Rifle case set up

Backyardsniper

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
The rifle case is prepared. I left space for a future extra barrel, bolt and trigger mechanism. I really think this double rifle/blaser combo is the way to go as far as getting the most firepower in the smallest and easiest to transport package. I cut a thin piece piece of foam to sit on top of the blaser barrel to prevent any up and down movement.
20230131_104723.jpg

Last edited:
Do you guys run all 4 locks on your cases? I have a set of 4 that all use the same key and I wondered if 2 on the rifle case and two on the ammo case was sufficient or should I just buy another set for the ammo case and run the full set on both cases?

very well executed! much better job than I did with my 2 rifle case!

RE: Locks... yes.. if there is a hole, put a lock in it... I've had TSA raise holy hell over a hole without a lock...

Its something of a stupid policy.. if you have a case with only one lock hole, then only 1 lock is fine by TSA.. but if your case has 20 lock holes.. they expect to see 20 locks.. :confused:

I bought a 24 pack of decent locks off of Amazon a couple of years back.. all use the same key... now everything in my life has the same lock and key.. the gate to the fence, the boat trailer.. the storage unit.. my rifle cases.. my bow case.. the ammo box... etc.. all use the same lock (and I still have about a dozen sitting in a box outside if/when I ever need them)...

Do you guys run all 4 locks on your cases? I have a set of 4 that all use the same key and I wondered if 2 on the rifle case and two on the ammo case was sufficient or should I just buy another set for the ammo case and run the full set on both cases?
If you're going to fly with it, all holes have to be filled with locks.

When traveling domestically I have had a few TSA agents bring up the fact I should have 4 locks on my rifle case. I think its a bit overkill when it comes to a pelican case, I normally have one on each end but may add another 2 when going to ZIm this year. I feel if someone really wants to get into that case, the 2 extra locks wont matter much.

When traveling domestically I have had a few TSA agents bring up the fact I should have 4 locks on my rifle case. I think its a bit overkill when it comes to a pelican case, I normally have one on each end but may add another 2 when going to ZIm this year. I feel if someone really wants to get into that case, the 2 extra locks wont matter much.
Yeah those locks aren't stopping any body from getting in there, but it is easy enough to just run all 4 locks, so that is what I will do. That is a lot easier than dealing with any potential hassle with TSA or whomever.

I got locks with the longer shackles so that I'd have more versatility with them (short shackle would work well for the rifle case.. but wouldn't lend itself to locking the UTV trailer, boat trailer, etc...)...

Theyre not great locks.. but to your point, if someone wants in your fence, rifle case, etc.. a simple pad lock of pretty much any design isn't keeping anyone out.. it just keeps the honest people honest..

The ones that have been exposed to weather long term (on the fence, boat trailer, etc) have rusted up a little bit.. but they still function perfectly.. the ones I set aside for the rifle cases and other lockable objects that generally don't get subjected to the outdoors for long periods of time, look and function just as good today as they did when I first bought them years ago.. I should be set for the rest of my life.. for what at the time I think was a $55 investment (today they are just under $70)...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-02-01 at 6.25.25 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-01 at 6.25.25 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 50
Last edited by a moderator:

I got locks with the longer shackles so that I'd have more versatility with them (short shackle would work well for the rifle case.. but wouldn't lend itself to locking the UTV trailer, boat trailer, etc...)...

Theyre not great locks.. but to your point, if someone wants in your fence, rifle case, etc.. a simple pad lock of pretty much any design isn't keeping anyone out.. it just keeps the honest people honest..

The ones that have been exposed to weather long term (on the fence, boat trailer, etc) have rusted up a little bit.. but they still function perfectly.. the ones I set aside for the rifle cases and other lockable objects that generally don't get subjected to the outdoors for long periods of time, look and function just as good today as they did when I first bought them years ago.. I should be set for the rest of my life.. for what at the time I think was a $55 investment (today they are just under $70)...
Awesome. Thanks, I'll probably just scoop up a set of those and then I'll be good to go for whatever occasion.

Looks good!

I could not appreciate how much of a PITA a large heavy rifle case was. Flew domestic once, it wasn't fun was not that bad. International is a different story. The smaller case is much more travel friendly. For the first time in my life I'm happy to carry a small package:ROFLMAO:

Looks good!

I could not appreciate how much of a PITA a large heavy rifle case was. Flew domestic once, it wasn't fun was not that bad. International is a different story. The smaller case is much more travel friendly. For the first time in my life I'm happy to carry a small package:ROFLMAO:
I feel ya bro!

As an experiment I am curious if a second pelican 1700 with no foam may be a good idea as one of our checked bags. There would be an issue with not being able to fit the ammo case inside it, but we could run a second small checked bag for that. We get one checked bag each. In the pics below that is 2 pants, a button up, 3 t shirts, 4 pair
20230131_125453.jpg
socks, 3 underwear, and the wife's boots. I was hoping to go with one checked bag plus rifle case and our carry ons. Just an idea though.

We carried 2 sets of clothes on our carry-on, just in case. I'm not sure you are gaining any by going that route? Maybe a more weather resistant suite case? I'm just not sure you have the CIs of a good check bag. So you might be giving up so storage space for weather resistant. It would be a good decoy is someone were to trying anything shady.

We carried 2 sets of clothes on our carry-on, just in case. I'm not sure you are gaining any by going that route? Maybe a more weather resistant suite case? I'm just not sure you have the CIs of a good check bag. So you might be giving up so storage space for weather resistant. It would be a good decoy is someone were to trying anything shady.
Yeah I agree I'm not sure if it really brings any extra benefit. I have a good rolling duffel that will easily fit both me and the wife's stuff, but its almost too big, I was thinking this might be handier, but I believe that the big rolling duffel is the way to go. One rifle case, the rolling duffel and two carry on. I'm trying to keep the packing as light as possible.

Case is sharp.

As someone else mentioned, Pelican has luggage with no foam. I have both checked and carry-on. When I travel I always have someone approach and ask about them. Seems like they are still relatively unknown. I love them.

Case is sharp.

As someone else mentioned, Pelican has luggage with no foam. I have both checked and carry-on. When I travel I always have someone approach and ask about them. Seems like they are still relatively unknown. I love them.
I just finished checking out the pelican luggage. I think I may purchase the Large air travel case. It comes in right on 62 linear inches, so no arguing with them about oversize baggage, it weighs 16.6lbs so that leaves you +/-34lbs of junk. It's solid, and all the pelican stuff is warrantied so if they do manage to tear it up at the airport, or wherever, then at least you can get it replaced. Seems like a good investment.

I do not think you will be disappointed. I was very confident in my trip to Joburg, Port Elizabeth and back. However false the confidence was, it also felt good to lock the built in TSA locks when turning it over to handlers in Africa. Solid case, solid wheels, solid handles.
Got both of mine at B&H.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RamiroMcGu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg