having large numbers of bushbuck. I soon found out that they were not exaggerating. After a short stalk we climbed up to a vantage point on top of a hill. Victor spotted a nice ram off in the distance that had appeared almost out of nowhere. He had wandered out about 50 yards into the open from the thick bush. So we double timed it and started to put a stalk in on this ram. By the time we reached the area about 30 minutes later he had moved off back into the thick bush. We continued to glass the area with our bino’s but saw nothing. So we headed back up on top of another hill to glass for bushbuck again.

Walking between the thick rows of bush
1652697519690.jpeg

After a short while we decided to head to another hillside to look in a different direction. On the way there we bumped into duiker, bushbuck ewes and young bushbuck rams. There was a bushbuck around almost every row of thick bush.

1652697631507.jpeg

Bushbuck at 40 yards
1652697688173.jpeg

Another young bushbuck feeding on the edge of the bush
1652697768733.jpeg

We returned to the side of the hill area and glassed some more. On the way we found another young bush buck ram feeding just out from the edge of the thick bush. He stood for quite a while. I only had my phone on me so I could not get any quality images at the distance they were at.

1652697849570.jpeg

After a couple of hours of seeing a lot of bushbuck but no respectable rams we decided to make our way back to the bakkie and move over a hilltop or two to glass a different area.
Victor, Mitchel and myself started to walk back towards the bakkie. Mitchell was in the lead with Victor and me in a single file walking behind. We started to drop down into a shallow dry creek bed covered in green grass when all of a sudden as we walked out of the creek bed to the grassy bank, Mitchel just froze and motioned us to drop down. Victor slowly approached Mitchel and then they motioned me to come closer and get ready for a shot.
Cool, I thought they have found a nice bushbuck ram for me.

Mitchell was pointing towards some thick bush very close in front of us. I moved towards them and got within whisper distance from Victor who was looking through his bino’s. He turned and told me that there was a big fat Warthog in front of us laying in the grass asleep.
He was sleeping the morning away soaking up some of the morning sun.

I slowly rose up onto the sticks with the .270 and sure enough there he was. He was sleeping in the morning sun in the long grass about 20 yards in front of us. His head was facing us, pointing towards 7 o’clock. So my shot would have to angle down into the front of his left shoulder into his vital area behind.
He was ginger in colour and hairy. A stark comparison to the old grandpa hog I had shot a few days earlier that was almost hairless.
Victor said he was a good pig that would make for a good mount.

So I slowly turned the power ring on the Leupold scope down from 9 X to 3 X ready for the shot.
We waited for a while but the pig was snoozing his head off. Mitchell looked at me and motioned to get ready.
Mitchell cupped his hands around his mouth and let out a moderate but sharp yell “HEY”!.
The pig did not even flicker his ears. He was sound asleep.
Mitchell yelled again but louder. The pig woke and lifted his head a little off the grass.
Only to lower his head back down and go back to sleep.

By now Victor had retreated back into the dried up creek behind us and had found a tree branch about 600 mm long (2 feet long) and slightly larger in diameter than a broom handle.
Victor flicked it in the Warthog’s direction.
This whole time I am still on the sticks waiting for my shot to present.
I was also ready for a running shot, should things get crazy all of a sudden.

But the stick went swishing past the pig only made him lift his head again.
Then you guessed it, he lowered his head again back onto the grass preparing to go back to sleep.
This time his ears were up and alert.
Victor not to be outdone had returned deeper back into the dried creek bed behind us foraging for more things to throw at the pig in an attempt to get him to stand in the grass. He returned slowly to our location without any noise. In his hand was an almost round shaped river rock about 100 mm in diameter (4 inches). It was flat on the sides and somewhat looked like a thick disc.

He nodded at me to be ready again and he proceeded to roll the rock like a wheel at high speed right past the pig into the bush behind him with a crash.
This time that worked and the pig stood up and he proceeded to stretch his back and legs like an old dog rising on a porch from his slumber.
Bang went the .270 and down he went.
The 150 gr bullet smashing the pig into the ground for one last time.
Ha, gotcha! I thought.
That was cool. I would have thought he would have been much more alert than he was.

I called this pig “Snoozy”. A fitting name for a sleepy pig who refused to rise from his bed.
Victor made comment on how fat he was and how good the coastal location had been for him until today.

Moving the Warthog into position for a photo from where he fell in front of the bush
1652698471158.jpeg

Me and Snoozy the pig – My second Warthog for the trip
1652698543698.jpeg

Snoozy had a beautiful skin for a life-size mount – If you can use the word beautiful and a Warthog in the same sentence
1652698624989.jpeg

1652698702290.jpeg

You can see where the bullet entered his shoulder
1652698930705.jpeg

Mitchell then went to work on my pig preparing him for extraction from the field
1652699011992.jpeg

Because it was a long way to drag the pig back up hill to the bakkie. We gutted the pig where he was and dragged him into the shade of some trees. Then we walked back up to the top of the hill and drove the bakkie down to pick him up.
Once he was loaded into the bakkie we drove back up onto the ridge top and along the tops of the hills to a different area to continue looking for more bushbuck.

To Be Continued....

Last edited:
Congratulations on a Beautiful Warthog.

Day 10 – Continued - More Bushbuck

We drove back up to the top of the ridge ready for more glassing.
1652952621448.jpeg

We parked the bakkie in the shade of a large row of green bush and Mitchell stayed back at the bakkie cleaning up my Warthog. Victor and I walked over the edge of the hill to glass for bushbuck. We were working our binoculars in a different direction than we had been glassing before.

Open Country filled with rows of thick bush as far as the eye can see
1652952699632.jpeg

Victor and I moved a short distance downhill glassing the edges of the rows of thick bush. Then as we moved again around another row of bush we bumped into a mature ram just on the edge of the bush. The ram jumped and darted along the edge of the bush and stopped.
Victor was looking through his bino’s the whole time at the ram.
"Can you take the shot offhand" Victor asked me excitedly.
No time to get the sticks up, so I threw the rifle up and found my target.
The bushbuck had a quick burst of speed along the bush to a small opening in the side of the bush about to disappear.
It was almost like a doorway shaped hole into the thick bush. The ram stopped for some unknown reason peering back at us momentarily his head obscured by overhanging branches.
Only the front part of his body was visible. The rest of him was obscured by the thick bush.
I took the shot at approximately 65 yards, all be it a bit hurried and offhand as well.
My shot hit the ram angling forward from his mid-section forward up into his vitals and out the far side.
The ram exploded through the opening into the thick bush out of sight. We heard him crashing through the thick bush moving very fast to the left inside the thick bush.

This is the doorway like hole in the bush – Where my bushbuck made the mistake of pausing for a moment in time
1652952874218.jpeg

Victor was looking at the ram through his binos when I took the shot. He said that my shot was good, but then moved his finger to his lips motioning me to be quiet. I do have a tendency to talk a bit post shot with all the excitement. He cupped his hand behind his right ear in the direction of the bush indicating we needed to listen as well. We waited motionless for a short time and then everything was quiet.

He then said that the bushbucks can be very dangerous in the thick bush when wounded. So he would get Mitchell to help him look for my ram. Victor asked me to stay outside of the bush until they found the ram. I was ok with that.
Victor called up Mitchell on the two-way radio to come and help look for the ram. He came jogging down to our location in short time. I waited just outside the opening while Victor grabbed the .270 from me. He and Mitchel ventured inside ready to confront the Bushbuck.

Not more than 30 seconds had passed when Victor called out to me that they had found the ram. He was finished. I walked in through the opening and pushed and weaved my way into the thick bush.
Wow it was like another world in there. It was also a lot colder in there as well than outside in the sun.
The thick bush obviously sheltering what warmth the sun had to offer. I climbed through the maze of spider web like bush branches to where the guys were to find them with my bushbuck.

There was Victor and Mitchel with my Bushbuck laying in the undergrowth
1652953257769.jpeg

Wow, I have found another African animal I love to hunt. The little Eastern Cape bushbuck in the thick bush. There is something special about Bushbuck hunting that I do like. I think the different environment, abundance of animals and excitement of what might be around the next corner is an enjoyable part of this type of hunt.

Victor and Mitchel clearing some undergrowth for an on location photo
1652953394753.jpeg

Me and my bushbuck where he fell in the thick bush
1652953433139.jpeg

Victor said that my Bushbuck was an old timer. He had thick horns and his teeth were all worn down. Victor estimated his age at approx. 11 years old.
Now it was time to get out of the bush and up on top of the hill for some photos.

The boys carrying my Bushbuck out of the thicket
1652953508569.jpeg

Almost out of the thick bush
1652953562997.jpeg

The final carryout to the top of the hill
1652953604717.jpeg

Hilltop Views
1652953743323.jpeg

Me and my Bushbuck
1652953856487.jpeg

A lot of character with this old bushbuck – Very happy with the end result
1652953894763.jpeg

We loaded my ram into the bakkie and were standing around talking about the hunt when Victors phone buzzed with a text message.
Chris and Arnold had been successful in finding a ram for Chris. They had been hunting a different area a few kilometers over from our location on the same property.
So we jumped into the bakkie and headed over to where Chris had shot his ram.
When we arrived Chris was taking photos of his ram.
Chris had shot a beautiful Bushbuck ram with the CZ in 7 X 64.

He shot his ram where the photo was taken. Chris's Bushbuck was feeding just on the edge of the thick bush
1652954003869.jpeg

After all of the photos were finished we loaded Chris’s ram into Arnolds bakkie and headed to the farmer skinning shed.

It was a short trip to the farmers skinning shed
1652954104562.jpeg

As we had been hunting all morning we were getting a bit hungry so the decision was made to have some lunch and finish skinning the animals we had taken. I didn’t need any convincing as I was keen for some coffee and a bite to eat.

We arrived at the skinning shed and had lunch on the back of the bakkie
1652954160843.jpeg

After lunch Mitchell and Siya got to work on skinning both Bushbuck’s and my Warthog.

Mitchell started on removing the cape from Snoozy the Warthog
1652954191449.jpeg

Siya skinning one of the bushbucks – I had a lot of blood at the bottom of this image so I changed the image to B&W
1652954278330.jpeg

To Be Continued....

It is really exciting reading your reports. Can never wait for the next chapter.
I am happy you had such a nice hunt.
Thank you for keeping us posted.

Excellent story so far, glad I waited so I could read ALOT in a sitting. Really enjoy all of the photos you took as well. I look forward to reading the rest!

Reactions: MTA

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HongPilgri

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg