Ruger RSM .416 Rigby

Two things on something we talked about a couple of months ago.
New England Custom Gun front sight bead for the RSM and #1H. My RSM is .330", the 1H is .415". You need theses numbers to order if you haven't already. I waited until my son used a micrometer to take the measurements.

Last month my son started reloading my .264 and .375. The .264 loads still require a lot of work if I am going to get close to factory Nosler 130 gr for accuracy, but they cost around $50 and up on line. We will save quite a bit if we (he) ever works up an accurate practice load. The .375 we initially loaded meaning to down load a bit actually had a little more thump to them, but about the same accuracy as my Federal factory ammo I shoot. The idea of downloading the .375 was to allow more trigger time, but with factory loads selling for $31.98 a box for the past two months at Academy, not sure we are going to save any money there.

Will start with the .416 Rigby next year

Last edited:
Thanks @sierraone , that is very helpful and your timing is perfect. I have been planning to order 2 of those from NECG. One for the 375 and 1 for the .416. Now I have no excuse for not getting it done ;)
$32 a box is pretty tough to beat. I hope you stocked up at that price! Can't reload cheaper than that.
I've been working up loads for the .375 to take to Africa in August. I'm using 300 grain Nosler Accubond's and 300 grain Hornady solids. Both shoot incredibly accurately out of my RSM. Just tuning them to shoot same point of impact. For whatever reason I have to push the DGS about 100 fps faster than the Accubond to get same POI at 100 yards
I'm just getting started with the Rigby :)

Thanks @sierraone , that is very helpful and your timing is perfect. I have been planning to order 2 of those from NECG. One for the 375 and 1 for the .416. Now I have no excuse for not getting it done ;)
$32 a box is pretty tough to beat. I hope you stocked up at that price! Can't reload cheaper than that.
I've been working up loads for the .375 to take to Africa in August. I'm using 300 grain Nosler Accubond's and 300 grain Hornady solids. Both shoot incredibly accurately out of my RSM. Just tuning them to shoot same point of impact. For whatever reason I have to push the DGS about 100 fps faster than the Accubond to get same POI at 100 yards
I'm just getting started with the Rigby :)

I would suggest you take the measurements yourself on both of your rifles. I have read that the same rifles, although made in a different year can have a different measurement. When you pull up this sight bead on the NECG website, it explains how to take the measurement. As far as the ammo goes, at this point, I am planning on using the Federal factory .375 cal 270 gr soft point loads for my first hunt, since I will not be hunting any DG. I have been shooting them for over a year now and have no trouble keeping all of the rounds in a 2 inch bulls eye at 100 yards from the bench, and that was with the 20 plus year old Bausch and Lomb scope that came with the rifle when I bought it. I now have mounted a new Weaver DG Super Slam with a 30 mm tube, 1.5 x 5. Better glass and more light! The largest animal I will hunt will be plains zebra, to have the a rug made from the skin. This hunt will be next year, as I am now working on trying achieve another one year contract in Kosovo which would enable me to plan 2 future African hunts instead of just one. I will know the result of this effort in about 6 weeks.

Ah yes, the reloads for the .375 I am shooting are using the Midway factory seconds 270 soft points. As far as I can tell the same type bullet on the Federal factory loads, just still working on a lower charge to shoot more, not hunt with them. That $31.98 a box will not go on forever!

New England Custom Gun front sight bead for the RSM and #1H. My RSM is .330", the 1H is .415". You need theses numbers to order if you haven't already. I waited until my son used a micrometer to take the measurements.

Last month my son started reloading my .264 and .375. The .264 loads still require a lot of work if I am going to get close to factory Nosler 130 gr for accuracy, but they cost around $50 and up on line. We will save quite a bit if we (he) ever works up an accurate practice load. The .375 we initially loaded meaning to down load a bit actually had a little more thump to them, but about the same accuracy as my Federal factory ammo I shoot. The idea of downloading the .375 was to allow more trigger time, but with factory loads selling for $31.98 a box for the past two months at Academy, not sure we are going to save any money there.

Thanks for this! I just picked up an RSM in .458 Lott and will be ordering a white bead from NECG. Need to measure mine first though.

Hey guys, how about removal of factory blade/bead from RSM? I've tried depressing the plunger on the bead end and gently tapping forward to no avail. Is there some trick? Also, is the plunger captured, or will it fly out when/if the blade does slide forward? Thanks.

Hey guys, how about removal of factory blade/bead from RSM? I've tried depressing the plunger on the bead end and gently tapping forward to no avail. Is there some trick? Also, is the plunger captured, or will it fly out when/if the blade does slide forward? Thanks.

Shuter, On my 1H the blade came off easily and the plunger did not fire off into the atmosphere. On my RSM, I have to wait until I go to my son's house again to have access to a correct size punch. It would not come off with the make shift item we were using when he was here a few weeks ago. For me this isn't a problem since I am concentrating now on practice with my .375 H&H since that is what I will be using next year. The earliest I will be visiting him in Little Rock will be during June or July and hope to have it removed at that time. I will post the results once I have that accomplished.

Thanks. I pressed (with a bent paperclip:) and tapped as hard and as much as I felt comfortable doing and not a budge.

I now have mounted a new Weaver DG Super Slam with a 30 mm tube, 1.5 x 5.
Please keep us posted on how that scope performs and holds up! I see some good deals on them from time to time and have been tempted.

Please keep us posted on how that scope performs and holds up! I see some good deals on them from time to time and have been tempted.

I have had it at the range once since adding the new scope. My son bore sighted it, then I zeroed it at 100 with either 6 or 9 rounds, can't remember now. Same power as the previous Bausch and Lomb, but 20 year newer glass and 30 mm tube, vs 1 inch on the old one. Shot some steel plates with it at 200 yards, but they were like 18 inches across, so no way to compare drop or rise on a real target. Still need a real 200 yd range
for practice, since that will be my max self imposed shooting distance in Africa. Hopefully will be at a 100 yd range on Weds or Thurs shooting some Federal factory and some "lighter" reloads that I haven't tried yet. The first reloads we shot three weeks ago actually had more recoil that the factory rounds. They were loaded to the middle of the chart my son used. The ones I have now are loaded at the lightest load on his chart for a .375 with 270 gr bullets. Can't remember the number of the powder, but he uses it for many different calibers.

I got braver and hammered on the front sight blade pretty well until it came loose. Bluing salts weren't the problem; it was just fitted into the slot very tightly. Anyway, my RSM .458 Lott front blade measures .330 high as well. I will be ordering a white bead NECG replacement tomorrow.

I got braver and hammered on the front sight blade pretty well until it came loose. Bluing salts weren't the problem; it was just fitted into the slot very tightly. Anyway, my RSM .458 Lott front blade measures .330 high as well. I will be ordering a white bead NECG replacement tomorrow.

Very good. That should give me a better chance of removing mine without causing damage!

I taped off all around the blade with electrical tape. Used a bent paperclip at an awkward angle to depress the plunger until the blade just started to move, at which point it held the plunger down. The plunger is captive, so it doesn't fly out.

@shuter , @sierraone , thank you both for the info (y)
Sounds like NECG is experiencing a demand peak on these front sights :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vilianagmp

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg