Retirement and next chapter

I essentially had two 24/7 careers - once as a soldier and the other running a P&L center for a major defense corporation. 12 years ago I retired, and we purchased our place in Texas on the San Gabriel. Now my days are spent with a chainsaw, the tractor, or mowers tending the place and our pecans when not hunting or traveling or both. I stay busy, and I take none of it to bed with me at night.
 
I retired just over 5 years ago at the age of 61. It took me a couple of months to really accept that I wasn’t on temporary leave… but retired. Once I accepted that and stopped feeling guilty about not working I took to retirement like a duck to water.

I’ve got a mild training routine for 3 days a week. Plus I’ve got a year planner beside the laptop….and most importantly if a hunting or shooting opportunity comes along I just say “yes”…and then fit it into my schedule.

I’ve never been busier doing things that I enjoy.

I’m lucky to enjoy good health and fitness. And I intend to make full utilisation of that whilst I have it. Because I know that that won’t always be the case.

So congratulations on getting to this stage….make the most of it because it won’t last for ever.
 
@odonata That 4x5 camera is a well built unit. Back in the day I had a Graflex speed graphic 4x5. It has been years since i thought of that unit. thank you for brining back some fun memories.

Best of luck in your travels. May fair winds grace them.
 
I retired full time 20 years ago and semi retired 11 years ago. Cut, loaded, hauled and unloaded these donuts this morning. Forecast to be in the 60s next week so splitting on tap then. My father always said, if you don't use it, you lose it. For me, there aren't enough hours in the week. Pay attention to your health, eat right, get enough sleep and maintain regular PSP, eye and dentist visits. View attachment 796803
Yes Sir, my dad now no more was an active sportman, always kept himself busy. When he used to visit us, even with failing eyes and aches and pains he still used to push himself every evening for a walk. He is my idol.
Words of wisdon from you Sir! Thank you.
Whatt is PSP?
 
I consider myself very lucky in life. Left school at 16 to help my father’s diamond drilling business. Moved on to hydro line construction and attended night school which helped to land a job in a small electrical utility that turned into a 32 year career. I retired in 2017 as the Director of Operations at the age of 52.
The only advice I give on retirement is, if you can afford to, do it.
I am busier now than ever, hunting, fishing, trail riding (SxS and ATV), volunteering, etc. My wife and I split our time between Ontario and Arizona, we prefer to fish from a boat rather than through the ice.
Congratulations, you beat me by 6 years:cautious:
 
I essentially had two 24/7 careers - once as a soldier and the other running a P&L center for a major defense corporation. 12 years ago I retired, and we purchased our place in Texas on the San Gabriel. Now my days are spent with a chainsaw, the tractor, or mowers tending the place and our pecans when not hunting or traveling or both. I stay busy, and I take none of it to bed with me at night.
You had two careers where you were devoted 24X7, not easy and thank you for your service. You deserve to take nothing to bed at night.
 
Yes Sir, my dad now no more was an active sportman, always kept himself busy. When he used to visit us, even with failing eyes and aches and pains he still used to push himself every evening for a walk. He is my idol.
Words of wisdon from you Sir! Thank you.
Whatt is PSP?
Twypo, should have been PCP, primary care physician.
 
I retired just over 5 years ago at the age of 61. It took me a couple of months to really accept that I wasn’t on temporary leave… but retired. Once I accepted that and stopped feeling guilty about not working I took to retirement like a duck to water.

I’ve got a mild training routine for 3 days a week. Plus I’ve got a year planner beside the laptop….and most importantly if a hunting or shooting opportunity comes along I just say “yes”…and then fit it into my schedule.

I’ve never been busier doing things that I enjoy.

I’m lucky to enjoy good health and fitness. And I intend to make full utilisation of that whilst I have it. Because I know that that won’t always be the case.

So congratulations on getting to this stage….make the most of it because it won’t last for ever.
Thank you Sir, wish you best of health for the future. Enjoy the flexibility to go for a hunt whenever the opportunity arises, I plan on doing the same :)
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,291
Messages
1,571,896
Members
169,463
Latest member
DarrylTeno
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top