Reloader 16

Backyardsniper

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I had posted on here a bit ago asking about RL16 in the 375H&H. There doesn't seem to be a lot of load data out there so I decided to start doing a little experimenting. From what info I can gather it is almost identical in burn rate to H4350. It is supposed to be very temp stable. It is slightly less dense than H4350 though. I checked some quick load data and decided.to give it a try in my 460 wby. It sits right next to H4350 on the chart so I started with just a couple grains under a starting load for 4350 and loaded up a round. I fired one test round at this level. Recoil seemed about right, bolt lift was normal and the edges of the primer were still rounded. I will get it to the range soon and also over a chronograph then I will try it in the 375H&H. I believe it has a lot of promise in the 375 but we shall see. I will keep you posted.

I’ve yet to try it in anything but four 6.5 creedmoor rifles I have owned. It is my favorite powder, and completely replaced H4350 in that cartridge for me. Which I know we are talking about considerably different cartridges, but grain for grain RL16 has always given me a good bit more velocity than H4350. Let me find my recorded temp chart and I will post it.

Here is my recorded temp stability with RL16 so far.
IMG_1426.png

I saw a test a guy ran on another forum where it shows a bit more velocity and also showed it was quite temp stable. Seems like a really solid powder. I originally bought it for my 7 SAW and figured since I have a bunch of it I might as well try it in a few different cartridges

I’ve yet to try it in anything but four 6.5 creedmoor rifles I have owned. It is my favorite powder, and completely replaced H4350 in that cartridge for me. Which I know we are talking about considerably different cartridges, but grain for grain RL16 has always given me a good bit more velocity than H4350. Let me find my recorded temp chart and I will post it.
@Cleveland48
You are doing what I did with hogdon superformance as it had very few loads listed for it and those listed were with light or medium weight projectiles. I found this strange as it is slower than H4831SC and Re22.
It is my go to powder in my 25.
Bob

@Cleveland48
You are doing what I did with hogdon superformance as it had very few loads listed for it and those listed were with light or medium weight projectiles. I found this strange as it is slower than H4831SC and Re22.
It is my go to powder in my 25.
Bob

I have had a Quick load ran for RL16 in the 9.3x62 with 250 gr bullets. It looks very promising, I will have to try it out. Seems like it would also work very well with the 30/06 family of cases. Interested in seeing what it does with the 30/06, 35 Whelen, 338/06 I would expect it do really well. But that’s just a guess on my part.

After seeing everyone’s results with RL 17 in the 9.3x62, has made me really wanna try RL16 in mine.
I think that due to the decrease in density versus RL17, you can’t get enough RL16 in the 9.3x62 to get top speeds. I tried it but would have to look at my notes. As I remember it was a 2-3gr difference when the case was fully loaded. I never shot a round with RL16 though just volumetric comparisons.

It is supposed to be really good in the 30/06. I have a new 30/06 on the way right now, Sako 85 Arctos. It should be here next week. I plan to start testing it as soon as it gets here and I'll keep y'all in the loop on how it goes. I'm gonna do more testing with the 375H&H and also the 460 weatherby and I will let you all know how it goes.

I think that due to the decrease in density versus RL17, you can’t get enough RL16 in the 9.3x62 to get top speeds. I tried it but would have to look at my notes. As I remember it was a 2-3gr difference when the case was fully loaded. I never shot a round with RL16 though just volumetric comparisons.

Yeah the volume was concerning to me. I have a very long magazine, so hopefully that will offset some of the issues by seating the bullets out a good bit farther.

I tried R16 in the very similar 9.3x66/370 SAKO and found that with the case filled to the neck a 286 Nosler Partition reached 2415 fps with good accuracy. I would expect a similar result in the 9.3x62 since it has only 4% less case volume. With the 285 gn Lapua Mega the same load reached 2470 to 2500 fps with excellent accuracy.

In a crude attempt at density comparison I filled a case with different powders in the 4350 range using a drop tube and was able to fit in the following number of grains:
R16 91.4
IMR4451 93.9
IMR4350 95.0
H 4350 96.1
R17 99.2
Hunter 101.7
N550 102.9

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JennyJuan9

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?