SERBIA: Jackal

IMG_3058.jpeg
IMG_3059.jpeg
IMG_3060.jpeg
IMG_3061.jpeg
IMG_3062.jpeg
IMG_3063.jpeg
 
Dont tell me!
243?
 
I surrender!
243......

You must grow up one day! I will not loose my hope!
 
In Bulgaria we have the same problem with golden jackals. No natural enemy exept the wolf (which is releatively smaller population and is in the mountains). For the last six years i have more than 500 jackals killed, and the result for the other animals like rabbits, pheasans and other birds it is pretty nice.
 
Last edited:
The golden jackal is currently conquering the western part of Europe. More and more specimens are reported in France but unlike wolves, they are more secretive so far and do not harm livestock like wolves are doing, at least at the same level. A good buddy of mine saw one last year in the north east of the country, near Chalons-en-Champagne.

Another one was caught in a trap not far from where I live.

At this stage, they are not protected by law, but also not huntable, so we have to leave them.
 
We marked a male in Serbia on February 4, 2026. We called him Vasa.
28.03. suddenly started in a straight line and crossed 6 European countries (Serbia, Croatia, Slovenia, Hungary, Austria, Czech Republic and Germany).
It passed 1400km. He swam across three large rivers (Sava, Drava, Danube) and crossed the eastern edges of the Alps. He crossed all this almost in a straight line without long delays. This is the longest recorded migration of golden jackal in the world.
It is currently located 1040 km from home (Serbia), I cannot find out where.
The distances traveled are now very close to the largest recorded dispersals of the wolf in Europe, and possibly of any land mammal, excluding flying bats
 
The golden jackal is currently conquering the western part of Europe. More and more specimens are reported in France but unlike wolves, they are more secretive so far and do not harm livestock like wolves are doing, at least at the same level. A good buddy of mine saw one last year in the north east of the country, near Chalons-en-Champagne.

Another one was caught in a trap not far from where I live.

At this stage, they are not protected by law, but also not huntable, so we have to leave them.
The jackal is a very dangerous predator, and where it settles, the noble wild animal has great losses. Losses are especially pronounced in cubs
 
Very interesting infos and thank you for the sharing.
I'm sure in one decade, this animal will be more common in the country and I hope it will be a game species.

At this stage, I haven't heard an offical problem with jackals even if it is known some were shot by farmers while they were roaming around sheep, but it was before its offical arrival in the country.
It is still probably the case but nowadays with predators, it's better to apply the African 3S rule in case of depredations : Shoot, Shovel and Shut up.

We have a lot of problem with wolves and sometimes dogs, so a jackal attack on domestic animals will probably be misidentifed for the moment ?

Most of jackals are still loner nowadays but if they behave like black-backed jackal (I shot a lot in Africa) in the future, when their population will be healthy, I think we can expect big problems like you say. If they start to attack cats, small dogs and chickens, we can hope a special status and to hunt and trap them.
 
This is something I must do. I enjoy hunting foxes. A Croatian friend has invited me to come out sometime.
 
Nice, culling these predators is very importante for the small Game.management. Two years ago we had the first golden jackal in Spain, for now we didnt see more, but I suposse that maybe in a decade It Will be a problem, cross fingers
 
Whenever we catch a jackal, I post a picture here. It is very important to hunt the jackal, because it destroys other game. It is especially dangerous for young. Roe deer can be destroyed by wild animals only in a few years. The young cannot survive at all when the jackal is present. Without problems, it also destroys young Red deer. It is incredibly adaptable and hard to get sick. So it's better if you don't have it in your territory
Nice, culling these predators is very importante for the small Game.management. Two years ago we had the first golden jackal in Spain, for now we didnt see more, but I suposse that maybe in a decade It Will be a problem, cross fingers
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,269
Messages
1,570,130
Members
168,848
Latest member
RondaToups
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
hunted So Africa 4 times and more to come
 
Top