Scope Troubles

Thunder head

AH enthusiast
Joined
Apr 2, 2009
Messages
360
Reaction score
42
Deals & offers
1
Media
18
Articles
1
Hunting reports
Africa
2
USA/Canada
3
Member of
NWTF, NRA
This is more of an FYI thread, since i have already fiqured out the problem.

I tried mounting a scope on my newly aquired Winchester .375 H&H. It came with Lepould dual dovetails already on it. When mounted the scope looked visably of center. I tried to boresight it and couldnt get it to boresight. (ran out of windage adjustment)

I did several things to eliminate the scope, including brakeing down another guns setup. I then tried to see if it was the weapon itself. Lastly i started measuring on the bases. Though i found a .009" side to side error on the front bases i dint think this was enough to cause what i was seeing. I was sitting there remeasuring the front base when something caught my eye. The radius on the bottom of the bases is machined off center. It is even cocked from front to back. I noticed when i aligned the base by eye and tightend it down i could feel it cock sidways at the last turn of the screws.
I wasnt crazy about the dovetails anyway so theres a pair of QRWs on the way.
 
I have heard sevaral people express dissatisfaction with the Leupold dual dovetails. I use the regular Leupold bases and am quite happy with them (although I also make sure to hone them true). It is hard to beat good old Weaver rings and bases though and Burris is certainly top notch too.

Thanks for the post.
 
Thanks for the heads up.
I will be searching for some bases for my 300WM and don't need this hassle.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,342
Messages
1,573,369
Members
169,743
Latest member
GemmaZink
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top