shotgun for SA?

Berettadouble

New member
Joined
Feb 12, 2026
Messages
11
Reaction score
15
Would my Beretta 390 29" or 1100 Special Field 21" be considered sporting enough even though semiautomatic? Would love to hunt birds while there...
 
I would recommend bringing an over/under (or side by side) or renting a shotgun from your outfitter. Importing a semi-auto cam be problematic depending on where you are going.
 
Last edited:
I agree with @BeeMaa

Most African countries cause some difficulties with importing repeating shotguns.
 
In RSA no semi-auto weapons are allowed in country; rifle or shotgun. Before I bought an O/U shotgun, I had to use one of the PH's semi-autos for pigeons.
 
@tinktink12 brought her Syren o/u 20ga, and I rented a Beretta 686 12ga. The big cost was ammo in South Africa. Most shotgun ammo in 20ga is 2x the price of the same thing here in the U.S.
 
@tinktink12 brought her Syren o/u 20ga, and I rented a Beretta 686 12ga. The big cost was ammo in South Africa. Most shotgun ammo in 20ga is 2x the price of the same thing here in the U.S.

Not only was shotguns ammo 2x the cost in SA as it is in the U.S. but 20 gauge was substantially more than 12 gauge.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,243
Messages
1,569,597
Members
168,740
Latest member
контрактнаСВОизрегионов
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
hunted So Africa 4 times and more to come
 
Top