Rotary bolt design?

Slugs Away

AH veteran
Joined
Jan 22, 2016
Messages
145
Reaction score
54
Location
In my tent, BC Canada
I have noticed that winchester and benelli are using a rotary bolt design on there pump action shotguns, just curious for your opinions on the rotary design.

Thank you.
 
If a breech-block rotates about the bore axis to lock or unlock, it is a breech-bolt (or bolt for short). If it does not rotate about the bore axis to lock or unlock, it is simply a breech-block. That being said ... a breech-bolt should, in theory, provide stronger locking and a degree of camming action, both of which could be useful with high pressure goose-hunting or slug loads. I suspect that it is a simple matter of keeping the guns as idiot-proof as possible.

My opinion, others may disagree.
 
Rotary bolt is a tautology. Mr Ruger may be the guilty party here, in that he described the unlocked breech-block on his 10/22 rifle as a [breech] bolt whereas that term can truthfully be applied only to ... a locking breech-block that rotates about the barrel axis, to lock and unlock.

This is why the AR10 and AR15 have [breech] bolts sitting in [breech] bolt carriers; and the FN FAL , SLR L1A1/L1A2 with their tipping block actions, have breech-blocks, sitting in breech-block carriers.
 
I see, excuse my ignorance. I had to wiki to find out the meaning of "tautology". Thanks for your replie.
 
I have used Winchester 1200 shoguns with the rotating "bolt" - they worked reliably, with a little more resistance to the pump stroke than typical tip up locking mechanism like a Rem 870 or Ithaca 37. I prefer the latter design, - shorter stroke, a tiny bit quicker and a little easier to operate. But the Winchester design is strong and was perfectly acceptable to me.
 
I truly dislike getting brutalized buy a 3 1/2" magnum so I buy autoloaders for hunting and pumps for IDPA
 
My earlier Winchester DEF 1300 also had a rotating bolt. But let me try and explain in laymans terms. The bolt/slide is a solid piece of metal that slides forwards and backwards but does not turn. On the front part of this bolt the head about 1/5 is a loose part that is rotating about a quater turn. So the bolt doesn't turn, but only the bolt head/face.

The idea is to make extraction easier to pull backwards with a twist and more reliable loading using the same twist principle. During exercises in the army Berretta roit shotguns were prone to unloading/loading failures in the hands of a novice shooter. When shooting the Winchester there was less unloading/loading failures in the same exercise
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,440
Messages
1,576,440
Members
170,586
Latest member
SelinaZimm
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hornedfrogbbq wrote on Rhoyland4's profile.
Do you mind me asking what auction you are referencing? I'm not in the market for any of those rifles...just curious.

Frosty in Fort Worth
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
 
Top