Gold supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
RSA, Canada, USA, NZ
In my quest to understand what is involved in owning a double rifle, and for those of us that don’t own a Double, and are interested in buying one in (in my case) the near future (next two years) I thought I would post an article I read recently about regulation. You hear the term often in the double rifle conversation, and I know it is important, so please enjoy the article and feel free to weigh in…

That is a solid explanation of how a manufacture/gun builder regulates a double. That rifle is regulated with a specific loaded round. Most other manufactures round should shoot reasonably close to what the factory used to regulate the rifle with. Say it was a 470 NE regulated with Norma PH ammo. The hornaday, RWS etc will hopefully shoot to the same POI and acceptable accuracy. Reloading and developing a round that shoots to the same POI as what the rifle is regulated for is a whole different and interesting conversation.

My suggestion is that you try and track down a copy of Graeme Wright Shooting the British Double rifle book and read it cover to cover several times before you purchase your double. It would also be helpful if you can find someone close to you that has a double and will let you shoot a few rounds.

Oh no, he’s using a lead sled. Some of our pros should straighten him out.
Been using one for 25 years or so on everything from .22 through .470 - one, two, or three barrels (drillings). I have never had an issue with a stock and groups from the sled print exactly the same over sticks or hasty field rests. That is not what I believe, that is what I have experienced.

A friend of mine is in the custom loading business and has developed loads for client rifles of all types for decades. He also uses one.

I think the whole notion that they are somehow hard on rifles and stocks is one of those myths that is the work of group think perpetuated in sites like this one. Rather like critics of OU rifles, the R8 as a dangerous game rifle, or using optics on a double rifle, the most ardent critics don't own one.

Krieghoff, told me as long as the sled moves on recoil it would not harm the stock. He even went so far to say if my rifle was damaged using a sled they would repair it free. If built and aligned correctly that should not harm a stock.

You will Run into trouble if the rifle is mounted solid with no give.

Get Graeme Wrights book .... If you use a lead sled, sand bags, pillows or shooting sticks make sure your hand is between the barrels (holding the gun as you shooting offhand) and what ever your resting it on as it will effect recoil and Point of Impact

Here is the sled Krieghoff uses to regulate rifles. Not a lead sled. But a sled

IMG_2805.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Krieghoff, told me as long as the sled moves on recoil it would not harm the stock. He even went so far to say if my rifle was damaged using a sled they would repair it free. If built and aligned correctly that should not harm a stock.

You will Run into trouble if the rifle is mounted solid with no give.
This is exactly why i use a lead sled that has an open fork on the butt end so while my shoulder takes the recoil as the rifle freely moves i have the steadiest of rests to sight all my rifles in before moving to sticks

That picture in the article to my eye shows that he isn’t using the rear “pocket” on the lead sled for the buttstock, looks to me like he’s shouldering it and using the front adjustments. Everyone’s experience is different. I know of at least 3 broken guns due to the lead sled. If it moves with the recoil I would imagine that makes a difference, but when you load it up with weight so the recoil has no where to go, bad news.

I would only use a sled while dialing in. Then move to a real life shooting position. If the sled moves back at recoil. It should not harm the stock.

That picture in the article to my eye shows that he isn’t using the rear “pocket” on the lead sled for the buttstock, looks to me like he’s shouldering it and using the front adjustments. Everyone’s experience is different. I know of at least 3 broken guns due to the lead sled. If it moves with the recoil I would imagine that makes a difference, but when you load it up with weight so the recoil has no where to go, bad news.
As I say, I actually own one that I have used since the nineties. I have used it regularly for sighting in on every rifle of every type of every chambering that I own. Those run from 22lr to .470 and represent tens of thousands of rounds down range. I have never - not once - had an issue. As I also noted, a good friend is in the custom ammunition business which includes taking in dozens of rifles a year to develop custom loads. Never an issue.

Note that the Krieghoff sled has both a pocket and a projection to prevent recoil from reaching the shooter. I don't see any hidden hydraulics either.

As @zephyr notes, I have found it important, when shooting a double, to rest the rifle in the hand. However, that has nothing to do with the sled.

As I say, I actually own one that I have used since the nineties. I have used it regularly for sighting in on every rifle of every type of every chambering that I own. Those run from 22lr to .470 and represent tens of thousands of rounds down range. I have never - not once - had an issue. As I also noted, a good friend is in the custom ammunition business which includes taking in dozens of rifles a year to develop custom loads. Never an issue.

Note that the Krieghoff sled has both a pocket and a projection to prevent recoil from reaching the shooter. I don't see any hidden hydraulics either.

As @zephyr notes, I have found it important, when shooting a double, to rest the rifle in the hand. However, that has nothing to do with the sled.
Hopefully it keeps working out for you, I will never use one again, have owned and used one a long time ago, and got rid of it. Your experience doesn’t change the fact I know of multiple breaks, and also have had the lead sled discussion with a custom rifle maker some years ago that used to build lightweight hunting rifles in magnum calibers, he advised against using one. IMO guns are meant to move during recoil, a light caliber that doesn’t really recoil anyway probably never have a problem. I guess my next question for you Red Leg….why not just shoot your guns from a bench with good rests and get the practice, why shoot thousands of rounds from the sled, all that’s doing is testing the rifle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexseen12

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.