Begger

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA, DU, QU, SCI
Hunted
US, Limpopo RSA.
What about putting a reflex sight on a DGR? You don’t get the magnification for a long shot, but how often do you really make a long shot that needs magnification? Opinions on this set up for a DGR are appreciated.

i literally was going to ask this same question today. looking forward to the responses

Not looking for brand as much as proof of concept.

I use a Trijicon 1.0 RMR on my Heym 500 NE double and a Leupold VX-6 Firedot 1-6x24 on my Winchester M70 416 RM.

While not traditional (people will complain) red dot sights are superior to all other forms of sights at close range. Just make sure to get an optic with a small enough dot to allow precision at distance.

-matt

I use a Trijicon RMR on my Brno 458 Lott. A big improvement for old eyes over open irons. My Brno has the pop up peep and I find my groups are tighter with the RMR. One other advantdage is the open area for loading of the RMR over a tube type sight.

I've posted on other similar threads that the Trijicon RMR red dot sight on my double rifle has made a huge difference in accuracy and performed very well on cape buffalo and nyala in Africa. I agree with matt85 above on and put the VX6 1-6X24 Firedot scope on my 416 Rigby Big Game rifle.
If you watch closely on some of the hunting shows like Hornady's Dark and Dangerous or Tracks Across Africa, you will see some of the PH's carrying double rifles mounted with an RMR sight. I believe that one of Heym's youtube videos has a discussion of use of red dot sights.

The concept works....

I have had an Aimpoint Micro on my 404 for just about 1000 shots now.

The past few years that is all I hunted with. Shots up to 200m becomes easy, but it is in the thickets where some quick shooting is sometimes needed where it comes to its own right.

The advantages:
Your loading port is completely open
Gun balances and handles like an open sighted rifle (nothing beats this feeling)
You do not have a front bead that covers half of the target, so you can aim smaller
You can stretch the distance a bit easier than with open sights
With the parralax free sights you shoot where the dot is

As much as I love good old open sights, I just cannot fault the use of a good red dot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rowan458

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.