Reaction score
Website
us.leica-camera.com
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
P1142087.png
P1142141.png

Since April 2022, the smallest binoculars with rangefinder have been available from the expert engineers in Wetzlar. This glass accompanied me for a good six months through Africa and the autumnal forests of Europe.
Now, I’d like to share my experiences…

For over ten years, the Leica Geovid 8×42 accompanied me all over the world. It survived extreme heat and cold, altitude and depth without technical damage, and has always worked beautifully. At the beginning of the year, “leaks” in professional forums, and then press releases, introduced me to a new model from Wetzlar – with improvements in lens production and digital technology, and a smaller lens diameter. Even at first glance, when handling my test model for the first time, it stood out: The Leica Geovid Pro 32 has the same design as its big brother, the same finely grained, rubberized, nitrogen-filled magnesium housing. The familiar open bridge allows a secure hold, but this model is about three centimeters shorter and about 150 grams lighter. A contoured neoprene strap is included, too.

The first question is whether to choose an 8x or 10x magnification. I had the opportunity to use both models on several hunts. My verdict: The advantages of the 10x glass can rarely be exploited, due to lack of physical support, trembling during physical exertion, etc., which is why I prefer the 8x.

The first thing you notice when comparing the “old” and the “new” models is that Leica has indeed improved the contrast and brilliance once again. If you sit in a calm hide and look at a target in front of you, first through the “old” and then the “new” glass, you can notice it. Not much, but it can be seen. When I asked at the factory, the reason given was the new Perger-Porro lenses.

image-1.png
image-3.png
image-2.png
P1153851.png

The smaller pack size and lower weight is quickly noticeable, both in the backpack and around the neck. With each passing year, I take less and less gear with me when stalking – but have no less hunting success.

The Leica Geovid Pro 32 again has two main buttons on top, which are used for rangefinding, for the additional functions, and for navigating through the menu. After a few times, you’ll be using them intuitively, as with the previous models. What’s new is the ballistics calculator in the binoculars – and the respective app in the smartphone, which is installed in just a few steps. The connection is established via Bluetooth. The data is configured in the app and then transferred to the binoculars.

The “Applied Ballistics Ultralight” software supplied ex-works offers data on approx. 750 factory ammunition cartridges, in addition to the extensive Leica database. The bullet diameter and weight, ballistic coefficient, muzzle velocity, impact distance, and sighting height are taken into account. Thus, with one measurement in the Geovid, trajectories and the respective riflescope holdovers can be calculated, for distances up to 800 meters.

Upgrades to advanced software versions are also possible. Here, spin drift, Coriolis effect, spin length, spin direction, etc. are included for even more precise results. This is best done in combination with data from a Kestrel weather meter for wind, humidity, pressure, and altitude. Hold corrections can then be obtained for distances of up to 2,300 meters.

P1153617.png
P1141826.png

I highly recommend the Leica Geovid Pro 8×32, and have already ordered it for me. It will become my new universal glass, replacing and my 10-year-old Leica Geovid 8×42, which I am currently offering on an Internet sales platform. At Christmas, the new model will be under the tree. After all, the best gifts are the ones you give yourself…

Dr. Frank B. Metzner

Congratulations....

This binoculars are my dream, They are the only ones I am missing in my collection.

PXL_20221228_090404514.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ViolaFairb

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you