Sears Model 52 (Win M70) 6.5x55

robtattoo

AH veteran
Joined
Aug 7, 2022
Messages
123
Reaction score
462
Location
Tullahoma, TN
Media
11
Articles
1
Hunted
Namibia
This one hurts to post, but if I'm honest with myself, I've sat & stared at it for 2 years now. It's just too damn pretty for me to hunt with & I know I'm going to spend more time worrying about it getting scratched than I actually would hunting.

I built this up from parts. The action is a Sears model 52, which is the Sears specific brand Winchester Model 70. I had the entire action blueprinted & rebarreled to 6.5x55 Swede by E.R. Shaw. The barrel is 21", 5R rifled with a 1:8 twist. The profile was turned to match the factory M70 barrel which is basically a medium/light Sporter. The barreled action was then mirror polished & sent to a specialist refinisher in Wyoming for bluing. Along with that, the hinged bottom metal, bolt shroud, trigger, grip cap, scope mounts, sling swivels & all screws & fasteners were sent for color case hardening.

While all the metal was away for finishing, I found an unfinished, Exhibition grade walnut stock & set about hand fitting & finishing. I hand sanded everything to 800 grit & applied 24 coats of Alkanet oil, wet sanding the first 12. Once the color I wanted was achieved I applied 32 very fine coats of polymerized Tung oil (over a period of about 4 months) The stock was then sent to Ahlmans for hand cut checkering in a 22tpi Winchester point pattern. Once finished, the checkering was then very lightly oiled.

Once it was all back here & together, I added a Leupold FX-3 6x42 scope.

I've taken it to range 1 time to zero & work out a load & that's literally it. I don't think I've fired 40 shots since I finished it.

The whole project was a labor of love, because I wanted an Heirloom Quality gun, only to find out that I'm far better served with working guns. I don't know how many hours went into the build, but I'm pretty sure I clocked over 100 just in the stock.

Since then, it's literally sat in the cabinet slathered in anti-rust. I've occasionally taken it out to look at & fondle.

It's a crying shame to just have it sitting & it needs to go to someone who'll actually use & appreciate it for what it is, rather than just being a decoration.

I'm not gonna lie, I'm pricing this at slightly less than I have in it, but not much & the price is NOT negotiable. I paid nearly half the cost just for the stock alone.

$2000 will buy it & if it doesn't sell for that, it can stay in the cabinet. I'm only selling her now to fund a used Harley purchase (unless someone wants to part trade me for a ratty big twin.....)

Link to photo album.......

 
That is a spectacular rifle, and someone is going to get a true heirloom. I was just at a gun store earlier this morning looking at a few new Model 70 Super Grades with AAA French walnut, and they did not have near the finer points that yours does at the same price point (and theirs came with sales tax instead of a nice scope). ;-) GLWS!
 
That is a spectacular rifle, and someone is going to get a true heirloom. I was just at a gun store earlier this morning looking at a few new Model 70 Super Grades with AAA French walnut, and they did not have near the finer points that yours does at the same price point (and theirs came with sales tax instead of a nice scope). ;-) GLWS!

That’s a fine rifle in an incredibly efficient caliber.

Thank you!
 
Bump please, someone neeeds to give her a loving, forever home!
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,300
Messages
1,572,106
Members
169,493
Latest member
CortneyRen
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top