Sneaky Silent Shoes

Moccasin-type smooth soles are bloody dangerous on side hills covered with dryed grass. Soooo slippery. Can be VERY quiet stalking as long as no hills and dry grass.
 
Been really dry here with the drought went out last night after Fallow bucks. The beech forest is like corn flakes under foot. The new LEMs did the trick. Been walking in them so far only. Like the gecko style sole very non slip.
Anyway here’s is last nights effort.
View attachment 793886
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3759.jpeg
    IMG_3759.jpeg
    8.7 MB · Views: 35
I just spent 8 days wearing Clarks Desert boots, soft neoprene sole and my PH commented on how quite they are
 
The treadless boots are more for counter tracking than quiet walking.

Quietly walking just is moreabout knowing how to walk and practicing. Than any particular shoe. But softer soles do help you feel whats underfoot
 
I wore Danner Crag Rats on my trip. No issues at all. This trip coming up I bought some On Cloud 5 waterproof thinking they would be good. After reading the comments, I didn’t think about the thorns. I guess since none went thru my danners. I’m packing my Crag Rats. No sense in fixing something that isn’t broke.
I wear Danner San Angelo snake boots in the South Texas brush country, where every thing seems to have thorns. Also wore them in Tanzania while on a photo safari and seemed quiet enough to sneak around pretty well. The sole is soft, but thick enough to protect the foot on sharp rocks. The soles are fairly soft and cushy, so do pick up and hold some thorns, but in years of wearing them, never had a thorn go through and penetrate inside of the boot. There is a fairly thick hard leather (or plastic?) layer the sole attaches to, which must stop them. I use the pliers on a Swiss Army knife or a multitool to remove thorns now and then. I just picked up the boot to take some photos and lo and behold, there is a typical mesquite thorn in it as usual.

I enjoy the higher upper on this boot, which comes up to just below the knee. The tall upper protects the lower leg from thorns and grass burrs, and keeps sand and water out in addition to snake protection. So there is no need for gaiters. They are a very comfortable boot once broken in and quieter and more comfortable than hard rubber Vibram sole boots.

fwiw - when new, a heavy coat of Obenauf’s Heavy Duty Leather Treatment or Oakwood leather treatment heated up and soaked into the leather softens them up a bit speeding up break in and making them more comfortable, as well as providing water repelling.

As a plus, this model is assembled and finished in the US with some imported components according to Danner. So helping maintain some craftsmans’ jobs here too.

Bottom line - I definitely can recommend these. Very happy with them.

IMG_2383.jpeg


IMG_2384.jpeg



IMG_2386.jpeg
 
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
70,325
Messages
1,573,065
Members
169,694
Latest member
ShastaBooz
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top