Scope for large caliber rifle, NEGATIVE selection

The 1.7-13 Swarovski is the one I’m looking at for the Blaser R8 375 H&H. Think that’s a very good choice as that Caliber lends itself to both close and longer shots as does that scope. If I go with the 300 win mag for a second barrel, I’d probably go with the 2.3-18 for that. Both with Contessa QD mounts.

Have to say the Leupold VX6HD, both variants I’ve purchased, have exceeded my expectations. Not V8 glass but I’d put it up against the 5 or 6 series Swarvo glass. Our pals at EuroOptics did me right on the price for the 1-6 when it was on sale. B&H Photo on the 2-12’s at a little over a grand a piece...got the last two they had :)
We chose the Z8i 2-16x50 for our 300WM.
Figured it would be plenty of glass for hunting distances.
Although going to x16 would be nice as well.

Send me a PM if you want to talk about the Contessa mounts, we have 3.

For me, an Africa caliber starts at .400 up.
The 375 is a strong middle caliber (in my eyes) for African conditions.
I have a Swarowski 3-12x56, for my .375, actually too much .
But the gun is not only used in Africa, I am not unhappy about it .
Important as far away from the eye as possible the injury can be considerable.
I don't know what else could lead to problems with renowned market glasses.

Who knows- since I've learned that likes and dislikes for scope choice are largely subjective. IMO, For a DG scope, I'd consider such things reticle visibility, eye relief and forgiving large exit pupil... all seem pretty important. For DG scopes, high power seems a little counter productive. Of course the scope itself should be fairly rugged and have a proven track record. Then the mounts have to be strong for the recoil and rough handling.

I run a Trijacon 1.25 to 4X24 and an Aimpoint on my 416 Rigby and a Zeiss Victory 1.5-6X42 on my 375H&H. Never had a problem with any of them.

I had an Athlon take a poop on a 22lr!! Does that count??

Yest it does!!! Absolutely in line wiht the topic of the thread! (y)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg