Rigby double rifles

Bazz

AH member
Joined
May 5, 2011
Messages
35
Reaction score
1
Member of
none
Hunted
Sweden
Many years ago,during the golden age of hunting in Africa,my late uncle often hunted in Kenya and Tanzania.He had 2 or 3 different guns but his favotite was a .455 rigby express double rifle,i remember staring in awe at it in the gun cabinet when he was back at home.It looked rather heavy.I was wondering if anyone out there had ever used one of these guns and if so did it have a hard kick back?thanks,Barry
 
I suspect that you've gotten the name of that cartridge wrong. 455 doesn't ring a bell for me..
If it was a 450 Nitro Express, 3 1/4" or the 3 1/2" #2 it'll kick about the same as a 458 WM or less because of the added weight of a DR vs a bolt gun. It will let you know you've shot it but it's very controlable.
The 470 NE should be about the same, (I haven't shot one of those yet) it'll toss out a 500 grn bullet at the same speed as the 450 NE's.
 
I suspect that you've gotten the name of that cartridge wrong. 455 doesn't ring a bell for me..
If it was a 450 Nitro Express, 3 1/4" or the 3 1/2" #2 it'll kick about the same as a 458 WM or less because of the added weight of a DR vs a bolt gun. It will let you know you've shot it but it's very controlable.
The 470 NE should be about the same, (I haven't shot one of those yet) it'll toss out a 500 grn bullet at the same speed as the 450 NE's.

I agree with these comments - have never heard of a '455' in a double rifle.:(
 
To me, the .470 NE has about the same felt recoil as the .458 LOTT. Unless you let rip with both barrels, in which case the recoil won't worry you much because you'll be more worried about finding all your teeth...! :biggrin2:
 
Thanks for the reply.It was a long time ago and i think it was a .450 nitro express.I suspected that it must have a heck of a kick.My uncle was a professional hunter in Kenya before the hunting ban and also in Tanzania and Uganda.
 
I've got several 450's and they aren't bad at all.
It depends on what you're used to though.
 
Buzz,

Would you have any pictures of your uncle while he was hunting. I find the pictures of the old East Africa camps and hunting very cool.
 
Would that have been Chuck Bazzy? Just curious.
 
Thanks,i think the double rifles are great.
 
my uncle died along time ago,all his guns were sold andover the years we lost contact with his side of the family and i dont know what happened to all his gear.
 
Many years ago,during the golden age of hunting in Africa,my late uncle often hunted in Kenya and Tanzania.He had 2 or 3 different guns but his favotite was a .455 rigby express double rifle,i remember staring in awe at it in the gun cabinet when he was back at home.It looked rather heavy.I was wondering if anyone out there had ever used one of these guns and if so did it have a hard kick back?thanks,Barry
The only 455 I have ever heard of was a prewar revolver cartridge. No such animal in the nitro express rounds.
 
In a Rigby double rifle the chambering was most likely a 500/465NE ! If so it was a real stopper! and if in good shape today worth a lot of money!
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,308
Messages
1,572,407
Members
169,561
Latest member
DPALorene0
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top