Dr Ray

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association of Australia + CRM Gunsports (Cairns)
Woodleigh Bullet manufacturer has sent me some 450 grain weldcore Bullets to field test.
I did find some reloading data using R17 but alas, I cannot find the reloading manual,
Could someone please advise reloading data?
Apparently there have been some issues with these 450 grain Woodleigh Bullets so I’m the guinea pig to test.
Would appreciate some help.

Woodleigh Bullet manufacturer has sent me some 450 grain weldcore Bullets to field test.
I did find some reloading data using R17 but alas, I cannot find the reloading manual,
Could someone please advise reloading data?
Apparently there have been some issues with these 450 grain Woodleigh Bullets so I’m the guinea pig to test.
Would appreciate some help.
You don't have a Woodleigh manual or you just lost it? That is sacrilege!

upload_2020-7-6_20-25-17.png

I filed it in a safe place

I shot a number of buffalo for Geoff with the 450 gr. PP and SN, maybe the same in solids best I recall...He had Huntington send them to me and much appreciated I might add..I wanted the round nose 450 for the 404 and 416 and 350 for the .375. he felt the pp was the better of the two and after using both a good deal, he was correct as one would expect him being in the bullet business much longer than I...but he gave us both.. and both I like. the RN in herd hunting and normally no exit to wound or kill another animal..Use the PP for the Dagga boys that go off in pairs or threes and over penetration is not a problem....as to solids the 400 gr. is fine and all that's need IMO..

I cannot imagine any issue with the 450 gr. pp or RN...The PP out penetrates the RN as by design, so as to hunt herds with the RN and Dagga boys with the PP.. Turned out to be my all time favorite bullet and indeed killed my largest buffalo and largest elk with those bullets.. My load after much testing was 75 grs. of RL-15, the best powder I found for the .416, but RL-17 has promise with anything that works with the RL-15 and gets you a bit more velocity that's unneeded...Some of my hunting was with the 450 at 2400 FPS and it worked in one gun but not in the other, so I backed off to 2300 FPS and all in all liked it so well that I shot that in both rifles...Going back about 10 or 15 years when Geoff and I discussed the flat nose and extra heavy bullets for the big bores..and I field tested them for him...

ray you raise an interesting point comparing re15 to re 17.
at the same velocity, re 17 will run less pressure, being slower burning.
if you don't want more velocity than re 15 gives, re17 would have a pressure advantage for that same speed.
bruce.

Bruce,
Im sure that's right, but the difference in pressure and velocity for that matter is of no importance to me...I got 100 fps more with RL-17 than with Rl_15 and no sign of pressure with either powder, max loads in my gun, then cutting back 2 grs....My choice for RL-15 is based solely on the fact that I have had about 1000 or more rounds already loaded up for several years now, so RL-17 considering my age is likely to never be of interest..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoanRigby4

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you