Richards Microfit Gunstocks

Anyone have the modern classic safari classic or the #102 old classic. I think I'll get on for my 09 Argentine 9.3x62 build I am starting, I'd just like to compare them.

I think I'll go with the round forend and ebony tip.

I have one of their stocks from years ago on a Springfield sporter, sort of a Griffin and Howe style, straight comb.
I like it.

Anyone have the modern classic safari classic or the #102 old classic. I think I'll get on for my 09 Argentine 9.3x62 build I am starting, I'd just like to compare them.

I think I'll go with the round forend and ebony tip.
I have 3 of the #102 old classic stocks. One has the oval forend. The others are round. I prefer the round. I really like them. Great stocks for the $$ but they do require quite a bit of inletting work.

Do they tend to get the grain correct? It would be a shame to get a stock, with the grain not right for a larger rifle.

Many of us can’t afford to start from scratch with a blank, and these seem to be a reasonable alternative if they are dependable.

I have 3 of the #102 old classic stocks. One has the oval forend. The others are round. I prefer the round. I really like them. Great stocks for the $$ but they do require quite a bit of inletting work.
I think that's what's on my other 09 but I didn't order it and that was almost 20 years ago, it has the oval forend. I want kinda a safari style stock for the 9.3

Here are some crappy pictures of the Richards stock on my 7x57ai John van Patten ordered it in 2002 ish and passed away before finishing the rifle and stock. I've been finishing the gun the last couple of years, I stimmpled the stock and think it came out fine. I still have to rust blue the rifle and a few small things.

1633290651940.png

1633290685045.png

1633290716872.png

1633290753315.png

1633290784535.png

I think that's what's on my other 09 but I didn't order it and that was almost 20 years ago, it has the oval forend. I want kinda a safari style stock for the 9.3
Their safari classic style may be just what you want.

l have a few Richards micro fit stocks
l would get another no worries at all
you do need to put in some work, mainly shaping, barrel channel, finishing ect...
but l found them very good to work with, l do have to learn to checker one day though
here is a ruger mk1 270wsm that l had finished fitting and shaping that was getting the action bedded

991E805B-722F-439B-A0ED-9CB224D7EA28.jpeg

and here it is when sighting in

D5A339D8-9B6A-490D-ABFA-2E53FA3ECC51.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
l have a few Richards micro fit stocks
l would get another no worries at all
you do need to put in some work, mainly shaping, barrel channel, finishing ect...
but l found them very good to work with, l do have to learn to checker one day though
here is a ruger mk1 270wsm that l had finished fitting and shaping that was getting the action bedded

View attachment 433979

and here it is when sighting in

View attachment 433978
could stimpple the wood, I did it on this Richards stock in my 7x57AI.

1635701676028.png

l like your stippling job Troy
l did look into it but was worried l would not do it right

l like your stippling job Troy
l did look into it but was worried l would not do it right
The hardest part is the outline, if you chose to use one. I just mostly free handed the out line, for longer runs and the round part of the grip I used tape to get a cleaner edge to trace. I used a small triangle file to cut the outline. I made the stimppler from a old round file, I anneled it and cut a random pattern in the face the hardend it.

once you get used to how hard to hit it's easy, you have to change the hits on different parts of the wood but you figure it out.

I just received a stock from Richards, it was ordered on December 8th and was supposed to arrive March 8, so slightly late as with everything now!!

It’s a #102 Old Classic, A Grade Claro and has a 90* Ebony tip and cap without spacer. This is inletted for a Pre-64, claimed to be 99% but have not installed an action yet. I also had them add an additional 1/2” to the comb.

Hopefully these pictures will be helpful to someone down the road!

View attachment 395588View attachment 395589View attachment 395590View attachment 395591View attachment 395592View attachment 395593
Any update on this this stock turned out?

Ditto! How did it turn out?

Here's mine. Old Savage 110 in 7mm Rem Mag that I rebarreled with a Shilen. Stock needed a little shaving down for the action, but nothing major.

20230817_132616.jpg
20230817_132606.jpg
20230817_132555.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's mine. Old Savage 110 in 7mm Rem Mag that I rebarreled with a Shilen. Stock needed a little shaving down for the action, but nothing major.
What grade and species was that?

@Cecil Hammonds your garage is disgustingly clean and uncluttered. Have you no shame?

Any update on this this stock turned out?

Never did anything much more with it. Once I realized how far from “Drop it” it really was, I lost interest!!! Perhaps I need to revisit that…

They are not junk. Head over to my 458 winchester project and youll see how they come out. I am not done checkering mine yet but, also I would say, If you are not able (tools/experience/knowhow) to do a little fine woodwork, I would stay away from them. They are definitely not a "drop-in" stock. It took about 20 hours worth of work using files, gouges, rasps and sandpaper to get mine ready to finish. Let alone the next 25 hours that will go into checkering the stock. Also, I got the "little bit of figure" stock and it has some nice figure in it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JudeWjg34

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross