Reloading 8mm Mauser J bore (.318)

Tailypo

Reaction score
I recently picked up a Haenel Suhl Gewehr 88 factory Sporter. I slugged the bore and the barrel measures .307 and .320 on the lands and grooves. This leads me to believe it is chamberd for the early J (or I in German) version of 8mm Mauser with the .318 diameter projectiles. My question is would I be correct in loading a .318 diameter bullet and do I need specific dies for the early J bore ammo or will regular 8mm Mauser dies and brass work. ( both of which I have on hand already) Does anyone know of any reloading manual available that would have loading data for the early J bore spec?

I'm in the same situation. I purchased a pre WW1 Oberndorf Mauser that Mark at NECG chamber cast for me to determine the bore diameter, .318
Mark and I were discussing a barrel swap when I found a used set of RCBS dies 8x57 .318 on Guns International. The barrel swap has been cancelled and I'm now attempting to load ammo for it. I've full length sized new brass, reducing the neck from the .323 to the .318. Finding bullets has been a chore, however I did source them in Germany.

I'm in the same situation. I purchased a pre WW1 Oberndorf Mauser that Mark at NECG chamber cast for me to determine the bore diameter, .318
Mark and I were discussing a barrel swap when I found a used set of RCBS dies 8x57 .318 on Guns International. The barrel swap has been cancelled and I'm now attempting to load ammo for it. I've full length sized new brass, reducing the neck from the .323 to the .318. Finding bullets has been a chore, however I did source them in Germany.
From what I have seen, Buffalo Arms, Fox, Hammer and Hawk are companies that currently produce .318 diameter bullets. I guess I do need to find dies for the .318 diameter and cant get away with using .323 dies. Ill have to start looking. Do you remember what your barrel cast measurement was??

Most any usa loading manuals should be safe to use just start low, for bullets hawk makes some nice 318 bullets for a fair price. Maybe worth trying some 32 special bullets there 321 and are a softer jacket. I've even paper patched 308 bullets before and have shot some pretty good groups.

I was given a 8mm jp Sauer barrel about 5 or 6 years ago, I must have been on a small ring but was set back for some reason. It was to nice of a barrel to scrape so I fit it on a 1891 argentine sporter I had, still haven't really did much with it some day I'll finish it and get it out shooting.

Pictures aren't the best, I aged the stock to kinda make it look like it was done 100 years ago.

upload_2022-5-17_0-14-52.png
upload_2022-5-17_0-14-32.png
upload_2022-5-17_0-13-4.png
upload_2022-5-16_20-12-52.png

From what I have seen, Buffalo Arms, Fox, Hammer and Hawk are companies that currently produce .318 diameter bullets. I guess I do need to find dies for the .318 diameter and cant get away with using .323 dies. Ill have to start looking. Do you remember what your barrel cast measurement was??
You can spin the expander for the die in some sand paper and finish with 1000 grit or finer, won't take long.

You can spin the expander for the die in some sand paper and finish with 1000 grit or finer, won't take long.
I may consider getting another expander since I have another 8mm that is the standard .323.
0D847C38-1266-4E85-BDB9-25BE12146F0D.jpeg
Here are the 2 I picked up
One is a Gewehr 88 by Haenel and Suhl the other I believe to be an original Mauser Sporter.

I don't remember the actual measurements. I can tell you that the RCBS part number is 56658 for the full length die set, 8mmX57J .318
I was unable to find any bullets instock and available, however I bought some Fox copper and S&B cup and core from GrauWolf in Germany. Shipping is a challenge.
It seems that all published load data is for "JS" ammo, the only specific .318 data I can find is on Ammo Guide. The Ammo Guide loads are for the Gew Commission rifle.

I don't remember the actual measurements. I can tell you that the RCBS part number is 56658 for the full length die set, 8mmX57J .318
I was unable to find any bullets instock and available, however I bought some Fox copper and S&B cup and core from GrauWolf in Germany. Shipping is a challenge.
It seems that all published load data is for "JS" ammo, the only specific .318 data I can find is on Ammo Guide. The Ammo Guide loads are for the Gew Commission rifle.
Thanks for the RCBS number ill have to order some. BuffaloArms currently has .318 diameter bullets in stock on their site.

01A85495-C37D-4B75-9AC9-999F1173CDB3.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaida88net

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.