Should I build a 318 Westley Richards?

318WR. Up date i purchased the Parker Hale its got "Safari special"on the side of the receiver have ordered the trigger, safety,& a new extractor & firing pin spring, may not need them but you never know, got a Talley weld on bolt handle from Brownells have to build a jig to weld it in place, the fun begins . as i get older i find i need a new project to keep me going, much to my wife's dismay, better than mowing the lawn or weeding the garden . Lucky i have most of the equipment to do jobs like this from my car restoration days.
I was going to say a 338-06 will make your life easier in every way. Had I done so, I would have missed the entire point of you doing this. You’ve made the perfect choice.

You'd be about half way between us Bob - we could pop in and help ypou get with the 318 WR programme if we're ever allowed ;-)
@Tintin
You both would be mote than welcome at my place. I could light the fire and provide the Bundy, xxx Gold and VB. If you bring some nice venison backstrap I would do a feed of backstrap with a creamy peppercorn sauce or masarla sauce and all the trimmings.
As much as I like the 318wri will stick with my Whelen
Bob

@Tintin
You both would be mote than welcome at my place. I could light the fire and provide the Bundy, xxx Gold and VB. If you bring some nice venison backstrap I would do a feed of backstrap with a creamy peppercorn sauce or masarla sauce and all the trimmings.
As much as I like the 318wri will stick with my Whelen
Bob
We should try to make this happen.

I was going to say a 338-06 will make your life easier in every way. Had I done so, I would have missed the entire point of you doing this. You’ve made the perfect choice.
Thank you. I thought about the 338/06 it probably makes better sense, but is does not have the old world charm of having 318 Nitro Express or, 318 Westley Richards on the barrel as the caliber
designation . And at my age i am starting to do some silly things, so my wife keeps telling me. i enjoy the challenge of finding the parts to make it happen. this forum made me do it!!! at the local range a fellow has 4 new Rigby rifles a 375 H&H a 30/06 a 9.3x62 & 275 Rigby that is what really made my mind up.

The stock has some great lines through the pistol grip and comb, reminiscent of a WR. A couple of things to consider, depending on the look you are going for, and how much of a project you want..
- Many of the Westley Richards, especially the higher end guns, had buffalo horn bolt handle caps - kind of a neat look specific to WR
- If you choose to refinish the stock, some “red oil” with alkanet root, will give it that old nitro express look
- You could cut the stock fore end back, just cutting out the sling swivel, and put the ebony fore end tip there - that would be closer to a period stock fore end length. You could move the front swivel attachment to a barrel ring mounted attachment point, about 2” ahead of the fore end.

Thanks @Bob Nelson 35Whelen - would be fun to do that sometime.

@rdog - I may be in Bris in December - will let you know.

Thanks @318AE - great suggestions. The other thing I need to do is some caps / plugs to cover the botched cross bolts - the ones visible in the photo are OK - the other side not OK.

The stock came for free with the action - so was good value ;-)

It's also not a great fit to the bottom metal.

Thanks @318AE - great suggestions. The other thing I need to do is some caps / plugs to cover the botched cross bolts - the ones visible in the photo are OK - the other side not OK.

@Tintin
If'n you are going to Brisvegas in December you are more than welcome to drop in on the way.
I'm an hour north of Sydney and 10 minutes off the highway.
Bob

@Bob Nelson 35Whelen Hey Bob - thanks - that would be great - but I reckon I'll have a hard time talking the Qantas pilot into a drop in ;-)

I could make you some Ebony plugs to cover the cross bolts ,i would need to know the dia they look like Talley cross bolts & should be 7/16 inch l would like to catch up with you if you do get to Brisbane.

I could make you some Ebony plugs to cover the cross bolts ,i would need to know the dia they look like Talley cross bolts & should be 7/16 inch l would like to catch up with you if you do get to Brisbane.
thanks rdog - that would be awesome - yes they are Talleys - but I'd think it will need the holes opened up larger than the bolt heads and plugs made to fit the larger hole - if that makes sense?

I'll send you a pic of the 'bad' side.

I also like 318AE's suggestion of shortening stock a bit.

I could bring the stock up if I make it to Bris and would love to catch up

Mark

@Bob Nelson 35Whelen Hey Bob - thanks - that would be great - but I reckon I'll have a hard time talking the Qantas pilot into a drop in ;-)
@Tintin
Mate as you are going over just open the door put parachute on and hop out. No need to get the pilot to land.

thanks rdog - that would be awesome - yes they are Talleys - but I'd think it will need the holes opened up larger than the bolt heads and plugs made to fit the larger hole - if that makes sense?

I'll send you a pic of the 'bad' side.

I also like 318AE's suggestion of shortening stock a bit.

I could bring the stock up if I make it to Bris and would love to catch up

Mark
Yes we could do that as well as the fore end tip i live on the sunshine coast.

thanks a lot rdog - that would great - and an excuse to visit Sunshine Coast ;-)

The .318WR has class. The rest are well ..... the rest. Parker Safari was one of the refurb/commercial Mauser '98's by Parker Hale (UK). Sounds like that example has had rough life. My son has a Parker De Luxe in .243W on its third barrel but is developing action wear as its first owner was a cocky and shot it a lot. I hate to rain on your parade but be careful of dodgey bolt handle jobs as bad welding can change the bolt metalurgy. There are lots of 2nd hand commercial Mauser rifles out there. You just have to look hard. Lothar Walther barrels are the ducks nuts.

The .318WR has class. The rest are well ..... the rest. Parker Safari was one of the refurb/commercial Mauser '98's by Parker Hale (UK). Sounds like that example has had rough life. My son has a Parker De Luxe in .243W on its third barrel but is developing action wear as its first owner was a cocky and shot it a lot. I hate to rain on your parade but be careful of dodgey bolt handle jobs as bad welding can change the bolt metalurgy. There are lots of 2nd hand commercial Mauser rifles out there. You just have to look hard. Lothar Walther barrels are the ducks nuts.
Thank you I understand that, this one does not look like it has been used a lot, just stored with a lot of rifles in a pile, the cocking cam looks good but the bolt handle is too short & someone has tried to extend it down near the knob . I have 2 Lother Walther barrels & i think they are very good, there is a Gunsmithing business in Brisbane, that did some work for me years ago, that now make barrels, they have done some in 318 WRs & its a lot less money than an imported barrel & that is fitted, you can get the profile & twist rate you want. i am going to meet with them tomorrow & decide on them or Lother Walther i know you only get" what you pay for "

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sports0266

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg