Reloading The 35 Whelen With Power Pro Varmint

@jwp475
The speer and Partitions will take the same load. With the Interlock back off 2 grains and work up
The 225gn accubond I worked up to 64gn of CFE223 for 2,850 odd fps usual loading caution applies.
Bob
CFE223 sits happily between Varget and H4350

Bob I was in the 2700 FPS range with 64 grains behind the 225 Accubond with CFE223 and my 28" barrel. Just goes to show the differences in rifles

A couple years ago, I was using PP Varmint and the Barnes 180 with plastic tip. I was getting in the 3100s with that load. That's 300 Winchester velocity, albeit with a poorer BC and SD. Couldn't ever get that Whelen to shoot better than about 2-3 MOA.

@jwp475 I was doing some reading on the 480Ruger and came across a 15 year old thread on shooters forum about how it's a dying cartridge. Saw a comment from you on that thread and connected to recent chatter on here about Whelen.

A couple years ago, I was using PP Varmint and the Barnes 180 with plastic tip. I was getting in the 3100s with that load. That's 300 Winchester velocity, albeit with a poorer BC and SD. Couldn't ever get that Whelen to shoot better than about 2-3 MOA.

@jwp475 I was doing some reading on the 480Ruger and came across a 15 year old thread on shooters forum about how it's a dying cartridge. Saw a comment from you on that thread and connected to recent chatter on here about Whelen.

I shot the first bear and moose ever shit with the 475 Linebaugh way back in 1988. We were making our own cases out of shortened 45-70 cases and casting our own bullets. Now you can buy factory loads for the 475L. The 480 is just a slightly shortened 475L. The 480 is a good cartridge

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomasS111

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!