Should I build a 318 Westley Richards?

As Nike say 'Just Do It'.

I'd long had a hankering for a 318 WR - the cartridge had an allure for me.

I had one built over the last couple of years, sort of on the cheap - it's still a bit of a work in progress in that the stock is pretty rough and I'll hopefully get that replaced one day.

It started with a Parker Hale 'Safari', built on an ex military 98 action, thumb cut out etc, that looks to have had the stock replaced at some stage.

Had it rebarreled, sights added and it shoots pretty well.

I'm fortunate in that Bruce Bertram is only about an hour from my home, so brass is not an issue. Bruce also has projectiles, in addition to Woodleigh.
Tintin What did you do about a barrel?

318WR. Up date i purchased the Parker Hale its got "Safari special"on the side of the receiver have ordered the trigger, safety,& a new extractor & firing pin spring, may not need them but you never know, got a Talley weld on bolt handle from Brownells have to build a jig to weld it in place, the fun begins . as i get older i find i need a new project to keep me going, much to my wife's dismay, better than mowing the lawn or weeding the garden . Lucky i have most of the equipment to do jobs like this from my car restoration days.

Last edited:
Sorry for joining late. Hell yes you should,

Well done - congrats!

I had Bill (or Grant actually) Swan do my barrel - they have 318 WR reamer.

They also fitted the open sights / reblued.

(I've also had Tony @ TSE do stuff in the past and he's been good to deal with).

While my project my was underway, I found an old box of Kynoch 318 WR when I was I popped into Rebel.

I see they one left in stock - you also need to buy that ;-)

https://www.rebelgunworks.com.au/pr...ss-10pk-ckyn31810?_pos=1&_sid=119c13ee6&_ss=r

In terms of a trigger - the Recknagel is about the same price as the Timney - and they are awesome - I think Graeme Spraggon has stock (IIRC about AUD $160)

Exciting times ;-)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-10-23 at 6.06.51 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-23 at 6.06.51 PM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 50
  • Screen Shot 2021-10-23 at 6.06.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-23 at 6.06.52 PM.png
    450.7 KB · Views: 55
Well done - congrats!

I had Bill (or Grant actually) Swan do my barrel - they have 318 WR reamer.

They also fitted the open sights / reblued.

(I've also had Tony @ TSE do stuff in the past and he's been good to deal with).

While my project my was underway, I found an old box of Kynoch 318 WR when I was I popped into Rebel.

I see they one left in stock - you also need to buy that ;-)

https://www.rebelgunworks.com.au/pr...ss-10pk-ckyn31810?_pos=1&_sid=119c13ee6&_ss=r

In terms of a trigger - the Recknagel is about the same price as the Timney - and they are awesome - I think Graeme Spraggon has stock (IIRC about AUD $160)

Exciting times ;-)
Thank you for that info i have purchased the ammo, i imagine its burdan primed ? What twist rate is your barrel ? i am thinking 1/8 as that whats Lother Walther use i believe, i planed on buying 20 bertram cases & form the rest out of 30/06. Northern Shooters Supplies have brass & dies in stock . if you live in brisbane i would like to meet with you if you would allow. the trigger is in the mail as i am friends with the importer . i plan on using Recknagel sights & have dealt with Graeme before, good to know some one in Australia has done this.

Last edited:
No worries - I only just realised your in Bris from your mention of TSE.

Not sure if Berdan primed - but I suspect could be - I don't intend to fire mine.

https://www.africahunting.com/threads/how-old-are-these-kynoch-cartridges.56051/

I'm not actually 100% on the twist rate, I recall discussing it with Grant on the phone - but can't see that I've written down anywhere :E Shrug:.

I got my dies from Roger @ NSS - they are the CH4D dies. CH4D will also sell direct to us here - but not worth the hassle with the current USPS situation. I'm pretty sure the brass that NSS stock is Bertram.

My donor PH actually had a Timney trigger on it when I bought it - and it is very good. I was pleasantly surprised with the pricing when I put a Recknagel on my 275 build - always good have a bit of Euro bling ;-)

The sights came up pretty well - I went with 1 standing / 3 folding and their "H&H style" front (Part 12100-0000).

I've only regulated the standing leaf.

I intend to get QR Talley rings at some stage - I do like the Talley bases on '98s.

I don't actually live in Bris, I'm in Vic, but am usually in Bris a few times a year (when I'm allowed over the border) :A Naughty:

Happy to have a chat anytime - I'll PM you my number.

Mark

Not sure if Berdan primed - but I suspect could be - I don't intend to fire mine.

https://www.africahunting.com/threads/how-old-are-these-kynoch-cartridges.56051/

I'm not actually 100% on the twist rate, I recall discussing it with Grant on the phone - but can't see that I've written down anywhere :E Shrug:.

I got my dies from Roger @ NSS - they are the CH4D dies. CH4D will also sell direct to us here - but not worth the hassle with the current USPS situation. I'm pretty sure the brass that NSS stock is Bertram.

My donor PH actually had a Timney trigger on it when I bought it - and it is very good. I was pleasantly surprised with the pricing when I put a Recknagel on my 275 build - always good have a bit of Euro bling ;-)

The sights came up pretty well - I went with 1 standing / 3 folding and their "H&H style" front (Part 12100-0000).

I intend to get QR Talley rings at some stage - I do like the Talley bases on '98s.

I don't actually live in Bris, I'm in Vic, but am usually in Bris a few times a year (when I'm allowed over the border) :A Naughty:

Mark
Thank you i will probably have lots of more questions as this project progresses, i intend to do as much of it my self as i can, stock, rust bluing, bolt handle i will go with Talley QR bases & rings the iron sights will be just for show as at 75 i can not use them well

In the finest tradition of AH enabling
2268F859-7095-42E7-AD8C-3DDC4146FF10.jpeg
]

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you i will probably have lots of more questions as this project progresses, i intend to do as much of it my self as i can, stock, rust bluing, bolt handle i will go with Talley QR bases & rings the iron sights will be just for show as at 75 i can not use them well
Great you can do all that yourself - I'm the same with the iron sights - prob won't use them much - but a rifle like you're creating definitely needs them ;-)

Beautiful rifle just looks the part with old ammo, hope mine turns out as well how does it shoot?
i am waiting for new stock of the Woodleigh loading manual.

Thanks - stock is pretty rough - adds an air of 'olde worlde' ;-)

Shoots pretty well - I played around with a few loads - most accurate was just over 1" groups at 100m with:

53.5gn of 2209
250gn Bertram RN pills seated to cannelure

For 250RN's the Woodleigh book lists:

54-55gn of 2209
56-59gn of 2213SC

I never tried any 2213 - I didn't have any on hand and I was happy the accuracy from 2209.

The only thing I'd probably think about is barrel profile - I reckon mine is a bit on the heavy side - I struggled to find much detail on the original WR profiles.

But it is certainly very pleasant to shoot with a bit more heft in it - weighs 4.35kg with 2.5-8x VX3.

Thanks - stock is pretty rough - adds an air of 'olde worlde' ;-)

Shoots pretty well - I played around with a few loads - most accurate was just over 1" groups at 100m with:

53.5gn of 2209
250gn Bertram RN pills seated to cannelure

For 250RN's the Woodleigh book lists:

54-55gn of 2209
56-59gn of 2213SC

I never tried any 2213 - I didn't have any on hand and I was happy the accuracy from 2209.

The only thing I'd probably think about is barrel profile - I reckon mine is a bit on the heavy side - I struggled to find much detail on the original WR profiles.

But it is certainly very pleasant to shoot with a bit more heft in it - weighs 4.35kg with 2.5-8x VX3.
Thanks for that, i intend to talk to the Swans about the profile i would prefer a little heavy than too light & may be 24 inch long, i have a very light 6.5x55 to carry around & have had both of shoulders repaired. So i need to watch the recoil factor, 250 grain bullets are not light.! The stock looks good to me. Shame lighter bullets are not available.

You could always do some Trail Boss loads up (if you can get any Trail Boss) - that would be a lot of fun.

Mark
@Tintin
A banana bender and a Mexican both mad about the 318WR , it will be an interesting yarn up. Long and interesting, pitty it's not over a few beers.
Bob

@Tintin
A banana bender and a Mexican both mad about the 318WR , it will be an interesting yarn up. Long and interesting, pitty it's not over a few beers.
Bob

You'd be about half way between us Bob - we could pop in and help ypou get with the 318 WR programme if we're ever allowed ;-)

I have a near full container of Trail boss, was going to play with some in my 7.62x39 & 303, with sub sonic loads but have not done so yet .

I run it through the SMLE - it's great fun

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg