Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, NA Hunt Club
Hunted
Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)
Here is 5 of my favorite domestic rifle, the old model Ruger 77 with tang safety and sights. L-R is my latest acquisition, 7x57 round top that uses Remington type bases. Then a custom barreled .280 Remington, .30-06, .35 Whelen and the bad boy .458 Win on the right.
IMG_3163.JPG

Nice my friend!

Very nice, like the headline!

Very Cute

Very nice collection. Thanks for sharing your happy "family"

nice!

Thanks guys, there is something about this model that I like very much. They are stocked almost like just for me and the actions are uniformly smooth. While they are push feed guns, they do have the large Mauser extractor which I like. The .280 custom was the first one I ever bought ( 1984) and it was a .270 Win., which didn't live up to my expectations, but I became very interested in the .280 Rem about the same time so had a local smith shop rebarrel it for me and its been an excellent shooter. I used to shoot it in NRA Sporting rifle matches and did very well with it. The 7x57 on the left I just got and it shows great promise. Its the oldest one, made in 1972 and is the round top model. The .458 had to have its feed ramp worked on to feed from the mag, Ruger of course wouldn't touch it so had to pay a smith to do it:mad:. The .30-06 is a real shooter and will likely follow me to Namibia next year unless I change my mind which is always possible.:rolleyes::eek: It shoots both Nosler 200 gr Partitions and Accubonds very well. The Whelen hasn't been shot as much as the others yet, but it too shows promise, all are keepers.:D

BTW, from left to right the scopes are Kahles 3-9, Zeiss Conquest 3-9, Meopta 3-9, Nikon 3-9 and Leupold 1.5-4X. All good scopes, of this bunch the best is probably the Meopta or the Zeiss.

I'm a big Ruger fan too, just wish they'd put a better recoil pad on their rifles. The "classic" red pad is nothing to write home about.

The red pad is fine for the lesser calibers but not much for mags, that's for sure. The later blacks are no better. The Ruger No.1 especially needs a much better pad for the larger calibers. Wood quality varies a lot, these days with much less nice wood available, most rifles get fairly plain wood. I have some No.1's with nice wood but most of the 77 stuff is plain, though my .458 is very nice circassian walnut, and while its hard to see in this photo the first gun, the 7x57 does have some figure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warpig602.0

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross