Remington 798 375 H&H

The Remington 798 - AKA: "Zustava Mauser" in .375 H&H has a fairly good reputation.

The Remington 798 - AKA: "Zustava Mauser" in .375 H&H has a fairly good reputation.
Yeah, the ZASTAVA Mauser does have a good rep, almost as good as the Zustava!:D:ROFLMAO:

Zastavas are tough actions but a little rough as previously mentioned as are CZs, A trip to a good Smith can smoothen it out as well a float the barrel if you are not comfortable doing it ( it's EZ)

I had hoped Remington would have done that when they put the gun together! I cleaned out all of that crud the put on new guns and I have been dry firing it. Definitely clunky but I actually like the robustness of it. I am surprised that I am actually steadier with the heavier gun than my A Bolt. Got some 270 grain federals and I am chomping at the bit to try her out! I have never fired a gun of this caliber before so it will be a learning experience I am sure!

I had hoped Remington would have done that when they put the gun together! I cleaned out all of that crud the put on new guns and I have been dry firing it. Definitely clunky but I actually like the robustness of it. I am surprised that I am actually steadier with the heavier gun than my A Bolt. Got some 270 grain federals and I am chomping at the bit to try her out! I have never fired a gun of this caliber before so it will be a learning experience I am sure!

Gateway to the big bores!

Enjoy!!! :)

Heavy guns, always shoot more accurate for me. The easy answer is there is less swaying because it's heavy...lol

Hi Pheroze,

You will experience approximately twice the felt recoil of a typical .30-06 sporter / 180 to 22o gr bullet.
Therefore, I predict that you will find the .375 H&H recoil to be tolerable.
My shoulder turns blue from too much recoil but, the .375 in a proper weight rifle and with today's modern recoil pad, like the Decelerator and others, leaves me with no problem firing the .375 H&H at factory velocity.

That being said, I have found that it's even more pleasant to shoot at 2400 fps (300 gr bullet) and it still puts animals down as fast as one could ask for with a properly placed .37 caliber bullet.
After having to have a Merkel double rifle with one barrel showing very high pressure, re-regulated to that load and also reading Dr Robertson's preference for that load, (prior to 350 to 380 grainers becoming widely available) for his clients hunting buffaloes, I now use it in my bolt action as well.

Incidentally, it is the same load that H&H once used to regulate their very expensive doubles for, in .375 H&H Flanged (now they just make their doubles in .375 H&H to fit the belted rimless, same as the bolt actions).

Well anyway, you will enjoy your Mauser in .375 H&H - Blah, blah, blah,
Velo Duck.

Last edited:
I agree with Velo Dog, in a standard weight magnum action rifle (around 9+ pounds) the 375 H&H delivers about twice the recoil of a 30-06. you will likely find it to be very manageable (as most do) and that rifle should prove fairly accurate. I wouldn't concern yourself too much with the barrel being fully floated. it shouldn't make a huge difference at the ranges you typically use this cartridge. of course if it really bothers you, it shouldn't cost much to have a gun smith perform a trigger job, action bedding, and float your barrel (normal work on inexpensive rifles). also keep in mind that CZ Safari rifles shoot pretty good and aren't free floated at all.

-matt

I agree with Velo Dog, in a standard weight magnum action rifle (around 9+ pounds) the 375 H&H delivers about twice the recoil of a 30-06. you will likely find it to be very manageable (as most do) and that rifle should prove fairly accurate. I wouldn't concern yourself too much with the barrel being fully floated. it shouldn't make a huge difference at the ranges you typically use this cartridge. of course if it really bothers you, it shouldn't cost much to have a gun smith perform a trigger job, action bedding, and float your barrel (normal work on inexpensive rifles). also keep in mind that CZ Safari rifles shoot pretty good and aren't free floated at all.

-matt

+1 with Matt85 on free floating probably not being worth fooling with on your new rifle.

Back in my ground squirrel shooting days, my experiences brought me to the conclusion that free floating rifle barrels made little to no difference on rifles with normal weight barrel contour and also, little to no difference for rifles chambered in rather low intensity cartridges.

Extreme light weight barrel contours, such as all these "ultra light mountain rifle" type designs, that are also chambered for high intensity cartridges like the 6.5-06, .270 Weatherby, 7 mm Remington magnum and similar, are the rifles most likely to benefit from free floating the barrel.
A standard weight barrel .375 H&H is very unlikely to benefit much, if at all from free floating it.

However, regarding resistance against cracking the stock in recoil, it might not hurt to have a Gunsmith glass bed around the action for strength.
Otherwise, as others have suggested, just shoot it before you start messing around with accuracy improvement modifications.
Very likely you will discover it already shoots well.

You can find comfort in the fact that a Mauser in .375 H&H is IMO, the best hunting rifle ever devised.
(And if Velo Dog said it in some computer forum, it must be true, guldangit).

Cheers,
El Doggerino, if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

Well I have to say the recoil was not at all what I had thought it would be. It was an assertive shove not a sharp jab. The gun itself seems accurate considering that I am not that experienced with the iron sights. Once I got it on paper (lol) it was consistently few inches high and to the right. I really cannot judge the groups because I have to allow for operator error today for sure. Also, the leaf sight does not allow for windage only elevation -.-

I am really surprised to say that I think I enjoy it more than the '06 ABolt! I am not sure what it is about the gun but it was just enjoyable to shoot.

Awesome!

Many people, myself included, say the same thing about the .375 being enjoyable to shoot. To me it is the whole push vs. jab thing just like you say. I'm with you, off the bench my 06 is more noticable than the .375 is.

Keep shooting and you'll get better quickly. Are you sure there isn't windage adjustment? Might need a brass punch and a hammer, but are you sure it isn't there? Nice to know those iron sights are accurate before you put the scope on....

Awesome!

Many people, myself included, say the same thing about the .375 being enjoyable to shoot. To me it is the whole push vs. jab thing just like you say. I'm with you, off the bench my 06 is more noticable than the .375 is.

Keep shooting and you'll get better quickly. Are you sure there isn't windage adjustment? Might need a brass punch and a hammer, but are you sure it isn't there? Nice to know those iron sights are accurate before you put the scope on....

I will look again at the rear sight. I went into my daughter's makeup kit and stole a fuchsia nail polish that I want to apply to the front sight. I found it really hard to make it out properly :D. Maybe the glitter red would be better?

I will look again at the rear sight. I went into my daughter's makeup kit and stole a fuchsia nail polish that I want to apply to the front sight. I found it really hard to make it out properly :D. Maybe the glitter red would be better?

I'm thinking definitely the glitter, especially in low light! ;)

In all seriousness, I'm color blind and have found that whiteand yellow are the only front sight colors I can pick up really quickly.

You should have some adjustment on that rear sight. You may even have windage on your front sight. Sometime its nice to get your zero with the front when possible leaving more range on your rear. Ideally both sights are fairly well centered but that's often not the case. Keep shooting!

I took another look at the sights: the rear is set in a dove tail with a clear method for elevation. The front sight, which is under a shroud, is also attached with a dove tail, but seems to protrude to the right. I believe it is set up to be moved laterally. It would appear that I have to knock the shroud off to access it. I am shooting to the right so I would have to push the front sight further to the right to move the point of aim to the left.

I painted the front bead with a white enamel paint so I will take her out again and see how I do before I start whacking at the sights!

Thanks guys

I painted the front bead with a white enamel paint so I will take her out again and see how I do before I start whacking at the sights!

good idea.

glad to hear you like the rifle, once you get it figured out we can move you to something bigger. something like a 450/400 NE 3" or even a 416 of some sort.

-matt

And different loads will shoot to a different POI as well.

I absolutely love the idea of a 450/400, probably because my father has spoken to me about them.

I wish I could get factory loaded 235 grain in addition to the 270 and 300 just to see how it changes POI. !

ive had great luck with Hornady 225gr spire pounts over 71gr of H4895 out of my CZ 550 375 H&H.

-matt

I am limited to factory ammo for now :( and, the local shops have only a limited supply of 375. There is incentive to start loading my own!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AshleyOyi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg