Ritual

When I killed my first deer (8 years old), I was taught to pray, pay respect, and to give thanks for the animal taken. I was also taught to be the first one who touches the animal, since his spirit will be transferred to me. My face was smeared with blood as well, and I had to be the first one to eat anything (cooked) from the animal taken. I also skinned and gutted the animal without the help of anyone. My animal, my responsibility to do all the work. I've continue with this tradition, and I've passed it on to everyone who I've introduced into hunting.

In South Africa, with your first kill, you get blood smeared on your face in the bush straight after the shot. Everyone who then sees your blooded face during the day congratulates you. Then that night everyone who had a first kill that day gathers around the fire and has to take a bite out of the raw liver cut out the buck (if it is a doe) and try (as best they can) to swallow it. If you shot a male, they cut off the testicles and you try to take a bite from them raw (extremely tough to bite into actually). If you're with a group that is little more accommodating, they might let you cook the testicles first. I had to do mine raw. All the while, everyone is standing around cheering you on and laughing at your gagging and theatrics... and then you are part of the "tribe", with your own story to tell. It is a tremendous sense of camaraderie.

That's all a hard pass for me

Several decades ago, my first caribou hunt i was in the Northwest Territories. While field dressing my first caribou, my guide thrust a small bit of liver at me saying, “must eat is good and a tradition”. I ate it. I then carved off a larger chuck, swapped it in bile held it to his face and said “eat!’ He laughed and said, “I would not eat that shit!”. I stated, “you will today or no tip.” He looked at me and decided I was serious and quickly ate the raw liver. He seemed happy with his tip at the end of our adventure.

Last edited:
I pray before i go into the woods, give thanks for everything.

A silent Cheyenne prayer of thanks to the Great Spirit for presenting me this sustenance.

I had to eat a piece of liver and had the blood smear done....I dont eat balls....
I would not push our traditions down on a visiting hunter..rather find out ahead of time what they prefer...
The Germans have an outstanding tradition of respect towards a hunted animal and pay due respects....
Elephant hunting is followed by the cutting of the tail in most cases....
Respect for the animal hunted is most important...and giving thanks for the oportunity and especially in the case of success.

As for pre hunt rituals I will always cycle all rounds I carry with me for the day through the rifle, every day before going out...and I always carry one solid extra in my pocket....

I do think there is a big difference between a strong cultural tradition and people being douchy. Unless you are hunting native land, maybe have a local tracker in which this is very important, or a true European hunt b/c they take this seriously...it's just showing off and is imo disrespectful or at least very unnecessary.

When I killed my first deer (8 years old), I was taught to pray, pay respect, and to give thanks for the animal taken. I was also taught to be the first one who touches the animal, since his spirit will be transferred to me. My face was smeared with blood as well, and I had to be the first one to eat anything (cooked) from the animal taken. I also skinned and gutted the animal without the help of anyone. My animal, my responsibility to do all the work. I've continue with this tradition, and I've passed it on to everyone who I've introduced into hunting.

I respect that a lot! You were taught well.

Hey Guys,
I have some buddies that say after you kill your first deer you have to eat the heart raw right in the field. I am guessing they are yanking my chain???

My father recently took a trip to Africa for a leopard hunt, and in the beginning they needed meat for the bait. He ended up shooting a Buffalo, and when they were through they split it open and ate the heart over an open fire. It did seem pretty weird, but when you kill something big or just plain awesome, it does make sense for people to do something strange to celebrate.

Best wishes,
John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RXQLela937

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber