Reloader 15

Just made my first purchase with Powder Valley last night. They had H4350 in stock, one pound jars only. I ordered 5 and once the shipping, tax, etc was added it worked out to $60 per pound.
About what I'm seeing locally price wise. Place two counties over wants $54 per pound for H4350.

With hazmat and shipping $60 isn't too bad nowadays. Oh for the days of $20 a pound powder and primers by the truckload....

Matt

In the old FWIW column

I pulled all of my reloading manuals that I have in print, looked at what powders were used across Barnes #4, Nosler #8, Speer #14, and Hornady #9 for the 300 grain 375 Holland & Holland Magnum bullets that were listed. I then compared this information to my on hand inventory, as well as consulted a very well respected member here on AH offline of the forums.

Further I then discussed what was being used powder wise for 300 grain bullets with the chief gunsmith / rifle tester / ammunition loading lead at the shop that is building my first 375 H&H, Parkwest Arms. I should say that I have a degree of experience working with other well regarded builders for other platforms that I have had built, in several different calibers, with respect to initial loads and reloading for accuracy at distance.

At the end of all of these fun and games, Varget percolated up. And as it turns out, Parkwest will be using two powders when finishing up, testing, and sighting in my build: RL-15 and Varget. However, It's only found in one of the four manuals I consulted, Hornady #9. As I am sure most are aware, Varget is a highly regarded powder for other cartridges.

Consulting this burn rate chart, RL-15 (105) and Varget (108) are close to one another -

https://imrpowder.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/2020-burn-rate-chart.pdf

Not trying to "sell" anyone on Varget per se, but it's in my inventory. Perhaps running a similar compare / contrast exercise against your inventory would be helpful? And I am certainly not trying to invent a new AND improved load for the 375, just looking at viable alternatives. Varget may very well work for me due to inventory, and dumb luck has me stumbling across a powder used by my gunsmith. Once my SD-76 is complete, I’ll share the details of my load development.

And I’d be remiss if I didn’t add that all the standard, non-standard, applicable, asterisked, footnoted blah blah blah disclaimers apply – work loads up from published and reputable reloading resources. I also use QuickLoad for all my reloading work.

Lastly, I are engineer (ha!), and this was all highly unscientific up to this point. :)

Matt

Attachments

• 2020-burn-rate-chart.pdf
    417.7 KB · Views: 35
I’ve never liked varget-it seems to underperform what the manuals say it will do for me.
I love rl-15 and have had great success with it as well as Norma powders in the .375. I just found several one pounders of 15.5 I am excited to try and see if it can live up to its billing.

Firebird:

Guess it depends on the cartridge, great performance in 308. Hodgdon even lists 375 H&H specifically in their information -

Worth a try for me due to reasons noted in previous post. RL-15 definitely outstanding. Will be interested to see how 15.5 pans out.

Matt

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-03-11 at 8.24.31 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-11 at 8.24.31 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 64
  • Screen Shot 2023-03-11 at 8.24.33 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-11 at 8.24.33 AM.png
    658.7 KB · Views: 64
There is plenty on Gun Broker if you want it bad enough.
I had to go that route to find some Reloder 22. You’re right, you need and want it real bad! I did.

Big Game is an interesting read on Hodgdon's website. Spherical powder, great for metering.

Reloading data can be sorted at bottom of the linked page above. Max load nets you 2,575 fps @ 57.8 ksi with a 300 gr. Barnes TS FB. Definitley going to give this a thorough once over twice kinda look-see.

Any others using Ramshot Big Game?

Matt

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-03-26 at 6.30.13 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-26 at 6.30.13 AM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 37
Big Game is an interesting read on Hodgdon's website. Spherical powder, great for metering.

Reloading data can be sorted at bottom of the linked page above. Max load nets you 2,575 fps @ 57.8 ksi with a 300 gr. Barnes TS FB. Definitley going to give this a thorough once over twice kinda look-see.

Matt
I have an 8# jug of it - for certain calibers it's as good as it gets.

Even more compelling pricing here -

Matt

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-03-26 at 6.31.12 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-26 at 6.31.12 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 48
I am trying to watch the internet for Reloader 15. If someone gets a lead on some please let me know. I would like to get 5 pound keg if possible. Thanks in advance.
I have been waiting and watching for reloader 17 forever

Matt
I'm working up a modest load for the 9.3mm of a 300 gr. A-Frame @ 2,300 fps MV. I have a RL-15 load completed, and next is working up in parallel RL-17 and Big Game loads.

I worked up some loads in my 7x57 w/ 160 gr Swift A Frames and Ramshot Big Game (because I had it available). 43.5 grs gave me 2500 fps with single digit SD and ES.

BTW guys, Reloder does not have an "a" in it. It's a common mistake because the typo version with the "a" looks correct and the correct version without the "a" looks like a typo.

1679707872836.png

Last edited:
Powder Valley had some last week. 1 pounders — I think 5 worked up to a bit over $60/lb
Make sure that you order from Powder Valley not Powders Valley. Powders Valley has a site that looks exactly like Powder Valley and has everything in stock. they require you to use PayPal before shipping. It is a scam. They do not exist. I have
Powder Valley has sent more than one shipment to my house over the years!

Matt
Be sure to order from Powder Valley not Powders Valley. Powder Valley is legit. Powders Valley isn't. Powders Valley has everything in stock and as soon as you send them their money via PayPal they tell you they will send it. They don't exist. I was a fool and I paid $150 to learn.

Firebird:

Guess it depends on the cartridge, great performance in 308. Hodgdon even lists 375 H&H specifically in their information -

Worth a try for me due to reasons noted in previous post. RL-15 definitely outstanding. Will be interested to see how 15.5 pans out.

Matt

If you think RL 15 is hard to find, Varget will be harder. Any serious competition shooter is on a dozen waiting list for Varget.

I learned over the years to work up a load and stick to it but make the powder selections carefully. I live in a cool dry climate so powder lifespan will be longer than mine. In between the two or three shortage cycles originally created by Big O and Slick Willie and continuing through to today, I decided on going exclusively with Hodgdon extreme powders for practically all my smokeless loading. I sold or traded off all other powders. I built up enough for my future loading. I have ignored the tendency to buy when available… all the odd, cheap powders that pop up.

The process has taken a couple of years. Best decision I ever made for simplifying my reloading life :). I currently have enough Varget, Benchmark, H 4350, H 4895 and H 4831SC for any future. The only non H extreme smokeless powder I have is 5744 for cast bullet loads. I also have enough BP 2, 3 and 4F for all my percussion and flint shooting.

BTW, closest LGS Varget price as of yesterday was $56

If you think RL 15 is hard to find, Varget will be harder. Any serious competition shooter is on a dozen waiting list for Varget.
This is absolutely true. If you can't find a load that works with Varget, you need to sell the rifle.

Make sure that you order from Powder Valley not Powders Valley. Powders Valley has a site that looks exactly like Powder Valley and has everything in stock. they require you to use PayPal before shipping. It is a scam. They do not exist. I have

Be sure to order from Powder Valley not Powders Valley. Powder Valley is legit. Powders Valley isn't. Powders Valley has everything in stock and as soon as you send them their money via PayPal they tell you they will send it. They don't exist. I was a fool and I paid $150 to learn.
Dhutson:

Wow, that's never fun! I've been fortunately buying from Powder Valley for ~ 15 years (?) or so I believe. I have them book marked as well as have an account with them. Always check, and sign in to it. Works.

Appreciate the heads up!

Matt

Definitely true Inline6! Am fortunate to have stumbled across some Varget at reasonable prices a while ago.

None of the traditional "go-to" powders easy to find, much less at reasonable prices.

Matt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fedup2

Latest profile posts

Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.