Reloder 17 Data for .375H&H

ChrisG

AH elite
Joined
Jan 6, 2015
Messages
1,592
Reaction score
3,039
Location
Adirondack Park, NY, USA
Media
45
Articles
2
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
3
Member of
NAHC, NRA, Rocky Mtn. Elk Foundation.
Hunted
USA, Canada
Hi All,

There seems to be some people out there on the web looking for reloading data for this powder. So I took it upon myself to email Alliant, and it turns out that they actually HAVE done some testing with it in this caliber. I assume the data would also work for .375 Ruger, albeit, slightly lower pressure and velocity for the same bullet and powder weight. I started 10% under these charges and stopped short of them. There really is no need in the .375 to push it to it's max, but as you can see, the numbers are pretty good. Here it is, straight from the horses mouth:

Christopher,

Below is the load data that I have for the 375 H&H cartridge using Alliant Reloder 17 propellant:

Powder Bullet Brand Weight OAL Primer Brass Status Charge wt (gr) Velocity (ft/sec)

Reloder 17 Nosler 260gr Accubond3.580 215 Fed 81.5 2711
Reloder 17 Hornady 270gr JSP 3.580 215 Fed 85.0 2826
Reloder 17 Hornady 300gr JSP 3.580 215 Fed 81.8 2685
Reloder 17 Nosler 300gr Partition 3.560 215 Fed 83.0 2687

Hope this is of assistance.
Thanks,
Shoot Straight
DuaneVB
CCI/SPEER/ALLIANT POWDER
2299 Snake River Ave.
Lewiston, ID


I loaded up some 270 grain blems from Midway as well as 270 grain interlocks and 300 grain SGKs and my Chronograph showed astoundingly high velocity for the charges I put in. The Sierra Game King with 75.0 Grains of RL17 put out almost 2600fps so I stopped there even though the primers were barely flattened and there were no signs of pressure at all. I don't need a 300 grainer going faster than that. I pushed the 270, starting at 72 grains all the up to 80. The last few loads had substantially more recoil and when I chronographed them they were running about 2780fps from a winchester Model 70 with a 24" barrel.

Just thought I would pass this along for those interested in this powder. The groups I shot measured on average, about 1-1/4" - 1-1/2" at 100 yards. That is plenty good for anything I plan to hunting with it. I use strictly Alliant powders because they are mostly available where I live, they are great, and $3 or $4 cheaper per pound than Hodgdon and significantly cheaper than Vihtavuori powder. Hope someone finds this helpful!
 
Information like this will no doubt help someone or at least get their attention.
 
Altho I'm happy with the performance that 77gs of Win760 gets me with the 300g bullets, with the addition of a 404 to my collection I'm backing down my 375 to 260s so this is welcome information, Thanks
 
Good info. Thats what I was using for my 270 grainers before moving down to the 250gr TTSX and finding H4895.

This is sure to give people a good starting point for their own loads with R17. Thanks for sharing.
 
Hi All,

There seems to be some people out there on the web looking for reloading data for this powder. So I took it upon myself to email Alliant, and it turns out that they actually HAVE done some testing with it in this caliber. I assume the data would also work for .375 Ruger, albeit, slightly lower pressure and velocity for the same bullet and powder weight. I started 10% under these charges and stopped short of them. There really is no need in the .375 to push it to it's max, but as you can see, the numbers are pretty good. Here it is, straight from the horses mouth:

Christopher,

Below is the load data that I have for the 375 H&H cartridge using Alliant Reloder 17 propellant:

Powder Bullet Brand Weight OAL Primer Brass Status Charge wt (gr) Velocity (ft/sec)

Reloder 17 Nosler 260gr Accubond3.580 215 Fed 81.5 2711
Reloder 17 Hornady 270gr JSP 3.580 215 Fed 85.0 2826
Reloder 17 Hornady 300gr JSP 3.580 215 Fed 81.8 2685
Reloder 17 Nosler 300gr Partition 3.560 215 Fed 83.0 2687

Hope this is of assistance.
Thanks,
Shoot Straight
DuaneVB
CCI/SPEER/ALLIANT POWDER
2299 Snake River Ave.
Lewiston, ID


I loaded up some 270 grain blems from Midway as well as 270 grain interlocks and 300 grain SGKs and my Chronograph showed astoundingly high velocity for the charges I put in. The Sierra Game King with 75.0 Grains of RL17 put out almost 2600fps so I stopped there even though the primers were barely flattened and there were no signs of pressure at all. I don't need a 300 grainer going faster than that. I pushed the 270, starting at 72 grains all the up to 80. The last few loads had substantially more recoil and when I chronographed them they were running about 2780fps from a winchester Model 70 with a 24" barrel.

Just thought I would pass this along for those interested in this powder. The groups I shot measured on average, about 1-1/4" - 1-1/2" at 100 yards. That is plenty good for anything I plan to hunting with it. I use strictly Alliant powders because they are mostly available where I live, they are great, and $3 or $4 cheaper per pound than Hodgdon and significantly cheaper than Vihtavuori powder. Hope someone finds this helpful!
Thank you.
 
FYI,
Using a Chrony Beta Master I found by accident when the sun was in the position to shine past the defuser into the eye it would add up to 200 fps to the reading. When I went back and scrutinized my range data I found some I thought were top fps were with near starting charge weights and some previously established were suddenly providing Weatherby ballistics. It can't be both.
Chrony people said I could use paper etc to widen the defuser to stop that.
If something doesn't add up there is probably a reason.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,272
Messages
1,571,216
Members
169,274
Latest member
VilmaKorne
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt Meister
480-410-1594
azklmsr462@gmail.com

have a great evening
autofire wrote on ThinAirHunter's profile.
I think forum prohibits making reference or giving personal references to PH/Outfitters that don't advertise on this forum.

But you can call me. I would be happy to discuss Cape Buffalo .

Bob 813-310-6992
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
 
Top