Road trip

nztimb

AH ambassador
Joined
May 5, 2009
Messages
5,410
Reaction score
22,341
Media
1,632
Articles
6
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
4
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
A very good friend had a tiny home built and with chats to my wife it was evident there was a tight budget so I decided that we would save her the delivery fees and tow it over for her. It was going to be a long haul as the home was up the coast from us so we set off at 6am and got to the yard by 8.30 (red line)only to find that the wiring loom was all encases and the taillight was a lcd sealed unit so I was unable to use the rear facing camera I had and this made a trip into the nearest town to buy a mirror extension so it was near 10am before I was able to hook up to the 8 meter long by 4.1 meter high by 2.45meter wide 3 1/2 ton unti and get under way.
map 3.png

It was a tiring drive as the tiny home was heavy on the drawbar so stearing was a bit light which caused a few head shakes if there was a bit of a bump in the road going round corners etc as it would push the truck without responding to the stearing immediatly but all in all it wasn't too bad with being able to maintain a steady 80kph although the hills slowed us down a bit. Went over the southern alp via the Lewis pass (blue line) as I know the road and back down the coast to Ross for 877km and arriving at 9pm. We slept in the unit for the night and next morning our friend and a lot of the very friendly locals made a bit of a fuss over things. After breakfast I got it up the hill although I did have to engage the low box diff lock to do so, but soon it was on site and positioned where wanted and had a very happy friend and group of neighbours with hugs, thanks and congratulations all round
Rested up for the day with a visit to a dillapadated looking old building that housed a close to 50 old motorcycles and ford cars being restored and lots of memoriabillia so that was a godd few hours chatting with the owner on various subjects with a very nice meal (he also owned the pub)
Yesterday was the drive home via the Arthurs pass (black line) which is a much more serious road with steeper (16*) gradients and lots of very tight corners but it was just 675 km home that way, although there were so many tight places where a photo would have been excellent but there were no stopping signs as it was dangerous to do so.
map 2.png
 
That's quite a load you took there, but it sounds like you made the most of the trip and had some fun along the way. Good on you for helping out a friend in such a way. Very nice.

Some pretty cool old cars and bikes too!
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,338
Messages
1,573,271
Members
169,733
Latest member
logsafeus
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top