Remington 405 grain jacketed soft point

Quaticman

AH veteran
Joined
Feb 20, 2018
Messages
178
Reaction score
441
Location
Kitchener
Media
26
Hunted
Namibia
Remington B22899 45-70 405 gr SP Bullets.jpg


Has anyone tried these in a .458 Win Mag? I have used them in my 1895 Marlin chambered .45/70 with a healthy dose of IMR 3031. Seems like they would make for an inexpensive "plinking load" in the Win Mag.
 
View attachment 318350

Has anyone tried these in a .458 Win Mag? I have used them in my 1895 Marlin chambered .45/70 with a healthy dose of IMR 3031. Seems like they would make for an inexpensive "plinking load" in the Win Mag.
Nope. But I’ll try almost anything once. I don’t see why they wouldn’t work for a plinking round? I have some Speer 350gr Hot Cores I’m loading now, but if the price was right for those bullets I’d try them?
 
If you guys like a plinking load you should try 15 grains of trail boss behind a 405 grain lead bullet. It goes off like a pop gun.
Will it clear the barrel? Ha! Ha!
 
full power loads would be like varmint bullets.
bruce.
Speaking of varmint loads for the .458 WM, I’ve seen “frangible” bullets available on Midway USA in .458. Can you imagine hitting a prairie dog mound with one of those bullets?
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,430
Messages
1,575,986
Members
170,498
Latest member
MarilouToo
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Hornedfrogbbq wrote on Rhoyland4's profile.
Do you mind me asking what auction you are referencing? I'm not in the market for any of those rifles...just curious.

Frosty in Fort Worth
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
 
Top