Sauer 404

I ended up not going with the Sauer 404. There is a lot I like about it and was close to pulling the trigger on it. I looking through the specs that and the twist rates were slow and limited the choice of bullets. That wasn't disclosed by the sales person at the time. I prefer to shoot heavier bullets so an 1-11 twist 300 Winchester is pretty limiting.

I ended up not going with the Sauer 404. There is a lot I like about it and was close to pulling the trigger on it. I looking through the specs that and the twist rates were slow and limited the choice of bullets. That wasn't disclosed by the sales person at the time. I prefer to shoot heavier bullets so an 1-11 twist 300 Winchester is pretty limiting.

what weights projectiles do you shoot ? what did you end up going with ?

Interesting review of the Sauer 404. A very nice piece of engineering.

In a 300 Winchester, I prefer a 210-215 grain bullet and you need a 1-10” at a minimum.

I haven’t made any final decisions on anything new at the moment.

I was out this weekend looking at a R8. They showed me a Sauer 404 as well. Until that time, I have never handled one or even considered one. There are a lot of things I like about the rifle but don't know anyone who has owned one and reviews on the web are minimal.

Does anyone have any in the field experience with one? I was thinking about picking up in 300 Winchester for plains game.
I don’t have a Sauer but I have handled several at shows and they are really neat. I want the carbon fiber one that is like $10K! Imagine that!
I love my R8’s and can’t wait to get my next barrel in.

I’ve got both 404’s and R8’s and ever since I got the 404’s the R8’s don’t leave the cabinet.

In my opinion the 404’s are so much more comfortable to handle and shoot, more sleek, lighter but not to light. I had the carbon stock on my first one but found it to light to shoot accurately so changed it for the standard XT heated stocks, which for me are perfectly balanced.

The range of barrels and lengths in them is amazing also, for my woodland stalking rifle I’ve got the short barrel and even with the moderator on it, it still doesn’t come above my head when slung on my shoulder (and I’m only 5’10”)

The heater in the stock is amazing on driven hunts and long sitting it the cold, holds its charge well and easy to use.

I’ve also got interchangeable optics for them, the QD range is getting so much more expansive, I’ve got Swarovski’s on both also have an Aimpoint on the .300 and a pulsar on the .308. They all hold there zero perfectly as should be expected.

So in my opinion the Sauer is the way forward.

I have a Sauer 404 Classic XT Stock Receiver. I am wondering if anyone knows where I can purchase a Wood Stock /Receiver in a grade 4 or better. I have spoken with a couple gun dealers who carry Sauer rifles and they are wanting around $2350.00 just for a wood stock receiver. I hope someone can help me....PLEASE

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuigrande

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross