Sabatti report

Discussion in 'Double Rifles' started by Rastaman, Aug 21, 2011.

1. 577nitroexpress

577nitroexpress New Member

Video/Photo:
    Sorry, phyically impossible to have a gun recoil the same way in a sitting postion (bench) and standing position. Double Gun regulation is about the recoil, twist, lift, weight, grip and load. I'm not saying they can't be close, but they are not the same period. You can prove this to your self the next time you build a double rifle and regulate the barrels; just as I did. You will then see after, you build the gun, that there is a difference. Just saying. :)

2. spike.t

spike.t AH ENABLER SPONSOR Since 2013 AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    sci int, basc,wpaz
    Hunted:
    zambia, tanzania, zimbabwe,Mozambique ,hungary, france, england
    so basically you are saying the only way you can shoot a double is standing in the same position it was regulated in? i have never built one or would be capable of doing so and you have my admiration for being able to do perform this feat. but i know what i have seen, what i have shot for regulation and the end product which were accurate double rifles that were regulated shot sitting down and then shot off hand with the same results. so i think we will have to agree to disagree :beer:

3. 577nitroexpress

577nitroexpress New Member

Video/Photo:
    They are designed to be shot standing, it is a pointing gun, not a benchrest long distance weapon, so yes. If it shoots accuractly from other shooting positions, then icing on the cake, and I think thats great. I personnaly use a shooting stand because I in no way can shoot off hand well enough to regulate a double. :beer:

4. bassasdaindia

bassasdaindia AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    I saw a 470 NE Sabatti double at the Huntex Show (South Africa) it sure looks impressive.

I have read that Sabatti has had problems,have these been resolved or not ?

5. enysse

enysse AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
    The new Sabatti's are regulated properly, it's nicely priced.

6. Heym 88

Heym 88 AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC
    Hunted:
    US
    Wonder which one is better...the Sabatti or field grade B. Searcy & Co ?

7. enysse

enysse AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
    Interesting question.

8. AkMike

AkMike AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA-Life ASSRA DRSS
    No question about it a Searcy is the better rifle.
    A total no BS warranty and top notch quality.

9. shauno

shauno AH Member

Member of:
    SSAA
    Im thinking of a Searcy Classic in either 470NE or 500NE emailed him the other day 10 to 12 month build time before shipping really tempted to get one but I really dont know anything about double rifles besides what I've read over the years. So im still justifying in my mind whether I really should get one as It might be a waste if I dont use it a lot and it might just be a self indulgent thing that I really dont need lol.

10. spike.t

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    sci int, basc,wpaz
    Hunted:
    one should be self indulgent on the odd occasion :biggrin2: so the sooner you order it the less time you will have to wait....;)

11. shauno

shauno AH Member

Member of:
    SSAA
    Yep Im thinking of it. :beer:

12. spike.t

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    sci int, basc,wpaz
    Hunted:
  13. spike.t

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    sci int, basc,wpaz
    Hunted:
    hi just been checking out your toys on your profile page, got some big boys there ;) hows the sako? the only thing missing is a double though......if you havent been to africa yet you need to take some of your selection there to give them a holiday :biggrin2:

14. Heym 88

Heym 88 AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC
    Hunted:
    US
    I got 4 weeks to go on my Heym 450/400. I am already working on buying a Searcy 470 NE. Guys....is there any cure for this??:headscratch:

15. AkMike

AkMike AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA-Life ASSRA DRSS
    The only long term cure is death!
    Even then I'm planning on taking one of them with me! :D I think a 577/500 will keep the earthworms at bay.

16. Heym 88

Heym 88 AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC
    Hunted:
    US
    577/500...now theres a stick. I haven't graduated to that manhood level yet. :ssst:

17. Bwanabob

Bwanabob AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, IPSC, Big Game Rifle Club, SSAA
    Hunted:
    Australia, New Zealand, Zimbabwe and South Africa
    I have fitted an RMR (RM08A - amber triangle reticule) to my Sabatti .450NE. Initially, I used a RM33 mount on the scope mount that comes with the Sabatti (I had to alter the Sabatti rail with a file as the RM33 is designed for Picatinny rails - yes, a little primitive but the Sabatti rail is damn ugly anyway!!!) and it shot very well. However, I felt that with the Sabatti base on top of the rib and the RM33 on top of that, it was a little too high for my liking. So we made a simple base that is only 3mm high and screwed it straight onto the rib and secured it with two of the existing mount screw holes. The result is a much lower position for the RMR and, as with before, it shoots exceptionally well.

With factory Hornady ammo, this gun will print both barrels into about 1.5" @ 50 yards. Two weeks ago I shot a charging animal match with this setup. Charging animal is 2 shots on a 50metre slow fire pistol target at 75yds, 2 shots at 50yds and 2 shots at 25yds with a time limit of 35 seconds, from the standing position. The 75yd target had right and left impacts 2" apart and just above the centre of the target. At 50yrds the impacts were about 5" apart, straddling the centre of the target (and this was my poor shooting and not the rifle's fault) and at 25yds both right and left printed so close together that the two holes were really just one elongated hole and just marginally below the centre.

So, who says Sabatti doubles don't shoot?! I have owned a number of doubles, over the years, and the only double I have owned that shot that well was a Chapuis .470 which cost me about three times the price of the Sabatti. I would still like to buy a high-grade double but, for the time being, the Sabatti will be in my gunsafe for a long time to come and the money that I would have spent on a high grade gun will pay for more hunting.

I am now in the market for a 9.3x74R as a companion for this gun.

18. Wheels

Wheels AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Botswana, Namibia, South Africa, Tanzania, Zimbabwe
    BwanaBob, Congrads on getting a shooter.

19. Buff-Buster

Buff-Buster GOLD SUPPORTER AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Houston Safari Club, Gulf Coast SCI, SCI International. Rowland Ward, NRA, RMEF, North American Hunting Club - Life Member, Texas Trophy Hunters
    Hunted:
    Mozambique, South Africa, (Kwa-Zulu Natal, Free State & East Cape), Zimbabwe (Charisa & West Nicholson), U.S.(Texas, New Mexico, LA, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Wyoming & Montana), Canada (Alberta & Saskatchewan) & Argentina (Cordoba)
    Congrats BwanaBob! I have a .470 Sabatti and it also is a "shooter". I love it. Like you, it doesn't mean I wouldn't like to have a Heym PH model in .470, just means for what I saved, I'm that much closer to taking a bull elephant with a double!

20. Arinjit

Arinjit AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    Bwanabob, I too feel like the RMR sits too high, but seems to work. Any chance you could share some pics of the mount you made for it and where you had it made? Also, do the iron sights get in the way?