Reloder 15.5

1peggy

AH veteran
Joined
Jan 21, 2011
Messages
145
Reaction score
207
Location
Wytheville, VA
Media
5
Hunting reports
Africa
2
Member of
NSSA, NRA Life I
Hunted
Spain, Germany, Zimbabwe, Zambia
Does anyone have experience loading RL 15.5 in 470 Nitro or 375 H&H? Just wondering if it reduces recoil like RL 15 in the 470 and if it is more temperature stable. Thanks
 
I do. I started with IMR3031 before moving to RL 15.5. The recoil was very similar to me. Now RL 15.5 is the only powder I use in my 470 NE. Real or not which many debate, I decided to make the switch due to 15.5 to be much better for high temperatures. For comparison try using a powder like 4831 SC. You will learn a major key in felt recoil has more to do with amount of powder needed for a desired FPS. For my 470 it shoots the best at 2050 FPS. Using RL 15.5 that is about 82 grains. To get the same FPS that requires 112 grains of 4831. The recoil with the 112 grains was night and day higher than either the IMR3031 or RL 15.5
 
Absolutely. i use #2’s from Trader Keith. i want exactness in everything i do when it comes to reloading. you will find many which is fine cut their own fillers…just not me. yes they are more expensive but when i am hunting buffalo i want as perfect as possible. you can look them up on their web site
 
I concur that a big load of 4831 in the 470 gets your attention, haven't tried the RL 15 yet, I should as I am getting older lol.
 
Here is a fun site to play with fill in the blanks and see the difference in recoil as the volume of powder goes up...
When I was working up loads for my 505 Gibbs I used this recoil calculator 107grs of RL 15 vs 150grs of MRP is close to 30ft lbs difference

 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,274
Messages
1,571,285
Members
169,331
Latest member
VallieY16
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
 
Top