Satellite phone questions

The only place in Africa that I have needed my Sat Phone was the Zambezi Delta of Mozambique.

Most of Zimbabwe requires a Sat phone as well. I was pleasantly surprised that the past three trips (at one location) had a dodgy and unreliable wifi hotspot that allowed me to whatsapp family and friends, but not sufficient to make a whatsapp voice or video call.

Southern Africa is developing its mobile infrastructure rapidly, however, so you may be surprised if you assume no coverage. In any case, coverage via cell assumes a.) you have an unlocked cell and a prepaid SIM for the local carrier, and b.) you have Whatsapp installed and you are texting using that app, versus making phone calls that rarely work. c.) you are not intending to surf the web or download/update apps on your phone after you arrive.

I always take cell phone, Garmin InReach and sat phone. InReach app on cell phone connects by Bluetooth to inReach device and allows easy texting with cell phone from anywhere in the world without need of WiFi or cell service. Also has topo map, tracking and weather forecasts. Works great for communication with Ripcord and Global Rescue for emergency response as well. Each message sends recipient your GPS location if you want them to have it or can disable that function.

I agree with @buck wild, I use WhatsApp for texting, picture and video exchanging with the home front and the PH, location sharing, sending voice messages and doing phone calls, with or without good quality video…

To my experience most PH’s and people in general in Africa are only reachable via WhatsApp anyway.

To the OP, in SA you should have 4G almost anywhere. In the wilder places of Africa, unless you see a need to be reachable during the hunting hours, while tracking and stalking, there is no real need for a sat phone, as most camps will have WiFi. I see a need for a sat phone only if you truly go away from civilisation. There are such places still in Africa, but not in SA I believe.
I will be in Zim and Moz

We used a Garmin InReach in Mozambique near the boarder with Zimbabwe.

Between it and What'sApp on my regular cell phone, I didn't see a real need for anything else, unless you just like talking on the phone. (which I don't when I'm trying to get away to remote locations in foreign counties!).

We have had a iridium Sat phone for seven years. We still not used it. One of our PHs calls his wife faithfully every evening, he also used iridium.

My philosophy is ....I feel more comfortable having it with me than not having it and wish I did. that's just me.
If everyone carried everything people talked about; there would be no room for the trackers & skinners in the truck.

Zoleo is what I got. Works the same as inReach but the monthly plan comes with way more texts. Iridium so it works anywhere in the world and has sos for local or global rescue

I say bring it for the sake of having it. I have an Inreach garmin and I don't regret bringing it to Tanzania. I used it s few times. It was more piece of mind than anything else. Good luck!

Not sure you need a sat phone in South Africa. If u Have any kind of smart phone have anyone u need to communicate to download what’s app and just use the Wi-Fi at the lodge. That’s what we do.
Exactly

I was wondering what would be best for getting texts out. I’ll be in southern TZ and will just need to let the family know I’m ok and check in on them. No need to send pictures or anything like that

I was wondering what would be best for getting texts out. I’ll be in southern TZ and will just need to let the family know I’m ok and check in on them. No need to send pictures or anything like that
I used a garmin and it worked fine. Mine even sent picture. What I likes best was the SOS feature for security and piece of mind. Good luck and safe journey!

Gents- I have a trip to the Dande coming up in a couple of months and am unfortunately going to need to be reachable for business. I was told there is no Wi-Fi and cell service where we will be. Is a Sat Phone and/or Garmin Inreach the best route? Is an international plan via AT&T an option? Any advice is very much appreciated. Thank you
I used a garmin and it worked fine. Mine even sent picture. What I likes best was the SOS feature for security and piece of mind. Good luck and safe journey!

Gents- I have a trip to the Dande coming up in a couple of months and am unfortunately going to need to be reachable for business. I was told there is no Wi-Fi and cell service where we will be. Is a Sat Phone and/or Garmin Inreach the best route? Is an international plan via AT&T an option? Any advice is very much appreciated. Thank you
I too have to at least be reachable for business by voice if needed. Given this I decided to go ahead and bought my own Iridium 9555 and have not looked back. Each year I just buy a new SIM card with pre loaded minutes and works perfect for me. If you are only going once, rent one. I just in no way want to be dependent on a carrier, wifii, etc. my satelight phone gives me 100% confidence and a guaranteed conversation with my better half at the end of the day

I rented a Sat phone using Iridium for my daughters trip to greater Victoria Falls. She will not need it while in “town” as carriers in Zimbabwe and Zambia can be used. But once out in the field cell service is gone.

RSA, I think most lodges have Some WiFi service and your PH will have a VHF radio for back up camp. Likely over kill for RSA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg