Rotary bolt design?

Slugs Away

AH veteran
Reaction score
I have noticed that winchester and benelli are using a rotary bolt design on there pump action shotguns, just curious for your opinions on the rotary design.

Thank you.

If a breech-block rotates about the bore axis to lock or unlock, it is a breech-bolt (or bolt for short). If it does not rotate about the bore axis to lock or unlock, it is simply a breech-block. That being said ... a breech-bolt should, in theory, provide stronger locking and a degree of camming action, both of which could be useful with high pressure goose-hunting or slug loads. I suspect that it is a simple matter of keeping the guns as idiot-proof as possible.

My opinion, others may disagree.

Rotary bolt is a tautology. Mr Ruger may be the guilty party here, in that he described the unlocked breech-block on his 10/22 rifle as a [breech] bolt whereas that term can truthfully be applied only to ... a locking breech-block that rotates about the barrel axis, to lock and unlock.

This is why the AR10 and AR15 have [breech] bolts sitting in [breech] bolt carriers; and the FN FAL , SLR L1A1/L1A2 with their tipping block actions, have breech-blocks, sitting in breech-block carriers.

I see, excuse my ignorance. I had to wiki to find out the meaning of "tautology". Thanks for your replie.

I have used Winchester 1200 shoguns with the rotating "bolt" - they worked reliably, with a little more resistance to the pump stroke than typical tip up locking mechanism like a Rem 870 or Ithaca 37. I prefer the latter design, - shorter stroke, a tiny bit quicker and a little easier to operate. But the Winchester design is strong and was perfectly acceptable to me.

Thanks Longwalker
I think l will stick with my mossberg.

I truly dislike getting brutalized buy a 3 1/2" magnum so I buy autoloaders for hunting and pumps for IDPA

My earlier Winchester DEF 1300 also had a rotating bolt. But let me try and explain in laymans terms. The bolt/slide is a solid piece of metal that slides forwards and backwards but does not turn. On the front part of this bolt the head about 1/5 is a loose part that is rotating about a quater turn. So the bolt doesn't turn, but only the bolt head/face.

The idea is to make extraction easier to pull backwards with a twist and more reliable loading using the same twist principle. During exercises in the army Berretta roit shotguns were prone to unloading/loading failures in the hands of a novice shooter. When shooting the Winchester there was less unloading/loading failures in the same exercise

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoanRigby4

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you