Retirement and next chapter

SStomcat

Silver supporter
AH elite
Joined
May 5, 2016
Messages
1,727
Reaction score
1,880
Articles
1
Hunting reports
Africa
1
Asia/M.East
1
I’m curious how others here are thinking about the next chapter of life.
I’m planning to semi-retire and, assuming everything stays on track, spend more of my time on the things I’ve always enjoyed but never seemed to have enough time for - hunting, shooting, travel, other personal interests, and most importantly, spending more time with family and the kids, I'm now a regular at all my sons football games.. I also plan to spend more time with extended family abroad.
After decades of work, I’m beginning to think that having the time to actually enjoy those things is worth as much if not more than what money can buy you.

For those who have retired, or are getting close to it, what are your plans?

Did retirement turn out the way you expected? Did you find yourself spending more time hunting and traveling, or did other interests take over?

And for those still working, what does your ideal retirement look like?

Just curious how others here are approaching that next chapter.Cheers
SS
 
I was forced into retirement in 2010 after losing both my son and my wife within ten months. Never really found a direction after that. Wish I'd been able to stay working a bit longer. Now I'd just be taking a job from someone who does have a family ... and I don't need the money.

Stay active, especially physically. Do a lot of push-outs ... from the dinner table. One thing you may find is more socializing = more inclination to eat and drink with company. I switched to diet pop and the occasional (actually rare) light beer. Meat and vegetables cost more but worth it. Be careful with fatty stuff and high carbs. Also stay active mentally. Pick up some hobbies and stick with them. Again, it may involve spending $$$ but mental health is priceless.

Good luck.
 
I was forced into retirement in 2010 after losing both my son and my wife within ten months. Never really found a direction after that. Wish I'd been able to stay working a bit longer. Now I'd just be taking a job from someone who does have a family ... and I don't need the money.

Stay active, especially physically. Do a lot of push-outs ... from the dinner table. One thing you may find is more socializing = more inclination to eat and drink with company. I switched to diet pop and the occasional (actually rare) light beer. Meat and vegetables cost more but worth it. Be careful with fatty stuff and high carbs. Also stay active mentally. Pick up some hobbies and stick with them. Again, it may involve spending $$$ but mental health is priceless.

Good luck.
Good thoughts Ontario Hunter.
Sorry to know about your loss. It is indeed hard to come out of such devastating losses in such a short period of time.
I’m happy that you have found a way out, financially stable and have high moral values.

I’m lucky to be able to retire or semi retire at 58. I’m perhaps in one of the best shape of my life. Had a wake up call five years back, that forced me to make changes to my lifestyle, cut down on fried stuff and sweets.
I try to eat in moderation and exercise regularly.
Other than some tiffs with my wife occasionally I’m mentally away from the highly demanding and stressful job I was in.
Time will tell, hunting is in my blood and the blood still flows
 
Congratulations on your pending retirement! Everyone I know that has retired and is living a rewarding productive life all have one thing in common: they never stop! Whether they retired from a traditional 40 hr workweek type of job, they keep going, finding something they enjoy doing and they don’t stop until they drop!

This could be working and maintaining their property (like me), working part time, volunteer work, always doing something productive, staying active not just physically but mentally. It could have been a big shock to me, retiring from a demanding LE career, previously being the incident commander or tactical commander on various operations/critical incidents making life and death decisions to retiring and the biggest problems were deciding on whether to change brands of dog food or digging up and replacing a broken frost free hydrant on our property!

But I focused on maintaining our properties, clearing brush, cutting wood, etc. which kept (keeps) me busy. This gave me focus and purpose. I also seem to have a rescue operation for dogs thanks to my wife so that keeps me very busy as well!

Now it’s more imperative than ever to maintain a healthy lifestyle, stay fit, keep the weight off, healthy diet and don’t be sedentary, so you can enjoy the fruits of your labor and family. Plus African hunting adventures!

Oh and finally, the older I get, I realize time is the most important commodity, more valuable than anything. Maintaining good relations with my family and no waiting for tomorrow, the time is now so make the best of it!
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,276
Messages
1,571,441
Members
169,357
Latest member
trailrivet
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top