Ruger Rifles

I also have a Ruger mod.77 in .30-'06 light sporter that is my main deer rifle. It will never win a shooting contest but it always gets the job done. The rifle I used the most in Africa was a Ruger mod.
#1 in .375 H&H, which I absolutly love, and it did everything it was supposed to. I have no complaints about either rifle and wouldn't hesitate to take them hunting anywhere.

Glad you like the #1. Its one of my favorite rifles, I have .257, 7x57, and .303 Brit right now but have had others too. The only one I have had that I didnt really like was the .450-400 Tropical but only because of recoil. It shot very well but gave me a recoil headache when shooting. Not enough weight I think as my heavier CZ .404 Jeffery loaded even hotter doesn't give me a headache, just a bruised shoulder and that I can handle.

I have owned several Ruger rifles and pistols over the years and have found them all to be solid weapons. I currently have two rifles, an older red pad .338 that has been a workhorse of a weapon, going on over 20 elk hunts in the Rockies, and never failing me regardless of the weather. The Mark 2 .375 H&H Safari Magnum I have is a bear of a gun, pushing 9+ pounds, and looking every bit like a custom rifle costing 4 times as much. The weight sucks up recoil, and the accuracy, with even cheaper ammo, is well within 2 inches at 100 yds. and close to sub-moa with premium ammo on a bench. The only modification I made was with the trigger that was tight, replacing it with a Timney. As a side note, I had an FFL for over 20 years and sold over 3,000 rifles in that period, many of them Rugers. Unlike the CZ's, Marlins, Savages, Mossbergs, Voere's, and some of the cheaper WInchesters; I never had one returned. The new No. 1's are very well made, however the "African" models do not seem to be as well made as the older Mark 2 Safari Magnums. The pistols are some of the finest made in the world!

I have a ruger 77MkII that started life as a 30-06. It now wears a Krieger barrel chambered for 6.5-284 NORMA. Even with minimal load development and a heavy factory trigger, it is easily the most accurate rifle I own. It is shooting five shot groups in the .3's @ 100 yards and I am just getting started with it. One thing I have learned so far, however, is that Ruger 77's are very sensitive to torque on the action screws. When I started barrel break-in, my rifle was shooting about 3" groups @ 100 yards. When I checked the action screws, the rear screw was loose. After tightening the rear screw until it was just snug, my rifle started shooting into one ragged hole. After that experience, my recommendation to anyone having accuracy problems with a Ruger 77 is to make sure that the front action screw is cranked down as tight as you can get it without stripping something. After that, tighten the rear action screw until it is just snug and stop.

I also have a Ruger #1A in 7x57. It is a beautiful, elegant little rifle. I was initially disappointed with it because it was exhibiting severe vertical stringing on its first few trips to the range. After doing some research, I decided to give it another try with the forearm removed to see if the problem was being caused by a forearm/hanger issue. With the forearm removed, it shot 175gr Federal factory loads into just under an inch @ 100 yards. Now I just need to send my rifle to a smith to have the forearm bedded and free floated. When that is done, I will be confident enough in this rifle to take it afield. When I finally do take my first trip to Africa, my #1 will go along as my light gun. It is such a joy to carry and shoot! I can't wait!

In general, I think Ruger makes some very good rifles that are both rugged and have good accuracy potential. However, out of the box, one should expect to do some minor tweaking to get them to function at their best. Given a little TLC, they will shoot with just about any factory rifle around and will be tougher in the field than most. If you have a Ruger that is not shooting up to your expectations, don't give up on it! You may just need to correct a minor issue.

With the Number 1 rifles, a critical thing to watch for in shooting these lovely little rifles off the bench is forearm position on the sandbags, if used. What I have found is that if I am not consistent in where the forearm is placed fore and aft, I will get more vertical stringing. I try to always place the rifle so that the rear of the forearm just ahead of the receiver is on the bags and avoid back and forth shifting on the bags. After owning and shooting a number of these guns in various cals., I believe this to be the most likely culprit in stringing. My most fun to shoot Number 1 rifles at this time is a S.S. 1A in .257 Roberts. This little gun is a joy to shoot, accurate, consistent with nice wood. And unlike many rifles so chambered it likes heavy bullets. Its preferred bullet without lots of testing is the Sierra PH 117 gr flat base. I get between 2800-2900fps using 4831, either IMR or H. And this from a 22" barrel. Love the Number 1.

Hi guys

Has anyone got- or had experience with a Ruger Hawkeye African in 9.3x62?
I'm on the prowel for a 9.3x62, and the Ruger looks like a serious option :)

Thanks!

Marshy

The Hawkeye African seems to be a great rifle but have not yet seen one in that cal as it is still new. If I didnt already have a CZ in the same cal I would be looking very hard for the Ruger.

Ruger's Great.

Ruger is one of the better mass producers of firearms. As such they make reliable, desireable arms that work... but only mostly. They have had trigger problems, barrel problems, and the Num. 1 is one major pain to break down for a good cleaning. But they are certainly better than some of the junk that's been produced by others over time.

If you want a rifle that works perfect, is balanced, and fits you, there's no substitute for a custom, or vintage rifle.

I've got a 9.3x62 I just made up with a new barrel and FN action.
James

Hi guys

Has anyone got- or had experience with a Ruger Hawkeye African in 9.3x62?
I'm on the prowel for a 9.3x62, and the Ruger looks like a serious option :)

Thanks!

Marshy

Ruger is one of the better mass producers of firearms. As such they make reliable, desireable arms that work... but only mostly. They have had trigger problems, barrel problems, and the Num. 1 is one major pain to break down for a good cleaning. But they are certainly better than some of the junk that's been produced by others over time.

If you want a rifle that works perfect, is balanced, and fits you, there's no substitute for a custom, or vintage rifle.

I agree, but I think they ARE the best mass produced firearm. I have never owned a mass produced rifle that felt sooooo good. The Ruger M77 gets an A+ rating in my mind.

I have owned 2 Ruger rifles. Actually, I still have one of them. The 1st was Mk1 in 338WM. Must admit that this one worked like a swiss clock. Not exceptionally accurate 1 1/2" groups at best, but then I used it for hunting Sambar here in Australia so the shots were close (less them 100 yards) and the target reasonably large 6-8".

As was a common problem with that model eventually the stock cracked through the pistol grip.

The second ruger I own is MKII in 416 Ruger. I purchased this rifle at the start of the year with thinking that I would use it as a backup gun in Africa. Have to say that I was disappointed with the quality. Mine would only feed the first round out of the magazine with consecutive rounds all jamming. This was with Hornady ammo. When I tried reloads this improved if the projectile was seated out so the round would just fit in the magazine.
Unfortunately I could not use it this manner as the recoil would drive the projectiles back into the case.
As a result I had to take this gun to visit the gunsmith. After removing the barrel and re-shaping the feed ramp, re-shaping the feed rails, adjusting the angles on the magazine follower, and straightening the bent extractor claw the rifle then worked as it should. Apparently Ruger has decided to market this model as a DG rifle, I would be more inclined to changed that to a potentially DG rifle if mine is anything to go by.

Glenn L

I own a Ruger No. 1 Tropical in 375 H&H Magnum that shoots half inch groups off the bench at 100m / 109 yards. I am told that this is exceptional for a No. 1 and particularly one in that calibre, but it groups consistently well so I guess I have a good one.

I also have a Ruger No. 1 RSI full stock carbine in 7X57 MM Mauser (for my son's use) that doesn't shoot as well but will keep five shots in well under 1.5 inches at the same distance.

I have shot in a friend's old model Ruger bolt action stainless laminated in 30-06 and put two hastily fired shots in the black centre (1 inch) of the target also at 100 metres off a bench. So I can say, based on my experience with Ruger rifles, that they shoot. I also think that the Ruger No. 1 is the most beautiful rifle built in the last century!

I have a Ruger Speed Six snubby in 357 Magnum and a Super Black Hawk in 44 Magnum with a 5,5 inch barrel which I use as a back-up weapon when hunting in areas where Leopard, Hyena and Bushpig are prevalent. Both are exceptional and strong weapons that a person can rely on in a crunch. I took down a charging Warthog on my last hunt in Zululand with the Ruger Super Black Hawk.

I also hunt with Remington and Marlin rifles and have hunted with BRNO and Tikka weapons so I am able to make comparative judgements.

Goss Hunt - June 2011 013.jpg

Federick
I used a 416 Ruger on a recent buff hunt in Zim. When I first purchased the rifle it would not feed with the Hornady factory ammo. It was some what better with reloads using Woodleigh projectiles but still not 100% reliable. Took it to my gunsmith and he had to re-shape the feed ramp, feed rails, magazine follower. Also because it is CRF he reshaped the extractor claw to allow single loading.

Finally had a set of EAW pivot mounts fitted as the opens sights are pretty good. I found that the open sights shoot about 2" low at 50 yards. Have not been able to find a lower front bead to correct this.

The one thing I have noticed is that as I shoot the more the accuracy is improving, now to about 3/4" groups at 100 yards.

Certainly it is a handy rifle to carry, especially in thick bush as it nice and short. It is a little on the light side as far as weight so recoil takes some getting used to.

Trigger pull is also a little heavy but on a DG rifle I don't think that's a bad thing.

Hope this helps

I have a 77 in 7mm mag and it's been a good gun, not great but good. I also have two Hawkeye's in 375 Ruger and both have been great guns for our Africa trips. Short, quick, and accurate. I shot an Eland one shot at 325 yds. So I'm a fan.

I've got an RSM in 416 Rigby and it shoots like a dream. I did have to do some tuning on the spring-loaded ejector blade, but now it works 100% of the time. My 10/22 has functioned flawlessly for years.

I am less happy with my 77 Hawkeye in 300 Win Mag. I had to upgrade the firing pin / spring and do a little trigger work to remove the "creep". The stock was pretty crappy and got replaced with one from H-S precision. After 3 shots, the barrel gets hot and starts stringing shots. Cryo-treatment did not help, so there is a shilen barrel waiting for install as soon as I return from WY next month.

The action feeds flawlessly, so I guess I'm willing to stick the extra bucks into it.

- browningbbr

PS: I enysse - long time no see...

I've just purchased a Ruger M77 Hawkeye African in .300Win Mag.
It's for large Fallow and Sambar deer but also one of the Two rifles i will be taking to Africa as it'll be ideal for most plains game.
(the other will be a CZ550 or a Merkel Double depending on the next couple of months finances, or i win the lottery and can buy that H&H double in .500NE)

less than a one inch group out of the box at 100 yards using the express sights, and the holes were touching at 200yards using the Zeiss conquest scope in 3-9x40mm, both times using Norma 180grain bullets.

and it looks and feels like a proper hunters rifle that should cost a lot more than it does, not some horrible plastic and stainless gun that looks like it came out of the GIjoe section of Kmart

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goldpatnners

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,