Should I build a 318 Westley Richards?

rdog

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SSAA
Been thinking about a 318 WR it would have to be on a M98 action, but may be its too much trouble, brass, dies, barrel , finding some one with a chamber reamer& projectiles are hard to obtain may be you will never get
your money back if you sell it. A 338/06 would be easier but it does not have the nostalgia of the 318 what do you think ?

I say build whatever you want? But, like you surmised, the challenge may be finding everything to make a .318 WR come together?

Been thinking about a 318 WR it would have to be on a M98 action, but may be its too much trouble, brass, dies, barrel , finding some one with a chamber reamer& projectiles are hard to obtain may be you will never get
your money back if you sell it.
Or a 8x60S, same performance, or even a 8x64S.

For both, factory ammo, cases, dies are available.

But I have to admit, .318 Westley Richards sounds much better.

:cool:

HWL

Way I look at it, you will seldom get your money back on any user rifle. Collectors rifles may appreciate in value but custom builds will seldom get their value back. So build what you want not what seems sensible.

In fact sensible choice would be a cheapass 338 -probably a win mag. Plastic stock and stainless barrel. That would be practical, cheap and probably lose you the least money. It would be soulless but sensible.

It’s going to be a fun project. The .318 Westley Richards is ballistically comparable ( in my experience ) to the .338 Winchester Magnum. Of course, availability of factory loaded ammunition and reloading components will be significantly more challenging than the .338 Winchester Magnum. Hendershots manufactures factory loaded ammunition. As does Kynamco. Not many options in the way of bullets, barring Woodleigh.

I have a .318 NE--a Mauser made by Cogswell & Harrison around 1930, pic below. It's a fantastic rifle and a real killer, especially if you stick with the 250-gr bullet. Brass can be easily made with .30-06--the only downside being the headstamp if you ever travel to countries like South Africa.

Dies you can easily buy, and if you have trouble finding .330" bullets, go with Hawk Bullets--you can even choose your jacket thickness.

I understand the allure of a classic British cartridge. And the .318 is one that was universally hailed as one of the absolute best.

Cogswell-and-Harrison-318_101064101_32_3A6D7F8CD639807B (2).jpg

Build the rifle YOU WANT. Do not try to rationalize such a decision. I long ago had the last rifle I would ever NEED.

I am biased as I am in the process of having a 318 W.R. Express rifle built. The action is a 1909 Argentine Mauser. New bolt handle and 3 position safety. Blueprinted. Barrel is Krieger. Open sights by NECG. I am having the action, bases and rings color cased. Stock is exhibition English walnut.

The dies are British 4 piece purchased on an internet auction site. The reamers are available to gunsmiths as rentals. I found Barnes original .330 250 grain bullets recently on the internet (circa 1980 judging from the newspaper packing). and brass is coming from RCC.

I anticipate the project to be completed in time to go to Africa in late May 2022. This is the second full blown custom rifle I have had built in my life. The last was done in 1992! I must say that on this project the scavenger hunt aspect to find all the component has been a lot of fun.

In the meantime I dream of taking a classic African cartridge in a classic rifle on Safari. I see a Golden Wildebeast, a Red Hartebeast, a Warthog, and a giant Kudu(I did say dream) in it's future.

Ek doink in Engels maar Ek droom in Afrikaans

your money back if you sell it. A 338/06 would be easier but it does not have the nostalgia of the 318 what do you think ?
Hi Rdog

I been through the same process and for me it was worth the trouble and the wait.
Bertram Brass and Woodleigh bullets is not to much trouble to source. You can also use 30-06 brass if needed.
I have used a ZG47 action and a Lothar Walter Barrel .
I placed a special order for the reamer and gauges. I'm done with them and don't have much use for them anymore. You are welcome to contact me if you are interested in them.

Regards,

"Should I buy a gun?"

Sorry, is that really even a question? ;)

I have a .318 NE--a Mauser made by Cogswell & Harrison around 1930, pic below. It's a fantastic rifle and a real killer, especially if you stick with the 250-gr bullet. Brass can be easily made with .30-06--the only downside being the headstamp if you ever travel to countries like South Africa.

Dies you can easily buy, and if you have trouble finding .330" bullets, go with Hawk Bullets--you can even choose your jacket thickness.

I understand the allure of a classic British cartridge. And the .318 is one that was universally hailed as one of the absolute best.

View attachment 430160
Great looking rifle

Build the rifle YOU WANT. Do not try to rationalize such a decision. I long ago had the last rifle I would ever NEED.

I am biased as I am in the process of having a 318 W.R. Express rifle built. The action is a 1909 Argentine Mauser. New bolt handle and 3 position safety. Blueprinted. Barrel is Krieger. Open sights by NECG. I am having the action, bases and rings color cased. Stock is exhibition English walnut.

The dies are British 4 piece purchased on an internet auction site. The reamers are available to gunsmiths as rentals. I found Barnes original .330 250 grain bullets recently on the internet (circa 1980 judging from the newspaper packing). and brass is coming from RCC.

I anticipate the project to be completed in time to go to Africa in late May 2022. This is the second full blown custom rifle I have had built in my life. The last was done in 1992! I must say that on this project the scavenger hunt aspect to find all the component has been a lot of fun.

In the meantime I dream of taking a classic African cartridge in a classic rifle on Safari. I see a Golden Wildebeast, a Red Hartebeast, a Warthog, and a giant Kudu(I did say dream) in it's future.

Ek doink in Engels maar Ek droom in Afrikaans
i would like to see some pictures

Hi Rdog

I been through the same process and for me it was worth the trouble and the wait.
Bertram Brass and Woodleigh bullets is not to much trouble to source. You can also use 30-06 brass if needed.
I have used a ZG47 action and a Lothar Walter Barrel .
I placed a special order for the reamer and gauges. I'm done with them and don't have much use for them anymore. You are welcome to contact me if you are interested in them.

Regards,
Where are you located?

have your gunsmith build an exact copy of a Westley or close as possible .many classic guns can't be had for easy money or the condition/barrel is not up to par thats why I say copy a classic im thinking of making a 350 rigby magnum or a copy of my 275 rigby , the only problem with the Westley is trying to copy their patent front site other than that its a no brainer....Paul

The other appealing action option is a long BSA Mauser style in 30/06 or 270 win.?

That would be cool on the English BSA & fine rifles, I think the firing pins can be a problem some times ?

I have had a few 338/06 & fine caliber it is better if some smaller animals at longer ranges are on the agenda, I also have a few 9.3X62 and again a fine caliber !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bkNen

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross